Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Having a sibling can make you more empathic

Still Waters

For decades, researchers have demonstrated the numerous ways in which parents can positively influence their children’s development. This includes how confident they are, how well they do in school and how they interact with their friends

Far less attention has focused on the impact of children’s relationships with their brothers and sisters, despite the fact that most people grow up with at least one sibling and they tend to spend more time with one another than with parents or friends.

https://theconversation.com/new-research-shows-siblings-can-make-you-more-empathic-90755

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yeplid said:

Thanks, I totally agree with this. Had I been an only child, I would probably grow up to be a spoiled brat.

That depends on the parents. I'm sorta an only child. My brother died at birth. So yeah, siblings and empathy, if it works for you.

• Like 1

My sibling was the favourite, and got everything. I was abused and neglected, she was treated like a princess. Parents paid for her education (which she dropped out of three times) and let her live with them while she studied, while kicking me out at 18 without giving me any prior warning. All my sibling did for me was make me very, very cynical.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Podo said:

My sibling was the favourite, and got everything. I was abused and neglected, she was treated like a princess. Parents paid for her education (which she dropped out of three times) and let her live with them while she studied, while kicking me out at 18 without giving me any prior warning. All my sibling did for me was make me very, very cynical.

Have you ever gone to therapy, by any chance?

4 minutes ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Have you ever gone to therapy, by any chance?

Absolutely! When I was younger, I had a lot of rage about life in general, and I spent many years working through it with a therapist. Now, I'm cynical for other unrelated reasons :P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 10:57 AM, XenoFish said:

That depends on the parents. I'm sorta an only child. My brother died at birth. 

I'm kind of in the same situation as you. My brother died when he was 24 and I have no other siblings.