Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
hetrodoxly

British media

95 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

hetrodoxly

British TV & Radio news reporters (interviewers) have one technique and that's to contradict everything the person being interviewed says they generally have little or no knowledge of the subject being discussed, here we have a real train wreck of an interview.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grey Area

It’s a bit of a game when it comes to politicians and interviews.

politicians are briefed never to confirm or deny and interviewers are briefed to get a confirmation or denial.

I often find myself getting really frustrated with radio 4 interviews where the interviewer will either really rudely interrupt the interviewee or simply keep repeating ‘answer the question’.

I find myself getting so totally fed up with the state of UK media, the BBC in particular.  I am not sure if I have suddenly become hyper aware of bias or it has spiralled in the last few years.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NightScreams

America media is no better that's for sure. I also see this exact thing in social media debates. However I'm wiling to bet the host is making more money than all of the men behind the camera. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Black Monk

Considering that almost all British media is against Brexit - not just the  usual suspects like the BBC and the Grauniad but also much right-wing media - and supports things like mass unchecked immigration then I can only say: "No. The British media does not reflect public opinion. It is, in fact, completely out of touch, inhabiting a liberal, London-centric bubble."

Edited by Black Monk
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
7 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Considering that almost all British media is against Brexit - not just the  usual suspects like the BBC and the Grauniad but also much right-wing media - and supports things like mass unchecked immigration then I can only say: "No. The British media does not reflect public opinion. It is, in fact, completely out of touch, inhabiting a liberal, London-centric bubble."

There are no media outlets which are politically neutral.

Some always have had a left or right bias. Many of their owners have a financial interested for Britain to remain in the EU. In the UK I say 80% have a liberal-socialist bias and the remaining 20% a right win one.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

There are no media outlets which are politically neutral.

Some always have had a left or right bias. Many of their owners have a financial interested for Britain to remain in the EU. In the UK I say 80% have a liberal-socialist bias and the remaining 20% a right win one.

There's no TV/Radio in the UK that doesn't have a left-wing bias, today i was listing to a history program on BBC radio 4 it wasn't a discussion it was pre recorded and based in the 1600s it started by stating how bad Brexit was? my radio went straight off, it does pain me as i used to love radio 4 and as others have said their comedy shows used to be great but now moved so far left it's not funny, all that said the worse of it is i'm forced to pay for something that doesn't represent me.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RabidMongoose
1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

There's no TV/Radio in the UK that doesn't have a left-wing bias, today i was listing to a history program on BBC radio 4 it wasn't a discussion it was pre recorded and based in the 1600s it started by stating how bad Brexit was? my radio went straight off, it does pain me as i used to love radio 4 and as others have said their comedy shows used to be great but now moved so far left it's not funny, all that said the worse of it is i'm forced to pay for something that doesn't represent me.

Something to put a smile on your face - with the dominance of a liberal-socialist political ideology in the media and television programs, with the wholly negative claims about the impact of us leaving the EU, with the voting age being lowered to allow naïve youngsters a say on the issue, with the vote being timed for when the UK was in the midst of harsh economic problems, with even Carney at the Bank of England fielding a distorted future for Britain if we left, what happened?

Thats right, the majority of us still voted to leave!

It puts a huge smile on my face when they couldn't even win the vote with all of that lmao.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LV-426

The BBC is the one that really annoys me.

Being forced to pay a licence fee to endure their biased political propaganda is akin to robbery. They should be pushed back to neutral reporting or face having their funding removed.

It's not like their TV content is even tolerable these days, with eternal reruns of Bargain Hunt and Pointless :rolleyes:

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

There's no TV/Radio in the UK that doesn't have a left-wing bias, today i was listing to a history program on BBC radio 4 it wasn't a discussion it was pre recorded and based in the 1600s it started by stating how bad Brexit was? my radio went straight off, it does pain me as i used to love radio 4 and as others have said their comedy shows used to be great but now moved so far left it's not funny, all that said the worse of it is i'm forced to pay for something that doesn't represent me.

So don't pay for the licence. If there's really no programme you'd want to watch, why pay the TV licence? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
10 minutes ago, Setton said:

So don't pay for the licence. If there's really no programme you'd want to watch, why pay the TV licence? 

i'm a law abiding citizen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LV-426
4 minutes ago, Setton said:

So don't pay for the licence. If there's really no programme you'd want to watch, why pay the TV licence? 

