Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kota

Okay, so not many forums talk about this case so I thought I’d try here.

If you know of the Rampart street Murders in New Orleans I’m curious as to what you think happened in the days leading to and after the murder - as the information seems scarce on this case, nobody I know can find even the crime scene photos. What do you guys think made Zack just flip and murder Addie? Also they were living above a voodoo temple at the time, do you think that amplified anything in any way?

1FE8A19A-3577-459D-9F68-A81BB8919560.jpeg

Edited by Kota
Updating with pic
  • Like 1

Hiya Kota ... welcome aboard ... its kinda on the slow end of the forum members ... give it a bit of time to sink in ...

~

• Like 1

Well, to get this going, apparently a young couple moved to New Orleans around Katrina time and rented an apartment together over a VooDoo Temple. Short story, he killed and dismembered and ate his GF, then lived well on his cash then suicided. Here is a quick catch of links on it:

a blog  http://blog.nola.com/tpcrimearchive/2006/10/boyfriend_cut_up_corpse_cooked.html

most of the rest top returns are paranormal films or shows etc. This one seems mellower than some, was supposedly the first "investigation". I won't bother with more. Google for a dozen more.

http://www.destinationamerica.com/thehauntist/the-sad-and-gruesome-history-of-new-orleans-rampart-street-murder-house/

as for the voodoo angle, Kota, I am fully initiated in traditional Vodou to asogwe rank which is as high as it goes and been involved for almost twenty years in the religion. I call BS on that doing anything for a stable, rational person. The wack jobs out there chopping up people and animals are generally outsiders who read too much or watch TV horror shows too much and at best once were around a fringe house of something claiming to be in an African Traditional Religion. I am not related to the clan running that temple however, it is reputable and not fringe at all. I am also a retired cop. Maybe I am biased but we really do not go around killing people. The spirits we work with do not run amok. Outsider imaginations do that, though. So, there is my take on THAT, and I have revealed my supposed bias and actual knowledge of the culture and people and things going on down there in NOLA and the very small Vodou community. I will, however, look over this stuff and these links if you want to see if I notice anything as regards that. The folks in that temple are not blood kin to me in the religion. Still, I know the spirits involved and there is NO butchering of people and NO cannibalism and no entities remotely into that sort of illness. I would have no part of a belief system which did. If a temple or group down there got into that we would run em out of town if we could not get them jailed. The community down there would not tolerate such a disgrace and wickedness being done in our name. That is NOT reglemen. No ma'am.

BTW welcome to UM :).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Well, to get this going, apparently a young couple moved to New Orleans around Katrina time and rented an apartment together over a VooDoo Temple. Short story, he killed and dismembered and ate his GF, then lived well on his cash then suicided. Here is a quick catch of links on it:

a blog  http://blog.nola.com/tpcrimearchive/2006/10/boyfriend_cut_up_corpse_cooked.html

most of the rest top returns are paranormal films or shows etc. This one seems mellower than some, was supposedly the first "investigation". I won't bother with more. Google for a dozen more.

http://www.destinationamerica.com/thehauntist/the-sad-and-gruesome-history-of-new-orleans-rampart-street-murder-house/

as for the voodoo angle, Kota, I am fully initiated in traditional Vodou to asogwe rank which is as high as it goes and been involved for almost twenty years in the religion. I call BS on that doing anything for a stable, rational person. The wack jobs out there chopping up people and animals are generally outsiders who read too much or watch TV horror shows too much and at best once were around a fringe house of something claiming to be in an African Traditional Religion. I am not related to the clan running that temple however, it is reputable and not fringe at all. I am also a retired cop. Maybe I am biased but we really do not go around killing people. The spirits we work with do not run amok. Outsider imaginations do that, though. So, there is my take on THAT, and I have revealed my supposed bias and actual knowledge of the culture and people and things going on down there in NOLA and the very small Vodou community. I will, however, look over this stuff and these links if you want to see if I notice anything as regards that. The folks in that temple are not blood kin to me in the religion. Still, I know the spirits involved and there is NO butchering of people and NO cannibalism and no entities remotely into that sort of illness. I would have no part of a belief system which did. If a temple or group down there got into that we would run em out of town if we could not get them jailed. The community down there would not tolerate such a disgrace and wickedness being done in our name. That is NOT reglemen. No ma'am.

