Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spooky footsteeps on aparment roof

aparanormalgal

Hi Guys,

Im a heavy believer in ghost and all the unexplained phenomena in the world, however i still cant draw my own conclusions on this.

So we recently moved in to an apartment, close to town but just far away so its nice and quiet. We live on the top flat of a two or three story place, just tall enough to restrict climbing up which sucks when you lock yourself out.

The apartments a bit old and shaggy but it does the job. 

However, one night i was woken up to loud footsteps on the roof. Now our roof is easy to get access from our deck only and yet my boyfriend can get up but me being a weak excuse for a lady i cant get myself up. 

I thought nothing of it and just went back to sleep but again the following night i heard these loud footsteps again. What really freaked me out was it was the EXACT same number of steps and sounded like it was running across the top of our room to futher down our apartment.

i used to live out in a bushy area so trust me i know what possums and cats even a dog sounds like walking on a roof and these ones im hearing sound sinister. I hadn’t heard them in a while till once i woke up to them and my boyfriend was awake too. He said that he hears them all the time and just thought he was going crazy. When we were comparing stories it was exactly the same. Loud footsteps along the roof of our room, exact number of steps with a sinister and airy feeling.

could someone help me in decifering what this could be? It’s physically impossible for someone to climb up from the ground and i have looked around the web to see if there had been any deaths in the building or area but im at a dead end. Boyfriend has gone up to roof to see if anyones living there but nothing. 

Please help,

scared girl 

Think of your own mindset, for a moment, and shut that fear off. You say they are sinister. Honestly, footsteps aren't that. Just how we feel about them. I lived in one house where this went on for a bit and it was very clear, very obviously footsteps and it DID move across the roof. You could tell the location changed and ended right over our heads. 

Or could you? It was an older house, of wood and cement block. As wood seasons it develops remarkable acoustics. (trust me I live in a solid wood farmhouse now which is over 130 years old. I can hear everything in here, but not always be sure which direction it came from). Anyway in that other house I happened to be outside cutting trees back and noted one sapling that had escaped earlier efforts as it was wedged in the side space by a privacy fence not quite enough for a walkway. I saw it had done some damage even to the roofline and I was mad and cut it down and repaired that. This was opposite side from where our rooms were to hear the angry footsteps stomping across overhead. 

But, those steps came no more. Zip, nada, never. 

I have to say that no matter what we heard it was caused by that sapling rubbing on the roofline. I never would have guessed it would or even could make a sound like that. I would bet a Coke yours is also as strangely caused and you are quite fine there.

Others will be along soon I am sure with their ideas. Be well and welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aparanormalgal said:

Please help,

Can your boyfriend run to the deck immediately and check the roof the next time it happens?

Can you install a security camera?

Footsteps are a commonly reported in haunting cases as you probably know.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, aparanormalgal said:

could someone help me in decifering what this could be? It’s physically impossible for someone to climb up from the ground and i have looked around the web to see if there had been any deaths in the building or area but im at a dead end. Boyfriend has gone up to roof to see if anyones living there but nothing. 

Have you had your boyfriend run what is approximately the same route you think you hear  the footsteps going while you stayed inside to listen? This could be an easy way to figure out if its actually footsteps or not. 

• Like 1

Use your phone's voice recorder app or other recorder and record some audio for us. A pic of the apt complex from outside might be helpful as well.

Other questions that come to mind: Is this a nightly thing? Are there any tree limbs near the roof? You mention you live on the top flat of a 2 or 3 story place...which is it? What kind of roof is it, metal, shingles, wooden shingles..etc or is the roof flat? Is there a central air system on the roof? Your heating vents, are they on the ceiling? Do any of the other apartments have windows that allow entry onto the roof? 

• Like 1

Hey guys! 

Thanks for all your comments, good to know ive got some understanding people. Ive told some friends and they think im crazy!! 

Update: i heard it again last night at about 12:50am but this time sounded like it didnt run far at all, almost like it was taunting me? Usually i hear it echo to the other end but this time i heard it just go from one side of our room to the other. My boyfriend heard nothing. What else that is weird is a woke up a minute before i heard it and have everytime. I didnt really think about this cause i always wake up atleast once or twice a night but recently have only woken up before i hear the footsteps.

My boyfriend went on the roof yesterday just on bare feet and it sounded similar but not right. However, i chucked up his heavy work boots and it sounded creepily similar. 

We are on the third story with an abandoned building next to us because in New Zealand we tend to have lots of earthquake and buildings get shut down. As stated there is no fire exit (i know so bad) and the only way to jump down would be from our deck right to the concrete path, but could not get up. So ive ruled out someone or something getting up.

We live on the fringe in the central city so cars go along one side and we face a suburb from our deck. We do have neighbours but am yet to ask them if they hear this too, might need to make a better relationship before i sound completely wako on them.

