Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oldest mosaic at Roman Baths found

Still Waters

The mosaic was found by local volunteer Fiona Medland who is part of the team of volunteers from the Bath & Camerton Archaeological Society (BACAS) that are helping professional archaeologists from Cotswold Archaeology to carry out the dig.

Fiona said ‘Finding the mosaic was the luck of being allocated “the sewer” to clean up. I thought it was just the edge of the door threshold until it dried a bit and showed all the individual tesserae [cubes of stone].So I cleaned it up further and revealed a couple of rows, 

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2018/02/archaeologists-find-oldest-mosaic-roman-baths-bath/118486

There isn't much of it to see so far, I hope they publish more later.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Still Waters said:

There isn't much of it to see so far, I hope they publish more later.

I would love to get in there with a little brush and gradually uncover something like that.

• Like 3

I hope its nothing too trashy or dirty ...

~

Bath is fantastic anyway it was a Celtic site before the Romans built a bath house over the natural hot spring, the whole town is worth a visit.

• Like 4

Sulis was the deity worshipped by the Britons at the natural hot springs in what is now Bath. The Romans came along and built baths ("Aquae Sulis") over the natural hot springs, and the Romano-Britons worshipped the deity there that they then called Sulis Minerva.

Unfortunately, bathing in the Roman baths of Bath is now forbidden.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

Sulis was the deity worshipped by the Britons at the natural hot springs in what is now Bath. The Romans came along and built baths ("Aquae Sulis") over the natural hot springs, and the Romano-Britons worshipped the deity there that they then called Sulis Minerva.

Man that's beautiful 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Black Monk said:

You're not supposed to touch the water but i watched a Buddhist monk kneeling at the side of the water bathing his head.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

You're not supposed to touch the water but i watched a Buddhist monk kneeling at the side of the water bathing his head.

In 1591, Elizabeth I charged Bath with responsibility for the hot springs.  That duty passed to Bath and North East Somerset Council, who carry out monitoring of pressure, temperature and flow rates. The thermal waters contain sodium, calcium, chloride and sulphate ions in high concentrations.

The water that flows through the Roman Baths is now considered unsafe for bathing partly because the water still flows through the original Roman lead pipes. In October 1978, a young girl swimming in the Roman Bath contracted meningitis and died. Tests showed disease-carrying amoebae were in the water.

Every day, over a quarter of a million gallons of hot water rises at the baths through the Pennyquick fault, having originally fallen as rain in the Mendip Hills.

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 1