Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

White powder letter sent to Harry and Meghan

Still Waters

Scotland Yard is investigating after a letter addressed to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry that contained white powder prompted an anthrax scare.

The letter was received this month at St James Palace in central London. The powder inside was found to be harmless after being examined by experts.

The couple are due to be married in May and the letter was received at the palace shortly before a package containing white powder also prompted a scare at the Palace of Westminster.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/22/white-powder-letter-prince-harry-meghan-markle-anthrax-scare

Harmless substance or not, what the hell is wrong with people these days?

Who takes time out of their day to do something like this :no:

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Republicans.

9 hours ago, LV-426 said:

8 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Republicans.

Racists.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Republicans.

Of course. Who else? The evidence is incontovertible even though the article reports the police as saying they are treating it as a racist attack.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Setton said:

Racists.

That's what the article says the police think.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Of course. Who else? The evidence is incontovertible even though the article reports the police as saying they are treating it as a racist attack.

Well there was a lot of anger from white supremacists that a British prince was engaged to a mixed race woman. 

Presumably the met have other evidence leading them in that direction too. 

• Like 2

Whoever sent the letter, if caught, needs to be given a really LONG time to ponder their stupidity.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, and then said:

Whoever sent the letter, if caught, needs to be given a really LONG time to ponder their stupidity.

Why 'LONG'? There was no proveable malicious intent. The powder was harmless despite the implied threat. Even if racist the people who sent it are merely misguided. However, it would be a different thing if they followed through on their implied threat.

I have no doubt that a number of ordinary people around the UK will have received similar unpleasant but physically harmless 'messages' in the post and nobody makes a public song and dance about it.

Edited by Ozymandias

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Why 'LONG'? There was no proveable malicious intent. The powder was harmless despite the implied threat. Even if racist the people who sent it are merely misguided. However, it would be a different thing if they followed through on their implied threat.

I have no doubt that a number of ordinary people around the UK will have received similar unpleasant but physically harmless 'messages' in the post and nobody makes a public song and dance about it.

Its terrorism. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Its terrorism. 

Well, if you and the police know that to be the case that puts an entirely different complection on it. The article says it was motivated by racism, and we all know that racism is associated with a spectrum of personal behaviour from disparagement all the way up to murder.

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Well, if you and the police know that to be the case that puts an entirely different complection on it. The article says it was motivated by racism, and we all know that racism is associated with a spectrum of personal behaviour from disparagement all the way up to murder.

It was terrorism that was motivated by race.   

• Like 2

Just now, Black Monk said:

Or republicans.

Please forgive my ignorance, are republicans a political party in the UK? 

11 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Well modern British police forces have a habit of treating many attacks and threats as "race hate" crimes - and then it turns out they were nothing of the sort.

The police treated the murder of Polish man Arkadiusz Jozwik as a "race hate" crime and Remainers used it as evidence that Brexit Britain has become more racist.

It subsequently turned out in the trial that it wasn't a race hate assault, and the man had punched Jozwik because it was Jozwik who racially abused him, calling him a "prawn."

Edited by Black Monk

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Please forgive my ignorance, are republicans a political party in the UK? 

Republicans are the fringe minority who want a republic and have often resorted to such measures in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Not often Ozy I disagree with your points, but on this one I do at least to an extent. Now I have no love of the royal family, monarchy in the 21st century is well past its sell by date. But that said, as people, they are individuals who deserve to be treated the same as everyone else, no better no worse. A harmless package - dressed as a non harmless package is an implied threat no matter who it is sent to or who the sender is. The circumstances need to investigated and if identified those responsible brought through the legal system in the normal way and given the appropriate sentence.

Where I agree with you is that the sentence should be appropriate to the crime - not to the intended victims.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Setton said:

Well there was a lot of anger from white supremacists that a British prince was engaged to a mixed race woman. 

Was there? Where's your evidence for this?

1 minute ago, Black Monk said:

Republicans are the fringe minority who want a republic and have often resorted to such measures in the past.

Ahh ok thank you. I appreciate the education! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Was there? Where's your evidence for this?

Google is your friend. 

And the racist message that reportedly came with the white powder would be some indication. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Not often Ozy I disagree with your points, but on this one I do at least to an extent. Now I have no love of the royal family, monarchy in the 21st century is well past its sell by date. But that said, as people, they are individuals who deserve to be treated the same as everyone else, no better no worse. A harmless package - dressed as a non harmless package is an implied threat no matter who it is sent to or who the sender is. The circumstances need to investigated and if identified those responsible brought through the legal system in the normal way and given the appropriate sentence.

Where I agree with you is that the sentence should be appropriate to the crime - not to the intended victims.

As a committed republican I am in absolute agreement with you. Equality between people is a fundamental tenet of republicanism I would defend their right to be treated like anyone else.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Ahh ok thank you. I appreciate the education! 

There is no evidence whatsoever that republicans were involved in this episode. In fact, anti-monarchist republicans, as far as I can recall, do not engage in anything other than constitutional means in pursuit of their political goals. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Or republicans.

As far as I am aware there is no evidence at all that republicans are involved in this event. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

As far as I am aware there is no evidence at all that republicans are involved in this event. Do you have evidence to the contrary?

You don't have any evidence that it was racially motivated, either.

4 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

You don't have any evidence that it was racially motivated, either.

No, the police do.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1