Concrete jungle our apartment is - as stated the abandoned building next to us and a driveway for cars to get to the apartment next to us about 70m away. Bf looked at the abandoned building to see if anyone could get on the roof but its just a triangle roof with windows on the side that are all bordered up. So ive ruled that out. Our roof is flat, not sure of the material but has a black like coating over it, kinda like plasticy? I dont know this building is very old built in the 50’s with only slight renovations. No air systems at all which is the worst but our landlord is a major tight **** cause that would have been my first thought aswell.

only the apartment below us has a deck and the other do not just windows that couldnt fit someone else. However there could be no way to climb onto our deck from theres let alone theres from the footpath. 

I’ll update later on with photos, ive just woken up at about 6am to go to work so ill try post photos when i get home and its lighter. Unsure of what to do by the means of installing a camera? Ill looking around to see what the cheapest one is but to be honest im scared of what i might see.

seems like the amount of times ive heard it compared to my bf there is a big difference and thats freaky. He’s heard them a handfull where as mine is becoming every second night or so. Do you think this is related? Bf isnt as involved in paranormal stuff as i am but could it be because im getting more and more scared that it could be targeting me? 

Just weird that i only heard it last night but it was the same amount of steps but just focused on our bedroom roof. 

Still very creeped out but so so nice to have people understand and believe on here. So grateful for the people who have commented so far.

we will solve this!!!!!!

aparanomalgal x

Edited by aparanormalgal

Do you have any large birds in your area ? 

e.g. could it have been an animal of some sort ? 

Unfortunately not, hardly any large birds to compare with the noise my bf made that sounded sinilar. Would have to be a fat ostrich or emu to make that kinda noise hahaha. No offence to my bf ofcourse!! Only birds ive seen around here are sparrows which are abput the size of my palm.

no animals as our building doesnt allow but there would be no access for one to climb up to our roof.

Edited by aparanormalgal
Forgot to answer whole question

@aparanormalgal

One thought is that it is a haunting, but to no more might require the on-sight presence of medium/psychic but the good ones are probably not easy to come by. If  it is not some normal cause, which you seem to be ruling out, I don't know how we can figure it out remotely. Footsteps are so commonly reported in haunting cases.

Fortunately, other than freak you out, no other harm has been done.

Yeah my exact thoughts too. Im just at the stage where im unsure why this is happening and seems to be happening to me most of the time? I assume now something must of happened in this apartment for us to hear such strong footsteps as all the other possibilities are practically impossible. 

Last night really did scare me just cause the footsteos werent on the ‘normal path’ from the start of our room down to the end of our apartment (its a 2bdrm place so quite long) so instead it was from one side of our room to the other. 

Maybe because ive taken more notice and talking to people in real life and on hear maybe it knows? 

Im thinking cause of the big drop outside between our apartment and the other maybe a death happened? But now i think im really just freaking myself out !! 

Lets just say burning sage tonight is definitely something i will be doing hahaha. Have always had contact with a psychic every year or so but might check in with her soon. My thought is maybe someones trying to contact me/ get my attention? Im just worried to contact it incase its evil. 

aparanornalgal

Hey guys thought i’d post an update or so just to keep track and try get some more advice. (Tried uploading photos but they were too big, ill try after work)

after yeserdays incident in the morning I decided to snoop more about our apartment. After looking at one article my laptop on 90% seemed to magical shut down to not be turned on. I charged it all day, NOTHING. Until i got home and it had been left chargin, showed my bf and he mentioned what if its related to the footsteps. Little do you know the ****er turned on. I know that sounds crazy but by god i shat my pants 

last night was the worst night of noises we’ve experienced. At 12:51am my boyfriend woke me up after he heard three loud bangs that seemed to come from our lounge. (We’ve heard them before but less frequently but now it all seems to tie in together). We got spooked and stayed up talking for a bit before falling back asleep (we work busy jobs, we were scared but we need sleep). Anyway i jolted awake at 2:21am, checked the time and then heard two bangs above our roof, shook my boyfriend awake violently (i was ****ting myself) and then commenced the footsteps, this time way heavier like we needed to really hear them. Now, i dont know if any of you have heard stuff like this but lets just say we didnt get back to sleep.

we’re asking our neighbours tonight if they’ve heard anything but other than that we’re gonna ask our landlord. Bought some sage and will light it up tonight.

any more advice please give, im at my last witts!!!

aparanormalgal

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I would like to let you know that after reading your post I was very much connected with your experiences.

I'm located in a inner city suburb of Melbourne Australia and for the past 6 months or so I have had the same experiences as you in respect to footsteps overhead.

Although I reside in a two storey townhouse that is approximately 15 to 17 years old my bedroom that is located on the second floor is constantly being bombarded Day and Night by creaking noises overhead that sound like the roof trusses are being stepped on.

Please know that this is not possible as the only entrance and exit is through a manhole in the bathroom and no one could do that without me knowing.

These footsteps are now growing louder and louder and exist both day and night as said before and now most disturbing they follow me to the bathroom and I feel like there is someone watching me.

