Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
preacherman76

The Healing Power Of Positive Energy

36 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Keel M.

That is a beautiful story, preacherman. I have unfortunately heard too many horror stories of people with developmental disabilities being physically and, more horrifically, sexually abused. My brother is somewhat like this man, only mentally he's probably about 12 or 13. He has worked since high school, but lost jobs along the way for people taking advantage of him. It angers me that there are people in this world who would do harm to my brother or Eugene. Even if it's not physical or sexual abuse. Thanks so much for sharing this story. Would you mind if I shared it elsewhere?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
35 minutes ago, Keel M. said:

That is a beautiful story, preacherman. I have unfortunately heard too many horror stories of people with developmental disabilities being physically and, more horrifically, sexually abused. My brother is somewhat like this man, only mentally he's probably about 12 or 13. He has worked since high school, but lost jobs along the way for people taking advantage of him. It angers me that there are people in this world who would do harm to my brother or Eugene. Even if it's not physical or sexual abuse. Thanks so much for sharing this story. Would you mind if I shared it elsewhere?

Please do. His story deserves to be heard.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keel M.

Yesterday, I was at my part time job and a co-worker mentioned that her aunt who is only 48 years old was still in the hospital and the rest of her family was basically fighting in front of her. My co-worker said she was going to go to the family and whip them into shape. She said she believes that the negativity is doing a lot of harm. I hadn't heard what was going on, so I spoke to her one on one after our usual group meeting. Apparently her aunt had a stroke (what I suspected) and she's effectively in a coma. I told her I strongly believe she was on the right path of positivity and whipping her family into shape by getting them out of the hospital room with all their negativity. I told her this story that you shared here as the perfect example of the healing power of positivity. I strongly believe, also, that anyone in a coma can hear what's going on around them, so the "space" needs to be a positive one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katurian

Your wife is a lovely person. This story doesn't surprise me. Stress, abuse, and trauma weaken the immune system and cause illness, so it's unsurprising that receiving humane and kind treatment could have the opposite effect. Every institution that man went to for help throughout his life failed him, and if not for you wife, hospice would've as well. We need to do better as a society. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist

The OP appears to be in violation of HIPAA. Not sure it should be posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eight bits

It is reasonable to raise a HIPAA concern (always), but I'm not seeing the apparent violation. I trust Eugene isn't the man's real first name (note to preacherman and Keel: it isn't now). Someone would have a hard time constructively identifying "Eugene," even if they knew preacherman IRL, and also knew where his wife works. Her employer isn't going to cooperate in any fishing expedition through their admissions and discharges. Another part of HIPAA, the security rules, ensures that those records are hard to hack into.

What we're left with, then, is what the First Amendment protects: airing a story about a man who "felll through the cracks" in "the safety net," and a dedicated group of caring professionals who turned that around.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
12 hours ago, stereologist said:

The OP appears to be in violation of HIPAA. Not sure it should be posted.

Its why his name isn't really Eugene ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
9 hours ago, eight bits said:

It is reasonable to raise a HIPAA concern (always), but I'm not seeing the apparent violation. I trust Eugene isn't the man's real first name (note to preacherman and Keel: it isn't now). Someone would have a hard time constructively identifying "Eugene," even if they knew preacherman IRL, and also knew where his wife works. Her employer isn't going to cooperate in any fishing expedition through their admissions and discharges. Another part of HIPAA, the security rules, ensures that those records are hard to hack into.

What we're left with, then, is what the First Amendment protects: airing a story about a man who "felll through the cracks" in "the safety net," and a dedicated group of caring professionals who turned that around.

Fear not brother, I'm well aware of the rules. My wife has had several patients who's families we have known in one way or another. She is very careful regarding what is said to whom. She usually doesn't even speak to me about patients. This one was specially though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eight bits

preacherman

Oh, I was confident. Everybody working in American healthcare has had HIPAA training for the last decade-plus. Everything about the story shouts responsible professionalism, and then going the extra mile beyond.

You and your family have done a good thing. Great post.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Smoke aLot

Kindness really does work it's maybe most important aspect and in hospitals, that's almost impossible to get ( if you do not have a lot of money screaming behind your back that is ). Good people always did what hospitals didn't even try to. And it makes you and your family stressed too it doesn't matter that you like to help, that's how things are.

14 hours ago, stereologist said:

The OP appears to be in violation of HIPAA. Not sure it should be posted.

I was kinda shocked to read about possible violations of 'some privacy thing' by telling story like this. That feels bad but i am not informed to say it's just how it felt. Is it only for protecting patients privacy, as it should be? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc

While I agree with the benefits of Positive thought and positive energy and all that....

