Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's last male northern white rhino 'ill'

Still Waters

The health of the world's last male northern white rhino has deteriorated, bringing the rhino subspecies a step closer to extinction caused by poaching.

The 45-year-old rhino named Sudan, listed as "The Most Eligible Bachelor in the World" on the Tinder dating app last year as a fundraiser, lives with the last two female northern white rhinos. Kenya's Ol Pejeta Conservancy said Thursday that Sudan was struggling despite 24-hour care by veterinarians.

Sudan appeared to recover well from an infection that developed on his back right leg at the end of 2017 but another, deeper infection was recently discovered in the same area, the conservancy said.

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-health-world-male-northern-white.html

• Like 4

Tragic, and such a sad indictment of humanity.

Every day I read about some of our advancements in space travel and technology and am amazed.

Every day I read stories like this and get brought back to earth :no:

• Like 8

:( Once again the attempt at conservation is a day late and a dollar short.......

• Like 7

save the dna.  we can repopulate them  someday in the future

46 minutes ago, mysticwerewolf said:

save the dna.  we can repopulate them  someday in the future

Clones aren't genetically sound. You need the variables of a large population. Even if they manage to create offspring with the ones that are left the gene pool is "bottle necked" and there will be negative traits that are "nicked".

https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/bottlenecks_01

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

:( Once again the attempt at conservation is a day late and a dollar short.......

Several.

• Like 1

Old age is a factor in the Rhino's reduced ability to fight the infection.  At least he and the other two are heavily guarded.

• Like 1

Feels like they're just postponing the inevitable, very sorry to say.

• Like 1

It's a subspecies, therefore putting is DNA back in the remaining populations of white rhino's can be a good idea to keep biodiversity.

• Like 1

The world's last surviving male northern white rhino has rallied slightly, days after his carers said his future was "not looking bright".

Sudan, who lives at the Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya, enjoyed a mud bath in the rain on Monday, a spokesman told the BBC.

However, they were still not holding out "big hopes" for a miracle recovery.

The 45-year-old is one of just three remaining northern white rhinos and is the only male.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43300713

I would measure greatness of humankind by the state of other beings, especially those which are endangered. Did i say greatness? Silly me.