Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Not A Rockstar

Ghost Shows Done Better

116 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Not A Rockstar

Whether you think ghosts are real or not, if you watch any of the ghost investigation shows, there are things you love and things that drive you crazy about them. 

The one thing I like best about these shows (and I do not see a ton of them. I do not have a TV and generally watch on youtube if I do catch any) is the history and occasional access into places I sometimes knew nothing about before. Shows that cover the history, or allow for visuals of the rooms/location a lot are great. If they are going to claim phenomenon, such as it is haunted by so and so, I like hearing good coverage of so and so historically or at least through anecdotes.

One thing (among several things) I hate about these shows is when they supposedly make contact and the investigators scream and run away or are going after evps and will not stop talking. DID YOU HEAR THAT?? 

LOL, uh, no I didn't, actually.

How do you think some of these shine and fail in how they present the paranormal, and what would you come up with as a better idea? How does the paranormal field fail in adding to the general lore of what supposedly goes bump in the night in general in your view of it?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion

I am a strong believer that we don't know what is all out there, so counting the experiences I have had I am open minded. That said the shows really make me laugh sometimes.

The voices they capture I can't make out what is said even if you pay me. But they swear they heard something specific. I always wonder if pareidolia (pardon spelling) is only visual or if it couldn't be auditory as well..

Then you have the guy that keeps talking while the other guy keeps going shhhhhht/ quiet ....while we are suppose to hear noises. Yeah...no...I can't. I just start laughing. If both of the presenters heard it then they would be quiet... Trying to determine origin of noise...not making more noise ...

And then there is the shadow they see out of the corner of their eye....movement just outside the grasp of the video...always just outside our view...

So. I am not disputing the possibility of paranormal, but I do think some of the searchers are fooling people to get ratings up and make more money. For me it's a scheme.

Now if we could find someone who is in it for the adventure and love of it and not money/politics I think we will be better off. iMO

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
2 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

How do you think some of these shine and fail in how they present the paranormal, and what would you come up with as a better idea? How does the paranormal field fail in adding to the general lore of what supposedly goes bump in the night in general in your view of it?

I really hate it when shows focus on their personal feelings. Ghost Adventures being the classic example , rare is the episode that doesn't spend 15 minutes focusing on one of the guys "freaking out" over a feeling 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion
10 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I really hate it when shows focus on their personal feelings. Ghost Adventures being the classic example , rare is the episode that doesn't spend 15 minutes focusing on one of the guys "freaking out" over a feeling 

Feelings. I have read a study where people in the same situation started showing the same symptoms (once the one says it all experience it)...mass hysteria? 

I have seen it happen. Its scary that we as humans are so impressionable, and funny (on the TV show..)

I do agree with you!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
22 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

The voices they capture I can't make out what is said even if you pay me. But they swear they heard something specific. I always wonder if pareidolia (pardon spelling) is only visual or if it couldn't be auditory as well..

I always try and close my eyes before they put up the captions when they are replaying the audio they've captured to see if my brain picks out the alleged words without the captions telling it what to think. Seems to be about 50/50 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

That is one of my disappointments I think, more accurately. A show named "Ghost Adventures" sounds like a chance for a lot of adventuring and exploring and a few Odd Things. 

Odd Things are so easy to find in these large, old places. Sit still and you can pick up footsteps, a faint voice, a door slamming. "Recordings" or audial hauntings seem pretty common to me. I honestly think they are something imprinted somehow if they happened over long enough and can sort of activate for a while until the energy of the sound built fully dissipates. .... I know that sounds stupid, but when you can hear it, plainly, and see the doors do not move, Something is happening and that is my guess about it. I do not supposed some ghost is standing there slamming the door somehow.

My Lady can be gone to work, and I am busy typing in my office and in broad day will hear her voice murmur to the dogs out in the kitchen. It is not a haunting, but what it is I am not sure and as it happens in public places with other witnesses it is not me being a loon :). Anyone else have this happen? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion
2 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

That is one of my disappointments I think, more accurately. A show named "Ghost Adventures" sounds like a chance for a lot of adventuring and exploring and a few Odd Things. 

Odd Things are so easy to find in these large, old places. Sit still and you can pick up footsteps, a faint voice, a door slamming. "Recordings" or audial hauntings seem pretty common to me. I honestly think they are something imprinted somehow if they happened over long enough and can sort of activate for a while until the energy of the sound built fully dissipates. .... I know that sounds stupid, but when you can hear it, plainly, and see the doors do not move, Something is happening and that is my guess about it. I do not supposed some ghost is standing there slamming the door somehow.

My Lady can be gone to work, and I am busy typing in my office and in broad day will hear her voice murmur to the dogs out in the kitchen. It is not a haunting, but what it is I am not sure and as it happens in public places with other witnesses it is not me being a loon :). Anyone else have this happen? 

