Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why did Iscariot betray Jesus?

Opus Magnus

I remember something along the lines of Judas being the bodyguard / Protector when it involves Rome or the Pharisee / Sadducee / Temple Elites, while Peter / Rocky / The Stone was the bodyguard of JC's daily affairs.

Can't seem to remember where I read it though ...

~

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I remember something along the lines of Judas being the bodyguard / Protector when it involves Rome or the Pharisee / Sadducee / Temple Elites, while Peter / Rocky / The Stone was the bodyguard of JC's daily affairs.

Can't seem to remember where I read it though ...

~

Well, Saul, or Paul, the two different translations of his name (not sure how an S translates to a P). Was the replacement apostle for Iscariot. He was a Pharisee who persecuted the Christians until Jesus appeared to him in a vision. He never met Jesus before he died, but met the other apostles, as described in Acts.

Simon or Peter, was supposedly Jesus' favorite apostle, and he said he would be the cornerstone of the Church.

Other than that idk. Simon was given the name Peter, which translates from Cephas and means stone. As Jesus was giving them new names.

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 1

3ye

John says that Judas held the money purse for the group, a distinction and position of trust among the disciples. I can't think of any other special responsibility attributed to him.

Opus

I'm not worried about discrepancies, one way or the other.

Matthias was appointed to the vacancy created by Judas' all too literal downfall (Acts 1:25). Paul joins later (chapter 9 is his conversion experience). Later still, another vacancy on the Twelve opens up (James ben Zebedee is killed, 12:2), but there's no indication that that opening was ever filled.

-

@third_eye

@Opus Magnus

• Like 2

On 3/2/2018 at 3:44 AM, Opus Magnus said:

Yeah, it was prophesized to be done,  but it still gets baffling as to the price because it doesn't completely make sense with prophesy vs free will.

But, as with silver maybe you don't understand how cheap that is. One ounce of gold is over one thousand dollars, but an ounce of silver is only about twenty. For cows to cost that much silver, either the country had very little precious metal or way too many cows. My guess is that the silver was lacking.

He still had freewill just like Jesus did. They both agreed to their parts while fully conscious in spirit world before incantation.

He could have refused and another would be chosen to do the deed.

1 hour ago, Omnaka said:

He still had freewill just like Jesus did. They both agreed to their parts while fully conscious in spirit world before incantation.

He could have refused and another would be chosen to do the deed.

Isnt Iscariot comparable in that sense, to the Satan role, a sort of microcosmos of thesame situation? Isnt Satan alotted his pre ordained role, one essential to the whole process, however ungrateful?

Without that role, in a spiritual sense, what is there to gain / learn without opposition, without hardship, without enticement. To hinder, to test. Leave a child pampered, without encountering hardships and/or opposition, and chances are pretty safe you will end up with a spoiled, self serving, arrogant brat.. every time.

Also, what of the nature of Satan.. if we subscribe to the generally accepted Christian narrative; he is 'a fallen angel', a rebel, one who 'disobays', right? Yet, according to Judaism, angels do not have free will, as I understand it. This leaves us with three distinct possibilities; either he is an angel commanded to act out this role (Judaism), he is a rebellious ('fallen') angel acting on his own free will (Christianity), or he is not an angel acting on his own, yet predetermined, accord (Islam). In any case, this Christian notion that Satan, in an act of outright defiance, ceased to function as God had intended him to - thereby positioning himself as an enemy of God - seems rather self defeating.. and contradictory to the omnipotence of God.

Maybe Judas had something like mutually assured destruction in mind with Jesus.

Edited by Mystic Crusader

On 3/19/2018 at 4:31 AM, Phaeton80 said:

Isnt Iscariot comparable in that sense, to the Satan role, a sort of microcosmos of thesame situation? Isnt Satan alotted his pre ordained role, one essential to the whole process, however ungrateful?

Without that role, in a spiritual sense, what is there to gain / learn without opposition, without hardship, without enticement. To hinder, to test. Leave a child pampered, without encountering hardships and/or opposition, and chances are pretty safe you will end up with a spoiled, self serving, arrogant brat.. every time.

Also, what of the nature of Satan.. if we subscribe to the generally accepted Christian narrative; he is 'a fallen angel', a rebel, one who 'disobays', right? Yet, according to Judaism, angels do not have free will, as I understand it. This leaves us with three distinct possibilities; either he is an angel commanded to act out this role (Judaism), he is a rebellious ('fallen') angel acting on his own free will (Christianity), or he is not an angel acting on his own, yet predetermined, accord (Islam). In any case, this Christian notion that Satan, in an act of outright defiance, ceased to function as God had intended him to - thereby positioning himself as an enemy of God - seems rather self defeating.. and contradictory to the omnipotence of God.

Yes , duality plays its part. And is, was, an invited guest on this world. Lucifer is a special son, but he is not Satan. Satan is more an opposite to light and goodness, as soon as one sees evil and chooses good, there's always someone to take his place. And be called Satan.

Does 300 dollars buy you a plot of land? The Pharusheem used the same 30 shekels to buy a plot of land for Human Burials. It was a lot of money. This text is from Shem Tob's Hebrew Matityahu:

3 When Judas Iscariot saw that he had been judged, he began to turn in
repentance. He returned the thirty dinars to the high priest and to the elders
of the people.
4 He said: I have sinned because I have shed innocent blood. But they
said to him: What is that to us? You see to it.
S He threw the coins in the temple, went and took a rope and hanged
himself.
6 When the chief priests received the coins they said: It is not possible
for us to place these coins in the temple because they are the fruit of
blood since they were given for the blood of Jesus.
7 So they took counsel and gave them for a field of a certain potter of clay
that they might (bury) strangers there.
8 Therefore that field is called the tent of blood unto this day.

• Like 1