If you own a TV - or even if you don't in the case of the Internet - you have no choice:

Television licensing in the United Kingdom

"In the United Kingdom and the Crown dependencies, any household watching or recording live television transmissions as they are being broadcast (terrestrial, satellite, cable, or Internet) is required to hold a television licence. Businesses, hospitals, schools and a range of other organisations are also required to hold television licences to watch and record live TV broadcasts. A television licence is also required to receive on-demand programme services provided by the BBC, on the iPlayer catch-up service.

Income from the licence is primarily used to fund the television, radio and online services of the British Broadcasting Corporation. The total income from licence fees was £3.7872 billion in 2016–17 of which £630.4 million or 16.6% was provided by the Government through concessions for those over the age of 75. Thus, the licence fee made up the bulk (76.4%) of the BBC's total income of £4.954 billion in 2016–2017."

Whatever a person's politics, the BBC should provide neutral views, and solid unbiased reporting as they were once held in esteem for.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
8 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

i'm a law abiding citizen.

 

8 hours ago, LV-426 said:

If you own a TV - or even if you don't in the case of the Internet - you have no choice:

Television licensing in the United Kingdom

"In the United Kingdom and the Crown dependencies, any household watching or recording live television transmissions as they are being broadcast (terrestrial, satellite, cable, or Internet) is required to hold a television licence. Businesses, hospitals, schools and a range of other organisations are also required to hold television licences to watch and record live TV broadcasts. A television licence is also required to receive on-demand programme services provided by the BBC, on the iPlayer catch-up service.

Income from the licence is primarily used to fund the television, radio and online services of the British Broadcasting Corporation. The total income from licence fees was £3.7872 billion in 2016–17 of which £630.4 million or 16.6% was provided by the Government through concessions for those over the age of 75. Thus, the licence fee made up the bulk (76.4%) of the BBC's total income of £4.954 billion in 2016–2017."

Whatever a person's politics, the BBC should provide neutral views, and solid unbiased reporting as they were once held in esteem for.

But if, as claimed, every TV and radio show is too left wing for you to enjoy, why would you watch them? And if you don't watch anything, why would you own a TV? 

Methinks there may be a little exaggeration at play. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
2 hours ago, Setton said:

 

But if, as claimed, every TV and radio show is too left wing for you to enjoy, why would you watch them? And if you don't watch anything, why would you own a TV? 

Methinks there may be a little exaggeration at play. 

You're buiding a straw man, it's not what i said and for your information i don't live alone.

Your child like response shows your own bias.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
2 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

You're buiding a straw man, it's not what i said and for your information i don't live alone.

Your child like response shows your own bias.

Here is exactly what you said:

Quote

There's no TV/Radio in the UK that doesn't have a left-wing bias

In which case, don't watch it. Then you don't have to pay. If other people in your house want to watch it that's another matter. Claiming you are 'forced' to pay for it is disingenuous. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LV-426
5 hours ago, Setton said:

But if, as claimed, every TV and radio show is too left wing for you to enjoy, why would you watch them? And if you don't watch anything, why would you own a TV? 

Methinks there may be a little exaggeration at play. 

Oh c'mon Setton, you must surely see the logic here?

People own a TV to watch movies, sports, drama, documentaries, etc., etc.

Even if I 100% exclusively watch Sky Sports or the Syfi channel, and never touch any BBC content, I still have to pay the licence fee to fund the BBC. This model is outdated, and goes back decades to a time where there was no Internet, no cable and the BBC was the only channel broadcasting, until ITV in the mid 1950's.

Bear in mind, this isn't about physically owning a TV either. You still need a TV licence if you watch Freeview through a computer.

The bottom line is that, as publicly funded service, the BBC should not be allowed political bias. This holds true whether they lean left or right. They're there as an information service, which is historically what they were highly regarded for. Even during WWII the BBC strove to remain free of propaganda, whereas today it has become second nature to them.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
11 hours ago, Setton said:

Here is exactly what you said:

In which case, don't watch it. Then you don't have to pay. If other people in your house want to watch it that's another matter. Claiming you are 'forced' to pay for it is disingenuous. 

Just nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
7 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

Just nonsense.

Erudite and reasoned as ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
3 hours ago, Setton said:

Erudite and reasoned as ever. 

You think your post's are?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

Our biased media doesn't reflect public opinion, it decides public opinion.

How many times over the years has one of the Tory rags taken credit for swinging an election?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

You think your post's are?

Mostly. 

If you're not going to put forward any actual argument, then I think the conversation is over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LV-426
1 hour ago, Setton said:

Mostly. 

If you're not going to put forward any actual argument, then I think the conversation is over. 

