Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roman boxing gloves found near Hadrian's Wall

Black Monk

Roman boxing gloves have been discovered near Hadrian’s Wall, thought to be the only known surviving examples, even though the sport was well-documented on Roman wall paintings, mosaics and sculptures.

With a protective guard designed to fit snugly over the knuckles, the gloves were packed with natural material which acted as shock absorbers. They date from around AD120 and were certainly made to last: they still fit comfortably on a modern hand. One of them even retains the impression of the knuckles of its ancient wearer.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/19/rare-roman-boxing-gloves-found-hadrians-wall

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 7

They look more like knuckledusters than boxing gloves to me. Boxing gloves are intended to protect both combatants from serious injury whereas the intent of these leather implements are only to protect the wearer while still being able to inflict maximum damage to the opponent.
Still a very exciting find though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LittleDevil said:

They look more like knuckledusters than boxing gloves to me. Boxing gloves are intended to protect both combatants from serious injury whereas the intent of these leather implements are only to protect the wearer while still being able to inflict maximum damage to the opponent.
Still a very exciting find though.

They appear to be a type of Roman boxing glove called the Cestus, which derived from the Olympics of Ancient Greece.

1cb65debfc5d881eb8e1e5bac58c9d9e--roman-

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Great find, being from that neck of the woods, I've been there a few times and along the wall, it's beautiful in spring, summer and Autumn...fricken wet and freezing in winter...

It's a great walk along the wall. I remember as a kid visiting Hadrian's Wall and buying some replica Roman coins from a nearby visitors' shop. What can be better than walking alongside the world's largest Roman artefact on a beautiful day surrounded by beautiful countryside?

Edited by Black Monk

42 minutes ago, oldrover said:

If there's a better post than this anytime soon I'll be surprised.

It's that fellow from the Warburtons advert on TV where he's stood on Bolton town hall steps.

Just now, Black Monk said:

It's that fellow from the Warburtons advert on TV where he's stood on Bolton town hall steps.

I can't place that ad. In fact I can't bring to mind any Warburtons ads. I know I've seen them. Mind blank. 

16 hours ago, oldrover said:

I can't place that ad. In fact I can't bring to mind any Warburtons ads. I know I've seen them. Mind blank. 

Warburtons is a great Bolton company (along with Reebok) and I was there on the day Mr Stallone stood on the steps of Bolton town hall for the Warburtons advert he was in.