Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Queen Mary

Ben Baffin

Hi Guys,

I'm just arrived in this forum, although I had an ongoing interest for the paranormal for quite a while now. Recently a specific topic kept drawing my attention through YouTube, it's the haunted Queen Mary ship. Now, after watching a bunch of these "Walk-Through"-Videos, I got into the topic a little deeper. In the videos, people were usually talking about several deaths happening on the boat while in service, afterwards and even still as a tourist spot. What I found didn't exactly meet my expectations, I didn't find any articles/information about any deaths on the ship, there are several stories, but no actual proof of people dying on the ship. As a newbie to this whole paranormal thing, I just wanted to get a few opinions on how much you guys believe this whole tourist attraction is real and how much is just for the commercial aspect, because clearly this is a leading term here, there were a lot of things happening in those videos that just seemed to predictable, I feel like in the case of Queen Mary the whole haunted part is just a setup, I feel like it has something to it's history tho, all those locked rooms seem pretty serious and the whole story behind it does not seem completely made up, I would love to hear a little expert information on this.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Ben Baffin

• Like 1

Welcome to UM @Ben Baffin,

I assume you’re talking about this Queen Mary: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary

YouTube is definitely not a good place to get accurate information about this kind of thing, people will make up all kinds of stuff for hits. 

Here’s a good little article I found, it quotes a RMS Queen Mary historian too: https://patch.com/california/belmontshore/queen-mary-s-other-deaths

And the Wiki section on ‘Claims of haintings’ seems more likely too: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary#Claims_of_hauntings

So it seems like it’s just to bring paying customers.

• Like 1

Most Haunted went there. They discovered wet footprints at the (now empty) haunted swimming pool.

Edited by Black Monk

11 hours ago, Timonthy said:

YouTube is definitely not a good place to get accurate information about this kind of thing, people will make up all kinds of stuff for hits. 

And the Wiki section on ‘Claims of haintings’ seems more likely too: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Queen_Mary#Claims_of_hauntings

@Ben Baffin

I would also point out Wikipedia is not a good place to get accurate information either since Guerilla Skepticism on Wikipedia. I have seen articles change drastically.

You have to listen to all sides and think for yourself. I think it is likely that haunting phenomena has occurred on the Queen Mary from some serious seeming reports I have heard in the past.

Generally, the predictable divide is between those that don't believe in the existence of hauntings (paranormal activity) versus those that do. And the twain shall not meet on the Queen Mary either.

Edited by papageorge1

The  old tv show Sightings did a show on the Queen Mary, and it was also on Unsolved Mysteries as well. On one of these shows  they had a recorder down near the engine room and recorded the sounds of footsteps. I do think it's haunted, but there's also  probably a lot of hype as well. Some of the true stories might have been embellished over time.The pool area is usally mentioned  in regards to ghosts. I was in California, but never visited the Queen Mary on vacation when there.

My dad  years ago in the late 1950s did a TDY (tour of duty) for the US Airforce Security Service  to England and Germany.He never mentioned  going to any haunted places in Germany, just a side trip to see relatives in Garmisch. However, when in England he visited Hampton Court, Windsor Castle and th eTower of London.At the Tower of London the beefeater who gave  the tour, talked about the ghost of Anne Boleyn having been seen as well as several others.The tower has long been known to be haunted  for centuries.

@papageorge1, if you’re going to quote me, please use the full quote or indicate if you’ve *snip*ped anything out/paraphrased.

It confuses people and is inaccurate, even if you are only responding to a specific part of the quote. 

Thank you for your time Mr papageorge1

Thanks to all of you guys for answering so quickly! I kinda assumed that this would be the case, there is a lot of commercial thoughts behind this haunted scenes and people believe obviously faked things. Yesterday I watched a video from the YouTuber Shane Dawson whose videos are in almost every case designated to about 9-13 year old's, his video about the RMS Queen Mary was no different. Maybe some of you are going to watch it now and give me their opinion on it. (It's 3 parts, but he is only actually on the boat in part 2 and 3 just FYI)

@HollyDolly SNIPPED QUOTE:

9 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

The  old tv show Sightings did a show on the Queen Mary, and it was also on Unsolved Mysteries as well. On one of these shows  they had a recorder down near the engine room and recorded the sounds of footsteps. I do think it's haunted, but there's also  probably a lot of hype as well. Some of the true stories might have been embellished over time.The pool area is usally mentioned  in regards to ghosts. I was in California, but never visited the Queen Mary on vacation when there.

