Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Shows Done Better

Not A Rockstar

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I appreciate this, but there are times when I feel it all falls on deaf ears. And I get tired of trying. I have no real reason to still be on this forum. I guess it's habit more than anything. For myself, there is no magick in life. None.

Maybe a break will be useful and less annoying. I went through a phase back when I was here before when I lived in the space forum :). Stars were something I could get into and love. Fire and Ice....raw space :). I still roam there and cold cases but not a lot of the old crowd and talkers around. MID and those guys could teach physics like I wished one teacher ever had been able when I was in school.

Just now, Not A Rockstar said:

Maybe a break will be useful and less annoying. I went through a phase back when I was here before when I lived in the space forum :). Stars were something I could get into and love. Fire and Ice....raw space :). I still roam there and cold cases but not a lot of the old crowd and talkers around. MID and those guys could teach physics like I wished one teacher ever had been able when I was in school.

Next time I leave. I'm not coming back. I've got no real reason. 

27 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Next time I leave. I'm not coming back. I've got no real reason. 

I care. Deal with it. That is all I am going to say here. /end talk

/start work

Ghost Hunting shows are entertainment, not a serious attempt at paranormal research.  If they record some activity, that's great! Otherwise, they have to manufacture it.

As a believer (through personal experience) I get frustrated by the lack of serious research, particularly in technical areas like physics/electronics.

• Like 3

I think you are right, Acute. Maybe we need two approaches, one for the sheer laughs and ghost lore for fun, and apart from it a serious effort to learn what we can about it. One thing that disturbs me, and not just in this area, is how many kids seem to no longer be able to separate fiction from non-fiction. They see a scary movie and the next thing you know they believe Chucky is out in the hall and come here to post about it. 

I am not sure if that auto-belief bothers me as much as where are their parents for a forum to seem the logical place to come for an answer. 

• Like 2

When" Most Haunted" filmed a show down the road from where I live 3 out of the 4 places they filmed I did'nt even know we're haunted and I lived about here all my life the one place that was haunted is well known and could with a bit of digging could of been read about oddly enough this was the spirit that was contacted, as a footnote people phoned in to the show saying they could see white shapes moving about behind the presenter who was starting on the foreshore in front of loads of swans swimming about ...... the program makers neglected to mention that oh yeah and Derrick Achorah managed to contact some poor lost souls in the same place and Matthew Hopkins the witchfinder general also spoke to him ..... dare I say it may of been a complete load of bollox

• Like 2

What do you think? I didn't even see it until the very end and had to rewatch it then once I knew what I was looking at. Weird, whatever it was. I would have been all over where it vanished at to try to see if it was something real or a hole or something an animal may have slithered off to versus staying back and away from it. I will say it seems to be rather inexplicable, Browsing youtube for anything fun to share as examples good and bad. What do you think it was?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

When" Most Haunted" filmed a show down the road from where I live 3 out of the 4 places they filmed I did'nt even know we're haunted and I lived about here all my life the one place that was haunted is well known and could with a bit of digging could of been read about oddly enough this was the spirit that was contacted, as a footnote people phoned in to the show saying they could see white shapes moving about behind the presenter who was starting on the foreshore in front of loads of swans swimming about ...... the program makers neglected to mention that oh yeah and Derrick Achorah managed to contact some poor lost souls in the same place and Matthew Hopkins the witchfinder general also spoke to him ..... dare I say it may of been a complete load of bollox

I feel for the people doing these shows, you want to entertain enough to keep viewers but also have your subject to cover - ghosts or paranormal in this type of show. I do not think it pays to exaggerate things that can readily be seen as normal and it is fun when something warrants an "I don't know for sure". Some stories would be better if locals got asked for their tales or what they know about a place too, sometimes, as you say. Some come off as really arrogant and superior and that is boring, and others are all terrorized and you have to wonder why they even do this as it's not cute, frankly. Then you have more normal acting fellows. I am watching a couple vids now by a OmarGosh and those seem believable in how he and his friend react to things, but he does not debunk things readily able to be done (door swinging open with no lock on it to the outside/breeze probable) but this may not be his purpose. Only seen a couple of his vids so far.

• Like 2

This is a classic recording of a traditional funeral in Ghana, where the roots of Voodoo drumming run deep. Perhaps you might like this @rashore ?  I am struggling to find dance music as such but as this is about the paranormal, maybe this is insightful. Cultures vary so widely in how they deal with death. Drums are a very very deep subject in African Traditional Religions.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

This is a classic recording of a traditional funeral in Ghana, where the roots of Voodoo drumming run deep. Perhaps you might like this @rashore ?  I am struggling to find dance music as such but as this is about the paranormal, maybe this is insightful. Cultures vary so widely in how they deal with death. Drums are a very very deep subject in African Traditional Religions.

