Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jupiter's Great Red Spot could soon disappear

UM-Bot

Unlike hurricanes on Earth, it has nothing to "run into" to tear it apart and weaken it. If they don't really know how it formed or what has powered it all these centuries, it could go on for thousands of years, merely waxing and waning in strength. 

I thought it had disappeared a while back, then came back. Now I'm confused. 

Edited by Grandpa Greenman

The Great Red Spot varies greatly in hue, from almost brick-red to pale salmon, or even white. In fact, the spot occasionally "disappears", becoming evident only through the Red Spot Hollow, which is its niche[clarify]in the South Equatorial Belt (SEB). Its visibility is apparently coupled to the SEB; when the belt is bright white, the spot tends to be dark, and when it is dark, the spot is usually light. These periods when the spot is dark or light occur at irregular intervals; as of 1997, during the preceding 50 years, the spot was darkest in the periods 1961–1966, 1968–1975, 1989–1990, and 1992–1993.[5]

I think that is what was confusing me. I get it now, It just changes color on occasion making it harder to see.    

Well it's good to have learnt something new and interesting today, as I had no idea that Jupiter's great red spot was slowly evaporating. If the colossal storm does eventually dissipate by blowing itself out. It will be a shame, as it's been one of the most extraordinary and unique features (among many others) that this beautiful planet has been known for. 

• Like 1

On 21.2.2018 at 3:54 AM, Grandpa Greenman said:

I thought it had disappeared a while back, then came back. Now I'm confused. 

I think you mix that up with the disappearance of the SEB (South Equatorial Belt) in 2009/2010-

cW3W3u9.jpg

May 20, 2010: In a development that has transformed the appearance of the solar system's largest planet, one of Jupiter's two main cloud belts has completely disappeared. "This is a big event," says planetary scientist Glenn Orton of NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab. "We're monitoring the situation closely and do not yet fully understand what's going on."

Full story

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Astra. said:

Well it's good to have learnt something new and interesting today, as I had no idea that Jupiter's great red spot was slowly evaporating. If the colossal storm does eventually dissipate by blowing itself out. It will be a shame, as it's been one of the most extraordinary and unique features (among many others) that this beautiful planet has been known for. 

Oh yes:

ftAdjTR.jpg

Credit:NASA

• Like 3

Hmmm, they don't what it is made of, what causes it or how old it is, they think it should have disappeared a long time ago, but now somebody thinks they know when it should end? Are you fu€£I got kidding me?

On 2/21/2018 at 8:48 PM, Grandpa Greenman said:

I think that is what was confusing me. I get it now, It just changes color on occasion making it harder to see.    

There's also the stuff with Neptune's blue spots that sometimes show up and then disappear again.

On 2/22/2018 at 10:53 PM, toast said:

Oh yes:

ftAdjTR.jpg

Credit:NASA

Oh man, screw Mars, I wanna visit that cloud land... :wub:

• Like 1