I have my own theory ( no proof, just my madness) I think it is echo's of our energy . things we do everyday...our energy resonates. Heck I have even played with the idea of alternate universe overlapping with ours , that creates what we perceive as paranormal.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
2 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

I have my own theory ( no proof, just my madness) I think it is echo's of our energy . things we do everyday...our energy resonates. Heck I have even played with the idea of alternate universe overlapping with ours , that creates what we perceive as paranormal.

 

oh oh oh I just fell into like with your thinking Deb :)  This is so like the idea half formed in my understanding of what this audial "haunting" is! I know it is real and not ghostly but it is paranormal in that it is not explainable atm. But, I do believe it can be.  An echo fits it because in my investigations over time, it fades, weakens like an echo would. 

Brilliant, this way you put it :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
16 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I always try and close my eyes before they put up the captions when they are replaying the audio they've captured to see if my brain picks out the alleged words without the captions telling it what to think. Seems to be about 50/50 

 

 

yeah you hear a track that is similar to a Charlie Brown show adult talking and it gets translated to "we will kill you and chop you up into pieces". I mean why do that when you also got a faint but fairly clear voice saying something like "we played" or similar and fairly clear enough you can say ok, maybe that's what it says.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
6 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

oh oh oh I just fell into like with your thinking Deb :)  This is so like the idea half formed in my understanding of what this audial "haunting" is! I know it is real and not ghostly but it is paranormal in that it is not explainable atm. But, I do believe it can be.  An echo fits it because in my investigations over time, it fades, weakens like an echo would. 

Brilliant, this way you put it :)

I definitely buy the theory of what are commonly referred to as "residual hauntings" where energy from the past is causing an echo in time so to speak. Ive been fortunate to have been involved in a couple of hauntings one of which I believe was definitely the residual kind. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I definitely buy the theory of what are commonly referred to as "residual hauntings" where energy from the past is causing an echo in time so to speak. Ive been fortunate to have been involved in a couple of hauntings one of which I believe was definitely the residual kind. 

This is what I think make up most hauntings (I separate out the active stuff as something else tbh). The sense of sadness at a scene of past loss or violence, sounds, I am sensitive when I let myself do that and can sometimes see imagery. I do not think of this as an active event so much as a sort of overlay from the past in the cases where I see something. When it is sounds or feelings I see that as echoes, energy echoes. I love that word for it. Thanks Deb :D

How to measure or record it idk. Most you couldn't I guess, but I think if we could do it for some of this or understand it we might very well get a scientific answer for some of it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion

One has to ponder why some energy resonates longer

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
3 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

One has to ponder why some energy resonates longer

I was thinking about that. It might be that the environment matters. An old wood building may harbor certain energies/sounds better than say a solid stone one? Or different ones retain better? Versus open land. I mean you do not walk out on a field and hear old footsteps on stone.

I also thought about the Tate murder and how that PERSON who owned the house next door years later claimed that the phenomenon "moved" to his house and so he did a movie about it 0.o    I just do not buy that ambient or recorded hauntings move like that. Intelligent can, but these ambient "haunt" effects of sound by working definition are locale specific.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
10 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

One has to ponder why some energy resonates longer

I tend to believe that the energy from traumatic events is somehow stronger than "baseline". 

In the experience I had that I would consider to be one of these residual hauntings I saw a figure in white walk out of my kids bedroom and down the hall. Turns out the wife of the gentleman who we rented the house from fought a long battle with health issues and spent the last couple of years of her life sleeping in that bedroom so her medical equipment wouldn't keep her husband up. She eventually died in that room after having spent 20 something years in that house. 

That type of energy has to resonate, I just cant believe that it just dissipates. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

She eventually died in that room after having spent 20 something years in that house. 

That type of energy has to resonate, I just cant believe that it just dissipates. 

Part of it also may have been she was in the house for so very long, I mean 20 years, you would suppose this may imprint more so than someone living there for less time. It makes some sense for why one might see that there, you know?

When I have been asked to help with heavy energy like that, one of the fastest ways to dissipate it is to get a differing energy in there to disrupt it. I have seen some scenarios which really are not intelligent but get turned into exorcism grade cleansings when all they really needed was a spiritual rock concert :D

I remember seeing this show I cannot remember the name now, forgive me. They were a team of scene cleaners, who came in after gory murders or deaths and cleaned a place for owners. This one was an unattended death of a terminally person that stayed unattended for long enough the body had mostly liquefied. This is bad. But, what stayed with me was at the end they used these machines to generate ...was it ions of some kind? To kind of energize the air and get the atmosphere moving and lighter. I wondered if it would perceptively change the feel of the place or not.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

I really hate it when shows focus on their personal feelings. Ghost Adventures being the classic example , rare is the episode that doesn't spend 15 minutes focusing on one of the guys "freaking out" over a feeling 

Spot on...and Yvette Fielding was the worse for doing that.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam

Will be back to this later...got to go to work...but very interesting. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mysticwerewolf

My most hated part of all these shows is when you get a cliff hanger followed by a three or four minute commercial followed by nothing important happened I enjoy being scared outta my goard, sometimes and when I know it cannot or will not actually happen if the show is good enough not to need reality to try scaring , wait... what's that...... 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar

Yeah, or they get into something interesting and do not follow up. I remember one time I think it was Ghost Hunters? They were at this old hotel and actually had a ghost answer them and ask who was there to them. 