Sleep has become a very difficult because I wake up and I feel that there's someone/something looking directly above my bed standing on the roof trusses/ roof joists and looking down at me through the plastered ceiling.

Reading this as I write it sounds ludicrous to me as I am quite a rational individual and cannot understand what is going on and like you I am incredibly stressed out by these occurrences.

I am Christian and have tried praying and even looking for prayers to cleanse houses online and even used holy water at the Points at which these noises seem to collect but it still continues.

If it wasn't for the footsteps following me to the bathroom every time I have to use it I would not be concerned as I would presume that whatever it was it was harmless.

Nonetheless an invasion of privacy as I'm sure you would all agree albeit from possibly another dimension is not to be tolerated. If anyone out there is privy to Paranormal Activity information of this nature and can assist at the earliest possible opportunity with any kind of advice it would be greatly appreciated.

One other foot is that I believe that this activity is becoming more more Boulder and louder therefore I believe that there is some kind of climax that is about to take place and frankly I as you would appreciate I would rather not be in a residence that had to deal with this kind of otherworldly invasion.

Cheers Paul.

Small animals can be a lot louder than they look, especially when they are in the roof rather than on it.

How exactly do footsteps sound "sinister" or "taunting"? Just from you using words like that I can tell your imagination is messing with you. It's something completely natural - or maybe just a serial killer stalking you.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

Thanks but l am not interested in chatting with you unless you are open to the possibility that l am dealing with something that is not of this world or the three dimensions we exist in. If you can disregard my genuine concern as my " imagination..." Clearly this is not the forum for your closed minded perspective on the world.

I can assure you that my imagination is in check, as said l am a logical individual.

Small creatures do not follow inhabitants to the toilet hence sinister!

1 hour ago, Bluedove said:

Thanks but l am not interested in chatting with you unless you are open to the possibility that l am dealing with something that is not of this world or the three dimensions we exist in.

I was talking to the OP, not you. Now that I see your story, it sure sounds like you're paranoid, and that paranoia has made you think the creaking the house makes as you walk to the bathroom is actually someone else. Or possibly, since it's a townhouse, the neighbor has gotten into the roof crawlspace and is walking around up there, possibly spying on you. It's common for townhouses to have a shared roof crawlspace with no need for them to go through your "manhole".

Either way, if you really want to know what it is, you should go up into that space and look around. Maybe set up a camera, like they say that's the #1 way to get phenomena to disappear. You can go on blaming ghosts, or you can do something about it and find out if your privacy is being violated.

Edited by moonman

Misunderstanding on my part as l received a message to my email saying that you replied to my post;

Nonetheless:

No crawl space already looked there is a solid brick firewall in place seperating all townhouses,

Furthermore space way too small for humans to move freely and certainly not at the speed the footsteps follow.

BTW 

Your definition of " normal " seems to be more in line with conformist thinking rather than open to other possibilities beyond the known World, guessing

you are also the type of individual that believes in the Moon landings of the 60's or that Musk is actually going to make it to Mars.

15 minutes ago, Bluedove said:

'you are also the type of individual that believes in the Moon landings"

Sorry, I didn't realize I was talking to one of...you. That explains a lot.

Maybe your flat earther friends can help.

Edited by moonman

Hahaha

Your comprehension of my intelligence is sadly lacking.

The world is definitely not flat it is elliptical or round ( as you would put it).

I have actually circumnavigated the planet so l am not a "flat earther",  but your comprehension of basic since is nothing short of pathetic.

In respect to space travel for example the complex trajectory involved in navigation to the Moon is not possible even today due to a multitude of reasons  least of which is the Van Allen radiation belt.

Don't bother responding as we clearly are not going to see eye to eye; enough said!

1 hour ago, Bluedove said:

Hahaha

Your comprehension of my intelligence is sadly lacking.

The world is definitely not flat it is elliptical or round ( as you would put it).

I have actually circumnavigated the planet so l am not a "flat earther",  but your comprehension of basic since is nothing short of pathetic.

In respect to space travel for example the complex trajectory involved in navigation to the Moon is not possible even today due to a multitude of reasons  least of which is the Van Allen radiation belt.

Don't bother responding as we clearly are not going to see eye to eye; enough said!

Your comprehension of your own intelligence (or lack thereof) is the real problem here. According to you no spacecraft has ever made it to the moon to even take pictures? Every space-faring country in the world is lying when they say they put up a moon orbiter (or any other explorer craft for that matter since they ALL involve complex navigational trajectories)? All moon pics are fake? I suppose the Mars rover is fake too? You can't even comprehend basic sarcasm FFS.

Don't let those ceiling goblins get ya! Enough said!

P.S. The two hours or so the astronauts spent traversing the Van Allen belt only exposed them to around .18 rads in their shielded craft. That's about the amount of radiation you get from having an Xray taken. If you're going to use lame anti-moon landing "facts" like what you have above at least get some that at least sound remotely plausible and aren't debunked to hell.

Please bother responding, I need some more light entertainment today.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1