Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Humans could be on Mars within 20 years

Still Waters

Humans could be exploring Mars within the next 20 years thanks to commercial space flight entrepreneurs like Elon Musk, British astronaut Tim Peake has said. 

The successful launch of the Falcon Heavy rocket by Mr Musk’s SpaceX firm earlier this month marked a new era of space exploration which is "very, very exciting", according to Major Peake.

He said government space agencies had estimated humans would land on Mars in the late 2030s, but that commercial space flight "could bring that date forward".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/mars-tim-peake-elon-musk-landing-astronaut-falcon-heavy-spacex-launch-a8227376.html

• Like 3

It's still fantasy.
It's not only about putting human bodies on mars.

They'll probably not even make it out of the ship of they were to reach Mars.
Maybe Musk should invest in this..making sure humans survive a trip to AND on Mars.

1 hour ago, Render said:

It's still fantasy.

Maybe Musk should invest in this..making sure humans survive a trip to AND on Mars.

It's a fantasy unless Musk invests?

Do you know how ridiculous an argument that is?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kartikg said:

I heard the same thing 20 years back 

We could have been on Mars by now if the political will had been there, Decades of politicians making big claims whilst reducing budgets is the problem, not the technology or the science.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Render said:

It's still fantasy.

As futuristic and unlikely as it sounds, I get the impression Musk would be using spacesuits for Martian pioneers. 

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

As futuristic and unlikely as it sounds, I get the impression Musk would be using spacesuits for Martian pioneers. 

Sure.
So they'll be wearing spacesuits 24/7 until their bodies dissipate? Bodysuits that are now being tested for 10 years of radiation, and they are passing? Don't think so.
Or someone has a mental breakdown and kills everybody else.

As appealing as the thought is, and hell yes I would find it super interesting to watch people land on Mars and trying to live their lives - Big brother style.
But.... science just isn't there yet to assure this will go well.
This is very much a trial and error thing. And Musk is basically willing to send people into their deaths under the ruse that they'll be pioneers.
I think if he were to go to the point of shipping people off... some board would intervene. Should intervene. We don't need another space tragedy. We need to work on the science and first prove that we know that those people can do the trip + land safely + live there safely for at least 5 years or so. After that all bets are off.

There aren't even living quarters yet. There are companies that are building prototypes that would POSSIBLY be suited as a habitat..possibly.. yeah, is that what we're working with here? Possibly? No thx.

It's very nice to be all hurried to get people to Mars.. but this is just one of things you don't wanna go to fast and start tumbling over your own feet.
In retrospect though.. every space travel has been trial and error. I doubt anyone was sure a human wouldn't explode touching the moon surface. But I'd like to think our thinking has evolved beyond that.
I'm looking forward to the assurances science will have to offer the coming years so this isn't a kamikaze mission. Before 2030? Well.. amaze me, is all I can say.

If it is known how and possible to protect people on the Moon from Solar winds than they can also be protected from dangers of the trip to Mars. If that's true it could be made sooner ( with enough finances that is, money is one of few problems but possibly largest problem among those ).

On 2/26/2018 at 1:03 PM, Render said:

13 hours ago, Render said:

Sure.
So they'll be wearing spacesuits 24/7 until their bodies dissipate? Bodysuits that are now being tested for 10 years of radiation, and they are passing? Don't think so.
Or someone has a mental breakdown and kills everybody else.

What complete and utter drivel you are posting!!!

Astronauts have been in space, permanently, 24 hours a day, seven days a week since November 2000. Not one of them died the moment they left the ship. Not one of them spent their time 24/7 in a space suit. Not one of them has gone mad and killed anyone else.

There is this thing in orbit called the International Space Station (in fact there have been a series of space stations in orbit stretching back to Salyut 1 in 1971). The ISS is made of modules, docked together, to form a structure which protects the astronauts and keeps them alive.

Land such modules on Mars and you have a Mars Base. It's not exactly a difficult concept to grasp.

• Like 2