It doesn't cure cancer!  Sorry...you cannot Cure cancer with a positive state of mind.  I have read too many stories of 'she beat cancer'...her/his cancer went into complete remission...and then that patient dies ...of cancer.

The actual reality of your story is that....he was probably misdiagnosed...happens All the Time...even by the bestest of the bestest...

None the less...if you feel like crap and someone brightens your day...it definitely brightens your whole life!

Great story and heart moving...but I will never in a million years believe that 'positive energy' healed his cancer.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
51 minutes ago, joc said:

While I agree with the benefits of Positive thought and positive energy and all that....

It doesn't cure cancer!  Sorry...you cannot Cure cancer with a positive state of mind.  I have read too many stories of 'she beat cancer'...her/his cancer went into complete remission...and then that patient dies ...of cancer.

The actual reality of your story is that....he was probably misdiagnosed...happens All the Time...even by the bestest of the bestest...

None the less...if you feel like crap and someone brightens your day...it definitely brightens your whole life!

Great story and heart moving...but I will never in a million years believe that 'positive energy' healed his cancer.

I was talking to my wife about this very subject just last night. We both pondered how strange it was that "Eugene" escaped hospice with his life. See in his case there is no way he was misdiagnosed. Hospice wasn't the beginning of his fight. It was the end of it. He still had no hair because of the chemo when he first got there.  They had been trying to fight the cancer for some time. When he was given over to my wife, its because they didn't believe it was worth fighting any more.

Which led my wife to ask me, why him? Like you she mentioned all the stories she had heard about people trying to fight cancer through clean living and eating and positive energy etc, only to end up dead. I personally knew of a couple people who permanently beat cancer without a single  conventional treatment. For the most part though, yea when people get cancer, at least some forms, they end up dead.

But you are wrong joc, it does happen. Its rare but it does. To me, its those cases that should be explored in depth to find out why them. What did they have that the others did not?  Instead they are dismissed. Placebo is the power of the mind to heal. And it is a statistical fact it works on many ailments. But there is no money in that, so it gets tossed to the side.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simplybill
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, preacherman76 said:

We are going to see him for his birthday this weekend. He has become family to us, and most importantly has become living proof that miracles can and do happen. Also how important it is to show people love and kindness.

Great story, preacherman76. It's amazing to see how kindness can transform a person's life.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc
10 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I was talking to my wife about this very subject just last night. We both pondered how strange it was that "Eugene" escaped hospice with his life. See in his case there is no way he was misdiagnosed. Hospice wasn't the beginning of his fight. It was the end of it. He still had no hair because of the chemo when he first got there.  They had been trying to fight the cancer for some time. When he was given over to my wife, its because they didn't believe it was worth fighting any more.

Which led my wife to ask me, why him? Like you she mentioned all the stories she had heard about people trying to fight cancer through clean living and eating and positive energy etc, only to end up dead. I personally knew of a couple people who permanently beat cancer without a single  conventional treatment. For the most part though, yea when people get cancer, at least some forms, they end up dead.

But you are wrong joc, it does happen. Its rare but it does. To me, its those cases that should be explored in depth to find out why them. What did they have that the others did not?  Instead they are dismissed. Placebo is the power of the mind to heal. And it is a statistical fact it works on many ailments. But there is no money in that, so it gets tossed to the side.   

What Placebos actually prove is that many of our so called 'ailments' are born of the mind.  

But to your point....I think the most probable answer is that...the chemo worked.   They didn't think it was working but apparently it did.  Another factor though is this...his mental state.  Most adults know exactly what they are facing...they worry themselves to death...literally...about it...and all of that stress of the reality of cancer takes its own toll on their already fragile health.  Your friend however didn't really have the mental capacity to grasp any of that...so he wasn't worried about it...thus...no stress.

I just don't believe in 'miracles'.  There is a rock solid reason why anything happens the way it does in this world.  No magic.  No Miracles...unexplainable things....perhaps...but there is a physical reason why things happen and the fact he was taking chemo is a huge factor.  Most likely...the chemo made the tumors sicker than Eugene...so...the tumors died first.  Big Win for Eugene!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
On 2/23/2018 at 9:28 AM, preacherman76 said:

  Hello everyone. I hope you all are well. I have a story I'd like to share with you, and I hope it moves you as much as it has me.

     As some of you know my wife works for a hospice hospital. A little over a year ago they brought in a patient named Eugene. He was diagnosed with advanced leukemia, and was expected to pass away with in 2 months. Eugene is a black gentleman who is in his late 50's. You can tell soon as you look at him that he had led a hard life. What you wouldn't notice about Eugene at first glance is that he has the mind of a 5 year old child.