My dad  years ago in the late 1950s did a TDY (tour of duty) for the US Airforce Security Service  to England and Germany.He never mentioned  going to any haunted places in Germany, just a side trip to see relatives in Garmisch. However, when in England he visited Hampton Court, Windsor Castle and th eTower of London.At the Tower of London the beefeater who gave  the tour, talked about the ghost of Anne Boleyn having been seen as well as several others.The tower has long been known to be haunted  for centuries.

That's very interesting to hear, I'm from Germany and just recently moved to the United States, I myself didn't hear of any haunted places in Germany, they are probably just a little behind in that business :D.

However, thanks again for all your responds, maybe I'll come up with a few new interest soon.

40 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

@papageorge1, if you’re going to quote me, please use the full quote or indicate if you’ve *snip*ped anything out/paraphrased.

It confuses people and is inaccurate, even if you are only responding to a specific part of the quote. 

Thank you for your time Mr papageorge1

I see nothing I took out of context in my post. Do you always hit quote and leave the whole lengthier post rather than pointing out certain sections?

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I see nothing I took out of context in my post. Do you always hit quote and leave the whole lengthier post rather than pointing out certain sections?

It detracts from the discussion by adding inaccuracy and ambiguity. 

Of course not, that’s what the *snip* denotes in posts. 

In the ‘bone black’ thread I am leaving large whole quoted posts, because some people seem to get easily confused by who or what they’re replying to, and that thread doesn’t need any more grey areas.

These large, heavily trafficked and older locations always seem to be good options to find the type of haunting known as "recordings" to me. Audial recordings. Footsteps, distant voices, sounds. I worked for years in an old airport at night and once it got quiet it was full of that sort of thing. I always wondered how it could happen and wished there was a way for science to perhaps explain that type of thing. I always suspected they were less paranormal and just something we do not know about yet which can happen in some types of places.

Welcome Ben and I hope you stay around :).

Searching the British newspaper archives and I found 'many' passengers who died on the ship.  Literally hundreds of results came up.  I just glanced down the first page and saw the following:

1936 - Able Seaman fractures skull aboard Queen Mary.  Taken off and dies soon after.

1936 - Captain of new liner Queen Mary suffers fatal stroke in cabin.  Taken off and dies soon after.

1936 - A female passenger has died aboard the Queen Mary.

1936 - Golden wedding tragedy.  Mr. Frank Coffin, 73 fractures skull aboard Queen Mary and dies.

1936 - Able Seaman killed.  Fatal accident aboard Queen Mary.

1947 - Famous Evangelist Gipsy Smith, 87, dies of heart attack aboard the Queen Mary.

1950 - Mr Robert Rolland Metcalf, 37 died suddenly aboard the Queen Mary.

1950 - Mr. William H. Barrett, 69 died in his sleep from heart failure aboard the Queen Mary.

The list goes on and on......

Edited by Aaron2016

1 hour ago, Aaron2016 said:

Searching the British newspaper archives and I found 'many' passengers who died on the ship.  Literally hundreds of results came up.  I just glanced down the first page and saw the following:

1936 - Able Seaman fractures skull aboard Queen Mary.  Taken off and dies soon after.

1936 - Captain of new liner Queen Mary suffers fatal stroke in cabin.  Taken off and dies soon after.

1936 - A female passenger has died aboard the Queen Mary.

1936 - Golden wedding tragedy.  Mr. Frank Coffin, 73 fractures skull aboard Queen Mary and dies.

1936 - Able Seaman killed.  Fatal accident aboard Queen Mary.

1947 - Famous Evangelist Gipsy Smith, 87, dies of heart attack aboard the Queen Mary.

1950 - Mr Robert Rolland Metcalf, 37 died suddenly aboard the Queen Mary.

1950 - Mr. William H. Barrett, 69 died in his sleep from heart failure aboard the Queen Mary.

The list goes on and on......

Very interesting. Could you provide a link, please?

12 hours ago, Don Caesar said:

Very interesting. Could you provide a link, please?

Thanks.  Here are the results from the british newspaper archive website.  I'm not a member, but the results can still be seen.  e.g.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1936-01-01/1969-12-31?basicsearch=%2baboard %2bqueen %2bmary %2bdies&freesearch=aboard queen mary dies&retrievecountrycounts=false&sortorder=score

Edited by Aaron2016