Think about it. A ghost answering in plain voice? Hearing you? Surely you would be all over that and talk??!! 

Nah, it goes on to more walking down halls and talking to each other.

Infuriated me. Either they are clueless about the WHY of paranormal research, or it was actually a real person and accidental and they left it in for ratings and let us assume nobody was there really. Totally disgusting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion
2 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I was thinking about that. It might be that the environment matters. An old wood building may harbor certain energies/sounds better than say a solid stone one? Or different ones retain better? Versus open land. I mean you do not walk out on a field and hear old footsteps on stone.

I also thought about the Tate murder and how that PERSON who owned the house next door years later claimed that the phenomenon "moved" to his house and so he did a movie about it 0.o    I just do not buy that ambient or recorded hauntings move like that. Intelligent can, but these ambient "haunt" effects of sound by working definition are locale specific.

Then of course If we have to be analytical one has to ask how an echo energy can attach to an object itself. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion
1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Part of it also may have been she was in the house for so very long, I mean 20 years, you would suppose this may imprint more so than someone living there for less time. It makes some sense for why one might see that there, you know?

When I have been asked to help with heavy energy like that, one of the fastest ways to dissipate it is to get a differing energy in there to disrupt it. I have seen some scenarios which really are not intelligent but get turned into exorcism grade cleansings when all they really needed was a spiritual rock concert :D

I remember seeing this show I cannot remember the name now, forgive me. They were a team of scene cleaners, who came in after gory murders or deaths and cleaned a place for owners. This one was an unattended death of a terminally person that stayed unattended for long enough the body had mostly liquefied. This is bad. But, what stayed with me was at the end they used these machines to generate ...was it ions of some kind? To kind of energize the air and get the atmosphere moving and lighter. I wondered if it would perceptively change the feel of the place or not.

People laugh at me. But when I walked into the hospital where my mom passed I saw her sister before me. In a blue top and skirt (old fashioned type) clear as day. And at that moment I knew my mom was dead... Even before I got to the doc to give me the news.(her sister at that point was dead for 5+ years)

I can't rationally explain that. 

Did I imagine my aunt? Why would I? I have asked myself that a thousand times...tried to explain what could have triggered that or make me see that. 

Either way. I always have to wonder if the 'power/ immense energy' you applied in your life wouldn't create the energy echo's power (how long it lingers) . I don't think it has to do with good and evil. IMO

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
1 minute ago, DebDandelion said:

Then of course If we have to be analytical one has to ask how an echo energy can attach to an object itself. 

 

I don't.... I do not see it to be attached to an object but ...space....the enclosed space somehow, as if on the air or the ether held inside it. 

I worked in this old old airport for some years on the night shift. It had a great deal of residuals, I mean after a while you have seen or heard it all and get used to it. It was a small airport, then. It was not all residual, however. But, when it was later bull dozed and modernized I always wondered if all that was gone. I think it was, all the residual. The rest, I don't know. At least one I saw in there did not belong to the airport so what was that about? :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
5 minutes ago, DebDandelion said:

Did I imagine my aunt? Why would I? I have asked myself that a thousand times...tried to explain what could have triggered that or make me see that. 

Either way. I always have to wonder if the 'power/ immense energy' you applied in your life wouldn't create the energy echo's power (how long it lingers) . I don't think it has to do with good and evil. IMO

While I don't necessarily believe it has anything to do with good or evil I do believe there is something to the kind of experience you had which goes beyond the residual energy hauntings we've been discussing. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion
1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I don't.... I do not see it to be attached to an object but ...space....the enclosed space somehow, as if on the air or the ether held inside it. 

I worked in this old old airport for some years on the night shift. It had a great deal of residuals, I mean after a while you have seen or heard it all and get used to it. It was a small airport, then. It was not all residual, however. But, when it was later bull dozed and modernized I always wondered if all that was gone. I think it was, all the residual. The rest, I don't know. At least one I saw in there did not belong to the airport so what was that about? :) 

There is an infinitely of possibilities, and the answers one gets are simply speculation, but I do enjoy listening/ reading about all the theories.

That's sort of what I asked. You find objects that seem to carry energy with them ( dolls, antiques etc) . so even with your airport being demolished doesn't mean the object the energy attached to is destroyed( could be a gun buried under /in the foundations...could be a coin)  so the lingering stays there...could explain why the energy seen didn't belong in the airport (as u put it)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DebDandelion
1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

While I don't necessarily believe it has anything to do with good or evil I do believe there is something to the kind of experience you had which goes beyond the residual energy hauntings we've been discussing. 

Elaborate? Plz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.