BTW welcome to UM :).

Thank you for the reply :) as I said I don’t know much about voodoo (but I do study anthropology and what you’ve said is a great insight!) I guess I was thinking about how the city is so spiritual and because that was a place where the energies were so active maybe a few spirits were attracted there - not necessarily in relation to voodoo. From what I do know of voodoo the media portrayal seems very inaccurate. Also wow an ex cop - I’m studying the behavioral aspects and forensic psychology and planning to do an anthropology thesis on the culture that the inmates have built while trying to rehabilitate whom I can :) 

https://www.crimemuseum.org/2014/01/24/truly-chilling/ 

another blog on it that has a few details tossed into a Halloween effort for spooky. Kota I will see if my contacts down there can get me some media coverage on it. I am striking out and that annoys me when a murder gets buried under the hype. 

Back in a bit, those folks aren't always easy to catch :D

• Like 1

newsweek coverage of it  http://www.newsweek.com/horror-french-quarter-112039

this sounds pretty real to me and is what I was just told by a friend down there on the phone basically. Neither was known by the community down there, and word was he just went over the edge in a breakup. I know personally that PTSD deadens your emotions a lot, even numb. 

kind of off topic next link:

a supposed best friend of the couple worked on a film about them then ends up being a murderess herself here, but this is another topic really. Just I found it interesting to hear about:

http://wgno.com/2014/10/27/new-film-links-one-woman-to-two-gruesome-murders/

Now we have some links flowing, I am happy to chat on this if you wish. I think others will enjoy the read and jump in soon :). Hope I helped a bit.

• Like 2

Now that second and subsequent murder connected to this ensemble adds a totally different dimension to the whole chain of events ...

~

• Like 2

It really does, and I would bet that she had nothing to do with the original crime, but it ate at her and when she dealt with her own conflict situation that came out in how she acted. It is like some cops who get so embroiled in the bad side of town they end up in trouble and arrested as the lines blur on them. She was so sucked into their drama and memory and all that baggage and it buried her, too. JMO.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

It really does, and I would bet that she had nothing to do with the original crime, but it ate at her and when she dealt with her own conflict situation that came out in how she acted. It is like some cops who get so embroiled in the bad side of town they end up in trouble and arrested as the lines blur on them. She was so sucked into their drama and memory and all that baggage and it buried her, too. JMO.

I actually read that earlier! Margaret Sanchez I think is her name! It seems so complex psychologically for everyone, I’ve only found out a little, I would love to know more 

Getting into the mind of violent offenders is a rabbit hole indeed. You were talking about weak or vulnerable minds (I am paraphrasing, sorry, am tired LOL) and she is maybe the best example of this three-some. This murder was the biggest deal in her world, she was close enough to sort of bask in it and it took on way too much significance in her reality, sadly. 

Maybe you will have more luck with researching her case. The crime scene pics of this one seem hard to find and I think they need to stay that way. Nobody needs to see a cooked little lady like that. This is just sad. Also there was no cannibalism. No human meat in his system at autopsy. Maybe he opted to die before he did that? idk.

Possibly yes it is a good thing that they stay buried, the spray paint photos from the few documentaries were pretty intense alone. Margaret was the focus of one documentary im still trying to find and that apparently surprised detectives and helped find out more about her - due to her disposing of the body in the same way.

i think, by going off the suicide note Zack left, that he did eventually feel remorse and instead of disposing Addie as he had planned he took his own life. Such a fragile combination of alcoholism drug use and mental illness