Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you believe in Pseudoskepticism?

Illyrius

Pseudoskepticism (or pseudoscepticism) is a philosophical or scientific position which appears to be that of skepticism or scientific skepticism but which in reality fails to be so.

An example;

Strauss had been a preacher but had renounced the cloth and set up shop as a critic of Christianity. He had labored with good intentions, no doubt, but the net result of all his smug agnosticism was that his disciples were as self-satisfied, bigoted, and prejudiced in the garb of agnostics as they had been before Christians. Nietzsche's eye saw this and in the first of his little pamphlets "David Strauss, der Bekenner und der Schriftsteller" ("David Strauss, the Confessor and the Writer"), he bore down on Strauss's bourgeoise pseudo-skepticism most savagely. This was 1873.[2]

Please share your thoughts :)

• Like 2

People are genetically wired to be spiritual or not. People loose their spirituality because of bad times. Why argue the two sides of a coin? 

• Like 5

Let me "elder" you a bit my friend...

That's what's happening in a spiritual debate.

One says "heads" another says "tails". neither can be proven. Both sides get upset with each other.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

Let me "elder" you a bit my friend...

That's what's happening in a spiritual debate.

One says "heads" another says "tails". neither can be proven. Both sides get upset with each other.

I like that last sentence. :)

The only thing that remains in that case is what will people find more convincing, since after all no one of us is completely objective.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Illyrius said:

I like that last sentence. :)

The only thing that remains in that case is what will people find more convincing, since after all no one of us is completely objective.

I always see you get yourself worked up and upset with these debates which go nowhere and from my standpoint as a Native healer, it's extremely unhealthy.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Piney said:

People are genetically wired to be spiritual or not. People loose their spirituality because of bad times. Why argue the two sides of a coin? 

Some lose spirituality because of bad times, some gain. I am the latter case. :)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Illyrius said:

Some lose spirituality because of bad times, some gain. I am the latter case. :)

And there is laid the great distinction. The foundation of Faith. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Illyrius said:

Knowing what you suffered your mind is strong. My boss calls it "Job's Test". But not everyone thinks that way. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2018 at 0:59 AM, psyche101 said:

Yes of course there is. Here's my real life example. 

I tried to join a certain atheist forum but became appalled at the people who were atheist just to annoy religious people. If you don't have a better answer one should just not say anything at all. 

They used terms like cretard for creationist posters and I found that disgusting and offensive. Like Satanists who worship Satan to annoy Christians. It's rather stupid and only for controversy, I can't respect that, at least many religious people have a very reasonable approach to faith. Derisive action for attention is as bad from any atheist as it is any blind believer. 

Evidence is what matters. Not the easiest thing, not the most appealing thing, not the most common thing and not the most controversial thing. Evidence. 

Besides being true...and well said...that was just brilliant!:tu:

• Like 2

On 3/1/2018 at 10:59 PM, psyche101 said:

Yes of course there is. Here's my real life example. 

I tried to join a certain atheist forum but became appalled at the people who were atheist just to annoy religious people. If you don't have a better answer one should just not say anything at all. 

They used terms like cretard for creationist posters and I found that disgusting and offensive. Like Satanists who worship Satan to annoy Christians. It's rather stupid and only for controversy, I can't respect that, at least many religious people have a very reasonable approach to faith. Derisive action for attention is as bad from any atheist as it is any blind believer. 

Evidence is what matters. Not the easiest thing, not the most appealing thing, not the most common thing and not the most controversial thing. Evidence. 

:tu::tu:

• Like 3