Well that was interesting, yes, I liked it. It was kind of more driving stomping than the happy dancing in the Gede video. And I miss the tooty brass, that makes a lot of the joy in the Gede video I think. The above made me want to tap my foot and watch dancing, the Gede video made me want to get up and dance. Is there a lot of variation in the meaning between the traditional Ghana and the Gede video drumming? Or more of just a difference of adapting the instruments available into the practice and that's why there is brass in the Gede parade? This might be assumptive on my part- is this a guy thing? In the pic above it's guys and it sounded like guys voices in the drumming, and it seemed to be guys playing in the Gede parade too.

And it was kind of funny you mentioned taste in music and bagpipes earlier. I actually like a bunch of bagpipe music. But when it comes to funeral tunes, if I have to hear Amazing Grace on the pipes ever again it will be too soon. I rather dislike that song on the bagpipes, and there are a bunch of other lovely and wonderful tunes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

What do you think? I didn't even see it until the very end and had to rewatch it then once I knew what I was looking at. Weird, whatever it was. I would have been all over where it vanished at to try to see if it was something real or a hole or something an animal may have slithered off to versus staying back and away from it. I will say it seems to be rather inexplicable, Browsing youtube for anything fun to share as examples good and bad. What do you think it was?

If it's not faked. It's a "snail". Creepy little booger......

2 hours ago, rashore said:

Well that was interesting, yes, I liked it. It was kind of more driving stomping than the happy dancing in the Gede video. And I miss the tooty brass, that makes a lot of the joy in the Gede video I think. The above made me want to tap my foot and watch dancing, the Gede video made me want to get up and dance. Is there a lot of variation in the meaning between the traditional Ghana and the Gede video drumming? Or more of just a difference of adapting the instruments available into the practice and that's why there is brass in the Gede parade? This might be assumptive on my part- is this a guy thing? In the pic above it's guys and it sounded like guys voices in the drumming, and it seemed to be guys playing in the Gede parade too.

And it was kind of funny you mentioned taste in music and bagpipes earlier. I actually like a bunch of bagpipe music. But when it comes to funeral tunes, if I have to hear Amazing Grace on the pipes ever again it will be too soon. I rather dislike that song on the bagpipes, and there are a bunch of other lovely and wonderful tunes.

Hahaha, I love the pipes too, Dad was Scottish and played them :). 

You are very astute. New Orleans Voodoo and traditional Haitian Vodou and Cuban Vodou and the forms in Africa differ greatly, because they have evolved the further they went and changed in what they merged with or took in. It began as ancestor reverence in Africa. The slaves brought across the ocean to strange new worlds were trying to preserve those and keep them close. In Haiti they met up with the Taino Indians (extinct now or fully assimilated) and allied up and took on the Taino spirits and religious ideas as well. In Africa that is what you did when defeating other tribes or merging, you picked up their spirits and treated those with respect and cared for them along with your own. Later it took on Catholicism when they were forcibly baptized and allowed only Catholic worship. Another fuse because you do not leave your roots behind. 

Those forms which have expanded beyond simply ancestor respect and reverence also revere one supreme God form. The others are divinities, but there is one God. So, it was primed to flow with and work just fine with Catholicism. 

NOLA voodoo has a somewhat different history, the Cuban form has more of an Orisha flavor to it which is really nice, but comes from a different majority slave population I have been told in the formative period, so was flavored with more of one region of Africa's tribal traditions than the ones in Haiti. Outwardly they look the same to outsiders, just a few details different which you might not notice. 

I say all this to reply, yes the Ghana funeral rites are different, that form is ancestral reverence, how they dealt with the dead. Their own, known familial dead.

The Ghede are the unknown dead. Not your Uncle Joe :). Prisoners who drowned in sunken slave ships, murdered or lost away from kin to ever be honored or buried and mourned. There is some doubt whether the spirit class originated in Ghedevi, a village in Africa or was acquired from the Taino. I think it was a bit of both and all of the above as the slaves dealt with the deaths and the lack of ancestral funerals and their need to honor the dead before them. Certainly the flair, and audacity of the Ghede clan are unique among the classes.

So, yes, the drums, which call and speak to the spirits are different. Driving? Stomping? Maybe pushing to the Other Side with power and love and away from roaming the earth alone :). You got it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I feel for the people doing these shows, you want to entertain enough to keep viewers but also have your subject to cover - ghosts or paranormal in this type of show. I do not think it pays to exaggerate things that can readily be seen as normal and it is fun when something warrants an "I don't know for sure". Some stories would be better if locals got asked for their tales or what they know about a place too, sometimes, as you say. Some come off as really arrogant and superior and that is boring, and others are all terrorized and you have to wonder why they even do this as it's not cute, frankly. Then you have more normal acting fellows. I am watching a couple vids now by a OmarGosh and those seem believable in how he and his friend react to things, but he does not debunk things readily able to be done (door swinging open with no lock on it to the outside/breeze probable) but this may not be his purpose. Only seen a couple of his vids so far.