     My wife had begun to learn about his life through social workers who would come to see him. Honestly I do not know how the man survived as long as he had. He was horribly abused and eventually abandoned by his family. He had spent a few years in prison, had been homeless for a number of years. He was eventually bounced around to different mental institutions, and even then was horribly abused by other patients and staff.  Its difficult to imagine all this happening to a normal man, let alone a man with the mentality of a 5 year old. Society had failed this man in unforgivable ways. I cant begin to imagine how a judge was able to look at this man, and sentence him to prison. I do not know what he had been found guilty of. I just know that he should have never been held as responsible as you or I would have been.

     Well my wife fell in love with him right away. Having a 5 year old child ourselves at the time, she could instantly relate to him, and completely understood how to speak to him, and how to get along with him. The first sign that things were not going to go the way the doctors said it would was when he began to roll out of his room in a wheelchair, and come visit my wife at her desk. He spent a lot of time with her, and a few other members of the staff. For what I believe to be the first time in his life, he had been routinely treated with kindness and respect.

     My wife would even bring my children in from time to time to see him. My oldest son loved to give him presents because of how over joyed he'd become when he'd receive them. Just little things. Coloring books, things like that. He especially liked when my son gave him one of those spin toys they came out with not to long ago. He was literally like a 5 year old on Christmas morning, every single time. In fact he was over joyed to just have my son come and visit, even without the gifts.

     So two months goes by, and he is not only not dead, but seems to be improving. When they first brought him in he looked like a man who had two months to live. Four months later it seemed his health had taken some positive turns.

     He survived in hospices care for a full year before they had brought him back to the hospital to check on how far along the cancer had advanced. Now normally they would have revaluated his condition much sooner, but the staff was concerned they would remove him from hospice, and didn't know what would become of him if so. Strangely enough they were hoping he would die in their care, just to avoid whatever the next chapter in his life might look like.

     Well come to find out, Eugene had beaten cancer with no treatment what so ever. When a person goes to hospice, they are going there to die. It means doctors have given up any inkling of an idea that they could survive. You are only treated for pain. Through simple kindness his condition had reversed. Now as great as this news was, it also brought Eugene a great deal of stress once they told him he'd no longer be able to stay.

     He left hospices care a little over a month ago. Walked out of the place on his two feet. Something he was unable to do when he first got there. They found a great old age home that also deals with people of his mentality. Even though this place is over an hour away, my wife goes to see him when ever she can. Just this morning she spoke with him on the phone. I could see the tears in her eyes as she ended their conversation. Knowing how special he and his situation is.

      We are going to see him for his birthday this weekend. He has become family to us, and most importantly has become living proof that miracles can and do happen. Also how important it is to show people love and kindness.

     Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Beautiful story, and it is not uncommon to graduate off Hospice.  A good friend of mine dignosied with terminal cancer did, cancer can go into remission, she eventually would be back on Hospice and pass from cancer, there are lots of stories of people who last for a long tome on Hospice or get off all together, I see this a lot as a Memory Care Specialist. ( Alzheimer’s and Dementia ). It sounds like Eugene was shuffled around a lot and got poor medical treatment, Hospice is such a wonderful resource, such caring folks, who will go the extra mile to help and sounds like your wife is one of them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I was talking to my wife about this very subject just last night. We both pondered how strange it was that "Eugene" escaped hospice with his life. See in his case there is no way he was misdiagnosed. Hospice wasn't the beginning of his fight. It was the end of it. He still had no hair because of the chemo when he first got there.  They had been trying to fight the cancer for some time. When he was given over to my wife, its because they didn't believe it was worth fighting any more.

Which led my wife to ask me, why him? Like you she mentioned all the stories she had heard about people trying to fight cancer through clean living and eating and positive energy etc, only to end up dead. I personally knew of a couple people who permanently beat cancer without a single  conventional treatment. For the most part though, yea when people get cancer, at least some forms, they end up dead.

But you are wrong joc, it does happen. Its rare but it does. To me, its those cases that should be explored in depth to find out why them. What did they have that the others did not?  Instead they are dismissed. Placebo is the power of the mind to heal. And it is a statistical fact it works on many ailments. But there is no money in that, so it gets tossed to the side.   

Cancer can go into remission and you said he had chemo, it is very likely the chemo got rid of it, I don’t see a miracle other than the “miracle of chemo” and good care. I do think having good care helps one recover better, and is a valuable aspect of wellness, and good for Eugene, but I don’t see a miracle in the sense you describe. 

