Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Explosion in Leicester

susieice

Just saw breaking news about this. Hoping no one else is trapped in the wreckage and the injured in hospital are on their way to recovery soon. No cause has been released yet.

https://news.sky.com/story/major-incident-after-explosion-in-leicester-11267993

• Like 7

At a store with a flat above and read had a loft conversion too. 

Could be a gas explosion.....or someones bomb making went horribly wrong. 

• Like 3

Hopefully it wasn't a bomb. Just read it was a convenience store. Not sure what kind of store it was but the report said it was open for business when the explosion occurred.

• Like 2

Polish grocery.  My guess is a gas explosion.  I hope they get survivors out.  Being trapped under the rubble of a collapsed building would literally be my worst nightmare :( 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, and then said:

Polish grocery.  My guess is a gas explosion.  I hope they get survivors out.  Being trapped under the rubble of a collapsed building would literally be my worst nightmare :( 

Seems could be gas.

Where have you read Polish, i read it was a former Londis and is now, sorry was  a Western Park Store .

• Like 3

I can't imagine being trapped like that. Hopefully, everyone is out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Seems could be gas.

Where have you read Polish, i read it was a former Londis and is now, sorry was  a Western Park Store .

I just flicked the BBC news channel on, and it was reported as a Polish convenience store.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

I just flicked the BBC news channel on, and it was reported as a Polish convenience store.

Got it..jeeze 6 people have been taken to hospital. Hopefully they survive and there are no others in there. How they got out of that is unbelievable...the building has gone! 

Will have to see what the reports say. Very posibly gas. No idea if it came from the shop of the flats above.

At the scene, Sky News Correspondent Tom Parmenter that damage to the main building, a Polish grocery store, had been "very very significant".

He said the store had been "effectively demolished by the force of the explosion".

The building was two-storeys high with a loft conversion and it had suffered a "pancake collapse", 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

Oh no....

Please let it at least be a gas explosion, not something even worse. A gas explosion is frightening enough in this day and age...  As far as I understand, the frightening thing about gas is that it could be something as simple and insidious as a defect nobody noticed.

I hope the people will recover...

• Like 3

2330 | HINCKLEY ROAD EXPLOSION |

Emergency services are dealing with a building fire in Leicester following a report of an explosion.

The report was made just after 7pm this evening (Sunday 25 February) and a number of neighbouring buildings in Hinckley Road were also damaged as a result.

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service and East Midlands Ambulance Service along with the police are dealing with the incident and Hinckley Road between the junction with Woodville Road and Westcotes Drive has been closed off.

Businesses and homes in the immediate vicinity have not been evacuated.

Six people have been taken to hospital and we await an update on their injuries.

The cause of the explosion will be the subject of a joint investigation by the police and Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service.

We would ask that the media and public do not speculate about the circumstances surrounding the incident but at this stage there is no indication this is terrorist related.

Electricity supply has been cut off for a number of properties in the Hinckley Road area while emergency services deal with the incident.

Anyone concerned about family members are asked to contact 101.UP

Just saw this post from police. Hopefully the people injured will fully recover and no more are inside the rubble. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Seems could be gas.

https://wtop.com/europe/2018/02/police-report-explosion-in-english-city-as-major-incident/

I must have misread the piece, I guess the structure was just in the same street - from the article:

The street is a mix of apartments and small shops, including a convenience store, a kebab restaurant, and a Polish grocery Police said a number of buildings near the burning one were damaged.

• Like 2

Here's the latest article I could find. It was a Western Park Store. It says there were evacuations. No word on the condition of the victims except that, of the 6 injured, 2 are in hospital in critical condition. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/hinckley-road-explosion-fire-what-1262749

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, freetoroam said:

At a store with a flat above and read had a loft conversion too. 

Could be a gas explosion.....or someones bomb making went horribly wrong. 

My American mind jumped straight to a meth lab. Do you guys have a problem with that over there? 

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

My American mind jumped straight to a meth lab. Do you guys have a problem with that over there? 

My British mind jumped to it being a gas leak possibly as a result of fiddling the meter. But these gas explosions do happen from time to time due to poorly maintained boilers or installed appliances.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 6

Sadly, the BBC is saying today that at least 5 people have been killed and 5 more are in the hospital, 1 in critical condition. Authorities are still going through the wreckage searching for more potential victims as there are people still reported as missing. My thoughts go out to the victims, their families and people in the area. Such a tragedy. I did read gas company officials were at the scene helping with the investigation into the cause of the explosion.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-43195160

• Like 1

On 2/26/2018 at 6:23 AM, Farmer77 said:

Gas explosion was my first thought but knowing the area bomb making was my second. It was a Polish shop owned by Aram Kurd, with a few people living above the shop. 

Very very sad and i still believe this was a gas explosion   due to what stevewinn has pointed out...badly maintained appliances - again.

We have specific healh and safety laws here and it is no secret that these are not adhered to in many of the shops owned by foreign owners. 

• Like 2