One thing about these ghost investigation programmes that really annoys me is the music. In virtually all of these shows they're in deserted buildings where there wouldn't be any noises but they have to have spooky music in the background. The other irritation is when they allegedly hear something and go running off in the direction they think it comes from. Running! Surely stealth is the way to go, not rampaging about like a bull in a china shop.Yes, these shows are entertainment but I don't know why someone cannot incorporate some serious research as well.

Constantly saying "hello, is there anyone there?" and "can you hear me" is pathetic. Do they really think that someone is going to answer them in a clear voice or appear in front of them? If that did happen they would have to go and change their underpants!

The only credence I give to any of these shows is if something, either aural or visual, is caught in a sealed off area with no people in the vicinity. I watched an episode of Haunted Collector recently and they had a locked off camera which caught what looked like an apparition. I have to admit it was impressive and did not look faked.

Surely it wouldn't be that difficult when they go to somewhere which is meant to be haunted, they're usually buildings not currently in use, to leave devices which could record phenomena over a longer period of time. They could still do their searching and entertain the viewers but they might also produce some credible evidence.

• Like 1

You might want to watch on Youtube Extranormal,. It's a spanish language  paranormal show from Mexico. They caught some weird stuff. They caught some apparitions, voices, screams, etc. In one episode they did an investigation of a school. The camera caught this dummy figure pressed against the glass, and then it slide down on its own.At a historic hacienda or mansion, there was a skeleton  under a class case buried under the floor. Anyhow, you could see a leg bone, like maybe a femur actually moving. No one was down there and it was sealed under a glass case.They changed the current format,and I liked the old format with Alberto Arco as host. But it's still interesting.They also did cemeteries too.

Yeah, I don't care for the music either.It's a distraction.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fran123 said:

<snipped part>

The only credence I give to any of these shows is if something, either aural or visual, is caught in a sealed off area with no people in the vicinity. I watched an episode of Haunted Collector recently and they had a locked off camera which caught what looked like an apparition. I have to admit it was impressive and did not look faked.

Surely it wouldn't be that difficult when they go to somewhere which is meant to be haunted, they're usually buildings not currently in use, to leave devices which could record phenomena over a longer period of time. They could still do their searching and entertain the viewers but they might also produce some credible evidence.

I agree with you. It is very annoying to me if you tell me ok we are now checking this out and head down some dark hall and then keep blabbing about the sounds, as music drones on. I want to look, too. I want to hear. I did  not tune in because I like you especially. 

In that clip I posted a few posts above about the creeper, you need good clarity to see it at all, but it is like slime sliding away to the left, a shade lighter than the rest of it. But, the point to me is the camera man said he heard footsteps behind him then caught that in front of him. Your idea of having sensors or cameras elsewhere during an investigation makes sense because quite often it seems that two things can happen in different directions, or "it" seems to move to hide away from the people. Assuming it is not faked, it only makes sense to make the most of your time with cameras everywhere possible. Some of this stuff is quick.

It should be able to be balanced, but, I do not see that. Early Ghost hunters tried and approached it, just I got the feeling after a while it was sort of uninspired as the series droned on. I don't know. Just my thoughts on it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I agree with you. It is very annoying to me if you tell me ok we are now checking this out and head down some dark hall and then keep blabbing about the sounds, as music drones on. I want to look, too. I want to hear. I did  not tune in because I like you especially. 

In that clip I posted a few posts above about the creeper, you need good clarity to see it at all, but it is like slime sliding away to the left, a shade lighter than the rest of it. But, the point to me is the camera man said he heard footsteps behind him then caught that in front of him. Your idea of having sensors or cameras elsewhere during an investigation makes sense because quite often it seems that two things can happen in different directions, or "it" seems to move to hide away from the people. Assuming it is not faked, it only makes sense to make the most of your time with cameras everywhere possible. Some of this stuff is quick.

It should be able to be balanced, but, I do not see that. Early Ghost hunters tried and approached it, just I got the feeling after a while it was sort of uninspired as the series droned on. I don't know. Just my thoughts on it.

I think many of these shows are faked. Something happens, they hear a noise or see something, but they never seem to have a recording device where the sound is coming from or a camera pointing in the direction of what they see. A chair is moved or a door opens but you only see it after the event, you never see it actually moving. Your first impression is a crew member had done it simply for effect and to keep the interest of the viewers. The other thing is do ghosts actually want to be caught on camera? If I was a ghost and a bunch of people were rampaging about where I "lived" I certainly would keep my distance from them. No point scaring them as they would never go away.

I worked in a building for 40 years which was haunted and in that time I only had one sighting, a full-bodied apparition, and a few other experiences which I couldn't explain. They all happened over a 2-3 year period in the late 80's and I started work there in 1970. Some were pretty frightening, others just odd. I don't see how you can spend 24 hours in a building and expect to experience something.

• Like 2