Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
keithisco

Scam Mobile Calls WARNING!!!

keithisco

Just wanted to share this:

I have just had 3 missed calls from Guinea (Africa) from the following number:

00 224 78 81 24 21

I did not recognise the number so ran an internet security check on it and it turns out to be a scam whereby YOU are charged  Rs.45/minute(~$1) from your talktime balance.

So, unless you actually know of people in Guinea then do not answer the call

RGDS

• Like 4

Hammerclaw

I get them  from a mail order bride service in Tbilisi.

• Like 3

Lilly

I feel slighted...I've never had a call from any mail order groom services. :(

• Like 3

SecretSanta

I’ve gotten to the point that I don’t answer unless I recognize the number. If it’s important they’ll leave a message.

Telemarketers have started using local numbers. I guess more people answer if the number appears local.

Not A Rockstar

are these scams even real? I have an elderly Mother who has a cell and is it even possible her pay per use throwaway phone could somehow be charged by a call she answers in error?

Luca-Rosemom 19
1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

are these scams even real? I have an elderly Mother who has a cell and is it even possible her pay per use throwaway phone could somehow be charged by a call she answers in error?

They are real.

Theres one going around Australia right now (Police verified its real) claiming to be Australian taxation office or welfare trying to scam people out of money.

Just like the "Microsoft" calling one was a scam, I know because I had them try calling me and had them call me a liar for saying I don't have a Microsoft system (well technically its dads old computer and all in his name so not a full lie).

• Like 1

Not A Rockstar
3 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

They are real.

Theres one going around Australia right now (Police verified its real) claiming to be Australian taxation office or welfare trying to scam people out of money.

Just like the "Microsoft" calling one was a scam, I know because I had them try calling me and had them call me a liar for saying I don't have a Microsoft system (well technically its dads old computer and all in his name so not a full lie).

Mom is up on that sort, I just worry about her somehow answering and being charged just for answering. I have read some do it by text backs or call backs and she won' do that if it isn't a known number to her. So far I am not finding one where just answering will charge her so I think Mom is alright. Thank you Ruby, as usual you rock :)

• Like 1