Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

KFC runs out of chicken!

acute

KFC has temporarily closed two-thirds of its UK restaurants after a 'logistics problem' caused a nationwide chicken shortage.  Some of their franchises remain open, but with a restricted menu.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/kfc-chicken-shortage-restaurant-closed-update-which-where-when-open-uk-us-a8219066.html

Edited by acute
  • Like 6

No great loss there, I'd rather do Popeye's.  But they might not be in the UK.   

• Like 4

Crunchyz on Deane Road does good fried chicken.

In Britain when you go to various takeaways they ask you if you want normal salt or red salt on your meal. I always tell them I want red salt, because it's absolute delicious. I don't know what it is and when I ask them they say they don't know what it is either. It's a bit of a mystery.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, acute said:

^ Is this a North-West thing?  I've never heard of red salt!

I'm in the North West, and I've never heard of it either.

Sounds like a Commie plot to infiltrate our chicken outlets to me! :ph34r:

• Like 3

The full story:

KFC decided to cut costs by sacking their existing chicken distribution contractor, and accepting an offer from DHL instead. Purely on the basis that it was cheaper.

But - unlike the previous contractor - DHL has no experience in this sort of thing, and woefully underestimated the resources necessary to do the job. The result is that chickens didn't make it to the restaurants.

Non of the restaurants.

around 70% of all UK KFC outlets have been closed for 3 days now.

An attempt at penny-pinching has brought the whole edifice down. The chickens are coming home to roost, and both KFC and DHL have egg on their faces. !

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LV-426 said:

I'm in the North West, and I've never heard of it either.

Sounds like a Commie plot to infiltrate our chicken outlets to me! :ph34r:

They do have it in various high street takeaways. Probably not all, but a lot of them.

When I get a cheeseburger meal from a takeaway I tell them to put red salt on the chips.

28 minutes ago, Keel M. said:

39691035084_090d0a7a93.jpg

Some of those jokes on Dave are difficult to get. Sometimes I have to think about a joke for a few moments before I get it.

Police tell KFC customers to stop calling 999 about chicken shortage

Tower Hamlets Police tweeted:

“Please do not contact us about the #KFCCrisis - it is not a police matter if your favourite eatery is not serving the menu that you desire.”

http://www.theweek.co.uk/91809/police-tell-kfc-customers-to-stop-calling-999-about-chicken-shortage

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, acute said:

Police tell KFC customers to stop calling 999 about chicken shortage

http://www.theweek.co.uk/91809/police-tell-kfc-customers-to-stop-calling-999-about-chicken-shortage

Anybody who does this should be locked up and the key thrown away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

They should just make the number longer. 

• Like 3

Red salt is awesome! Also known as chip spice. 

Believe it has a smattering of paprika in it. 

A customer bought me a chicken burger meal and it had red salt on it, I loved it.

I went to my local and he threw a load on it, woke up like ghandis flip flop!

Allen's fried chicken is a good substitute for kfc, even has history with colonel sanders. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I agree. Put them up before the beak.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Redefining Success said:

Red salt is awesome! Also known as chip spice. 

Believe it has a smattering of paprika in it. 

A customer bought me a chicken burger meal and it had red salt on it, I loved it.

I went to my local and he threw a load on it, woke up like ghandis flip flop!

Allen's fried chicken is a good substitute for kfc, even has history with colonel sanders. 

Allen's is good. There's one on Bradshawgate in the town centre.

On 20/02/2018 at 5:29 PM, Black Monk said:

...they ask you if you want normal salt or red salt on your meal. I always tell them I want red salt, because it's absolute delicious. I don't know what it is and when I ask them they say they don't know what it is either. It's a bit of a mystery.

According to my research, Schwartz make a version of Red Salt called 'Perfect Shake Chips Seasoning'.

Ingredients:  Salt , Paprika (20%) , Dried Onion (14%) , Maltodextrin , Garlic Granules (8%) , Sugar , Smoked Paprika , Flavouring , Acid (Citric Acid) , Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide) , Black Pepper , Colour (Paprika Extract) , Sunflower Oil .

• Like 2

What a waste of food.

KFC is struggling to find charities to which it can donate thousands of tonnes of surplus chicken that has been stored in an unregistered depot during a supply crisis that has closed 160 stores for almost a week, inquiries by the Guardian suggest.

On Wednesday, the fast-food chain said it would have to destroy at least some of the chicken at a cold storage facility in Rugby, Warwickshire. It is run by DHL, the company in charge of a troubled supply contract with 900 KFC outlets.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/22/kfc-surplus-chicken-charities-store-supply-crisis

• Like 2