*puts hand up*

I put forward an actual argument, to which you didn't respond... :P

I'll just leave this here, and I hope you take it in the spirit with which is intended... we don't always have to be right.

I like to think that at any age we can still grow and learn, and change our opinions if presented with new information and reasonable arguments. I'm sure this is something you can respect as a teacher.

With the different life experiences some of us have had, and the extra years, I'm sure there are things you can learn from us, and vice versa.

I totally understand the angst on UM. It's a bit like a battle for your "soul" sometimes with the clash between left and right, liberal and conservative, x and y... the key is keeping an open mind, not getting blown too far in either direction, and judging each argument on its own merits.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
3 hours ago, LV-426 said:

*puts hand up*

I put forward an actual argument, to which you didn't respond... :P

I'll just leave this here, and I hope you take it in the spirit with which is intended... we don't always have to be right.

I like to think that at any age we can still grow and learn, and change our opinions if presented with new information and reasonable arguments. I'm sure this is something you can respect as a teacher.

With the different life experiences some of us have had, and the extra years, I'm sure there are things you can learn from us, and vice versa.

I totally understand the angst on UM. It's a bit like a battle for your "soul" sometimes with the clash between left and right, liberal and conservative, x and y... the key is keeping an open mind, not getting blown too far in either direction, and judging each argument on its own merits.

I missed that one. I'll answer when I've got more time but thanks for actually engaging with the discussion. 

You get a star :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
11 hours ago, Setton said:

Mostly. 

If you're not going to put forward any actual argument, then I think the conversation is over. 

I gave my opinion on a subject, you made an ad hominem response, did you really think the reply would have been anything other than the contempt it deserved, the best you could come up with was 'don't pay your TV licence' again i gave you the reply your post deserved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bee
On 2/24/2018 at 10:44 PM, hetrodoxly said:

British TV & Radio news reporters (interviewers) have one technique and that's to contradict everything the person being interviewed says they generally have little or no knowledge of the subject being discussed, here we have a real train wreck of an interview.

 

 

that interviewer was so annoying and hopeless ---( I just watched 10 minutes)

the interrupting technique is supposed to put them on the back foot and so they slip into unguarded remarks, I think...

she was constantly telling him what he said and he had to keep saying ...no... that's not what I said... :rolleyes:

constantly twisting the words of the person being interviewed and constantly provoking them is such immature methodology -

 edit to snip video out because it can be viewed in the OP post and to say sorry for constantly using the word constantly :) 

 

Edited by bee
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bee
On 2/24/2018 at 10:57 PM, Grey Area said:

It’s a bit of a game when it comes to politicians and interviews.

politicians are briefed never to confirm or deny and interviewers are briefed to get a confirmation or denial.

I often find myself getting really frustrated with radio 4 interviews where the interviewer will either really rudely interrupt the interviewee or simply keep repeating ‘answer the question’.

I find myself getting so totally fed up with the state of UK media, the BBC in particular.  I am not sure if I have suddenly become hyper aware of bias or it has spiralled in the last few years.

I agree -

The BBC is more like the British Brainwashing Corporation now.... and being forced to pay for our own indoctrination or the indoctrination
of others (if we chose not to use those channels) is an Orwellian touch that would warm the hard heart of the coldest dictator-  


I have had occasion to be away from home for a couple of days and have seen some very early BBC One coverage for the first time
in a long time.... it all seemed so superficial and annoying...

The early morning presenters were two young (ish) men who were like clones and bland...an older blond woman who looked like she
was very tired and bored but was just about holding it together ---- and they occasionally broke out into jolly forced laughter about something 
to show what pals they were and add the 'human touch'.....

The roaming presenter was a Princess Diana look alike (IMO) albeit a big boned Princess Diana .... with a strong Northern accent..
she was actually the best of the lot, I thought and quite likable - you could neither like or dislike the two clones ...and I felt dislike
for the older blond woman because of the falseness.... 

The BBC are blatantly biased against Brexit and the Trump Presidency.... (because both are not part of the Globalist Agenda? )

There was a news item where Trump was commenting  the recent tragic US school shooting and the bored blond woman pulled a face
after the clip of him that said..... ''what an idiot, eh' 

I notice that the BBC / Radio 4 are wetting themselves with excitement over Jeremy Corbyn coming out in favour of Britain being
in ''''a''''' custom's union after Brexit ........ obviously because this is the first really significant opportunity to ambush and destroy our
leaving the EU and getting back control of our own affairs... 

I had to turn Radio 4 news off (after the first timeof hearing) when I was travelling because of the high annoyance factor... 

  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.