Not everyone dies on Hospice, some  get transitioned off, for various reasons. One gets re-evaluated every 6 months and if you are not deemed terminal one doesn’t get reinstated. I know because I have worked as a a Hospice liaison and hospice caregiver. The following is the common discharge reasons. 

https://www.nhpco.org/discharge-hospice-services

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
50 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Cancer can go into remission and you said he had chemo, it is very likely the chemo got rid of it, I don’t see a miracle other than the “miracle of chemo” and good care. I do think having good care helps one recover better, and is a valuable aspect of wellness, and good for Eugene, but I don’t see a miracle in the sense you describe. 

Not everyone dies on Hospice, some  get transitioned off, for various reasons. One gets re-evaluated every 6 months and if you are not deemed terminal one doesn’t get reinstated. I know because I have worked as a a Hospice liaison and hospice caregiver. The following is the common discharge reasons. 

https://www.nhpco.org/discharge-hospice-services

If chemo was working he wouldn’t have been sent to hospice to die. 

Yes people do get discharged from time to time. My wife has seen 3 including Eugene in 14 years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
8 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

If chemo was working he wouldn’t have been sent to hospice to die. 

Yes people do get discharged from time to time. My wife has seen 3 including Eugene in 14 years. 

Perhaps some kind soul along the way cut Eugene a break, if one has cancer in Hospice lingo it is the golden ticket, especially for a guy who had a rash of bad luck, and was swept under the carpet a lot. Terminal is the key word, you don’t have to die to get on Hospice, you have to have a terminal illness. Cancer suffices. Of course, if he got better that is a good thing. 

It is a beautiful story, regardless. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherapy
5 hours ago, joc said:

What Placebos actually prove is that many of our so called 'ailments' are born of the mind.  

But to your point....I think the most probable answer is that...the chemo worked.   They didn't think it was working but apparently it did.  Another factor though is this...his mental state.  Most adults know exactly what they are facing...they worry themselves to death...literally...about it...and all of that stress of the reality of cancer takes its own toll on their already fragile health.  Your friend however didn't really have the mental capacity to grasp any of that...so he wasn't worried about it...thus...no stress.

I just don't believe in 'miracles'.  There is a rock solid reason why anything happens the way it does in this world.  No magic.  No Miracles...unexplainable things....perhaps...but there is a physical reason why things happen and the fact he was taking chemo is a huge factor.  Most likely...the chemo made the tumors sicker than Eugene...so...the tumors died first.  Big Win for Eugene!

My 2nd Hospice case my lady was given a few weeks tops to live, she lasted 8 months, good, kind, attentive, comfort care helped a lot. My lady was so stressed out, not due to impending death, but side effects of her disease and horrible family members trying to get her money before she died. Between my efforts and with the fantastic love and support of Hospice and Adult Protective Services and a wonderful lawyer,  my lady had an amazing stress free ending. I was able to get the anxiety out of the picture early in the journey. Compassion from the hearts and education of great folks is the “miracle” if anyone is asking me. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
On 2/26/2018 at 7:20 PM, eight bits said:

It is reasonable to raise a HIPAA concern (always), but I'm not seeing the apparent violation. I trust Eugene isn't the man's real first name (note to preacherman and Keel: it isn't now). Someone would have a hard time constructively identifying "Eugene," even if they knew preacherman IRL, and also knew where his wife works. Her employer isn't going to cooperate in any fishing expedition through their admissions and discharges. Another part of HIPAA, the security rules, ensures that those records are hard to hack into.

What we're left with, then, is what the First Amendment protects: airing a story about a man who "felll through the cracks" in "the safety net," and a dedicated group of caring professionals who turned that around.

There is a discussion of personal material which begins with " As some of you know my wife works for a hospice hospital. " Then it discusses personal issues involving medical history which are known to a wife. Where did the wife get the information she should not be sharing? " My wife had begun to learn about his life through social workers who would come to see him. "

Take  it as you will but I don't see anything suggesting Eugene has granted permission for his medical condition to be posted by others. In fact, the text suggests he can't.

Whatever, all I'm saying is that it sounds like potential trouble for those involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
On 2/27/2018 at 4:37 AM, preacherman76 said:

Its why his name isn't really Eugene ;)

Not so sure that clears you in the eyes of the law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stereologist
On 2/27/2018 at 5:11 AM, eight bits said:

preacherman

Oh, I was confident. Everybody working in American healthcare has had HIPAA training for the last decade-plus. Everything about the story shouts responsible professionalism, and then going the extra mile beyond.

You and your family have done a good thing. Great post.

 

HIPAA training does not prevent people from making mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brandy333
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, joc said:

I will never in a million years believe that 'positive energy' healed his cancer.

Positive energy is one of the greatest healers there is.   With respect to you, you've evidently never felt this energy in your body.   It feels like you have a wealth of power in you, and sometimes you tingle all over.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, stereologist said:

Not so sure that clears you in the eyes of the law.

Whatever man. I'll take the risk.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.