Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would there be mass panic if we discover alie

Would there be mass panic if we discover alien life?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. If alien life were to be undeniably discovered, in any shape or form, would there be mass panic as a result?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if the alien life is shaped like us
    • Only if the alien life is shaped "monster"-like

Initially, there would be some panic among all classes of people, whether well educated or not simply because of a lack of clear understanding of the new creatures and their potential motives regarding US...  Once we understood them a bit better, I think most people would relax and wait for developments to play out.

• Like 2

There has been a bit in the news about it recently, also some discussion here: 

And it really depends on how it were discovered as to result in ‘mass panic’.

Eg. Microbial life on another planet? All good.

Alien invasion? Probably a little closer to mass panic.

• Like 2

Nope. 

There's zillions of films and stories and tales out there about aliens.  You'd get a lot of different reactions but "mass panic" - no, don't see it happening. 

• Like 4

I can't see anyone panicking over the discovery of microbes. Sure there will be people accusing the discoverers of lying but that's nothing unusual.

• Like 5

As suggested above... The discovery of Alien microbes wouldn't cause mass panic, but contact with an intelligent species of ET probably would.

The simple fact that they have arrived would prove them to be more technologically advanced than us, and our world would never be the same again, regardless of their motives.

Edited by acute
  • Like 3

It all depends on how we discover them.  It's like the difference between seeing a bear in the distance with binoculars or finding one in your tent.  

• Thanks 1

If one could pull a big lever and light up all the darkness in the universe, I bet it would be moving and slithering and undulating and twitching with various forms of inhuman life and the average person would look up and probably freak out by what they'd see because it would be creepy as ****. 

10 hours ago, and then said:

Once we understood them a bit better, I think most people would relax and wait for developments to play out.

reactions would depend on why they are here - there would be no relaxing if they wanted the planet

We've already been contacted by beings from other worlds. This happened in the first part of the last century and the message they left us was published in 1955.

Some are panicking about this alright. Yes. Because the message they left us is one of love, God's love for us and that the entire universe was created for this purpose which we've been invited to participate in. 

If you want to see how this panicking is being demonstrated, just check out any of the Skepticism vs Spirituality threads, right here in this forum.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Some are panicking about this alright. Yes.

'some'= the OP is asking: 'Would there be mass panic' if it were a fact. At the moment: <We've already been contacted by beings from other worlds> it's just a belief, not fact

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

'some'= the OP is asking: 'Would there be mass panic' if it were a fact. At the moment: <We've already been contacted by beings from other worlds> it's just a belief, not fact

The fact is, most are not panicking, but it does seem that some are. Why panic at all I say? 

What matters is that primarily, the Universe is made of spiritual love, not material things.

Still, things are not like it seems here on the good Earth.

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Still, things are not like it seems here on the good Earth.

if you say so

Microbial life would not cass mass panic, i don't think. Nevertheless, even confirmation of microbial life would cause some issues. I could see various religions having groups who were against it for various mythology-based reasons, for example. If intelligent aliens showed up one day? That'd be a bit trickier for the majority to deal with.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So are we talking about an alien ship in orbit?

I doubt it would cause mass panic, that's just an excuse the fringe uses as to why the nonexistent hidden aliens keep hiding/are kept hidden.

A lot of people would initially feel kind of uneasy, a lot of people would be excited (after all it's a very interesting thing to happen) and we can only hope that those in power would be sensible about it.
The worst I can see is that some less educated people (some who have been hoping and wishing for a threat to show up) would run for the hills and that the Vatican would start debate on how soon they can send missionaries to baptize the aliens.

On 3/1/2018 at 2:33 PM, Will Due said:

We've already been contacted by beings from other worlds. This happened in the first part of the last century and the message they left us was published in 1955.

Some are panicking about this alright. Yes. Because the message they left us is one of love, God's love for us and that the entire universe was created for this purpose which we've been invited to participate in. 

If you want to see how this panicking is being demonstrated, just check out any of the Skepticism vs Spirituality threads, right here in this forum.

This happened in the first part of the last century and the message they left us was published in 1955.

Do you have a link to this 1955 message?

Yes. Because the message they left us is one of love, God's love for us and that the entire universe was created for this purpose which we've been invited to participate in. 

Define "love" alien style...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alien Origins said:

Define "love" alien style...

et_1474485b.jpg

I think if ET paid us an 'in person' visit in advanced space craft there would be panic. But, if the knowledge of ET was only via radio telescope (like the 'Wow' event) then people would not be as inclined to panic. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:34 AM, Render said:

Just wondering if this popular opinion still holds.

I voted yes because there would undoubtedly be a faction of folks manipulating the masses for their own means. I think there has been enough of a slow drip of disclosure over the decades though that the vast majority would shrug and wonder what technology we can swipe from them. 

If alien life were to be undeniably discovered, 

If we discovered them..no,

if they discovered us...possibly.

It all depends on what is discovered and where.

• Like 3

Would there be mass panic if aliens where discovered ? 

Well, among the aliens perhaps :P:D 

• Like 2

I think microbes brought back for study could cause a minor panic because no one would be completely aware of what the impact on our planet would be. If left in space, no. However, a life form, like first contact, probably would initially. There has been a lot of fictional build-up to the possibility, but in reality, it will still be a shock.

• Like 1

I think yes, all because of movies, tv shows, media, and peoples ''so called'' experiences with them.

5 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

Do you have a link to this 1955 message?

Here's the link:

http://bigbluebook.org/