Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Dogman airsoft battle

Sirsquatchicorn

I know this one.. The story has changed  a wee bit in the details over the years. The guy of the original story had an interview podcast or radio thing a while back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rashore said:

I know this one.. The story has changed  a wee bit in the details over the years. The guy of the original story had an interview podcast or radio thing a while back.

I was thinking the same thing but the narration is a bit hard for me to understand so I wasn't sure

• Like 1

Yep- found it.

This seems to be the closest version to the one narrated in the OP. There's a couple of word changes this written and the narration. It's from June 2017: https://nationalcryptidsociety.org/2017/06/28/ncs-case-file-16/

And in date order, a few of the postings of this story...

Nov 2013:

April 2015:

May 2016:

2017: https://dogmanencounters.com/burnette-county-wi-encounter-2/

Last but not least, the 2015 interview- it's an hour long radio interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2DKu1tlGQs

• Like 1

@rashore

The whole "dogman" phenomenon started out in areas inhabited by Algonquians. Originally Algonquian Kiimochniis (Night Walkers) would have their alveolar ridge smashed out of their lower faces and several of their bottom teeth pulled out to attach a wolf snout making it look like part of their faces and even open and close when their mouths moved.  I think several settlers saw this contraption and the legends grew from there.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Piney said:

@rashore

The whole "dogman" phenomenon started out in areas inhabited by Algonquians. Originally Algonquian Kiimochniis (Night Walkers) would have their alveolar ridge smashed out of their lower faces and several of their bottom teeth pulled out to attach a wolf snout making it look like part of their faces and even open and close when their mouths moved.  I think several settlers saw this contraption and the legends grew from there.

Yes indeed. And just saying, that sounds like horrible wrecking to the face there, that sounds wretched. But you know the deep roots, I ain't gonna question folks really did that... but just ew.

I would also add to the deep roots there and a bit more into the timeframe I know a bit about.. settlers also bringing in their notions of things like werewolves and other deadly wolf tales from their home countries that have laid over the roots and adapted and changed on their own. Or at least in Wisconsin, it's my home state and one I've tracked a bit with this.

Something interesting with this.. Burnett County is notably heavily Swedish with the early settlers, and the influence of were comes via the Varuliv of the Sami people. Down in SE Wisconsin is the home of the Bray Road Beast, and that area was heavily settled by Germans and their influence on the were lore. The European layering over the root Algonquian lore shows I think. Burnetts dogmen seem do describe out as more animal/beastal kind of scary like the Varuliv, where the Bray Road beast is more like the wolfy man with it's description- and noteworthy is that farther back in the legends there, it talked. I think that makes it a particularly interesting point back to native deep root lore.

The moniker dogman in general kind of makes me giggle, I don't usually associate it with the more "serious" were lore. That's because I can't help but think of the Michigan Dogman and the silly song that became a UL.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, rashore said:

Last but not least, the 2015 interview- it's an hour long radio interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2DKu1tlGQs

That's where I had heard it. Its actually Vic Cundiff's show that got me interested in the dogman phenomenon. Some of his guests are either Oscar worthy actors or they really were traumatized by something. 

yep, nothing like a good 'story'

keeps the ol' fantasy juices flowing...

And why not!? nout wrong with it...

though a little tedious for me but hey= what do I know;)

• Like 1