Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Hidden' penguin super-colony discovered

Still Waters

Scientists have stumbled across a huge group of previously unknown Adélie penguins on the most northerly point of the Antarctic Peninsula.

Numbering more than 1.5 million birds, they were first noticed when great patches of their poo, or guano, showed up in pictures taken from space.

The animals are crammed on to a rocky archipelago called the Danger Islands.

The researchers, who detail the discovery in the journal Scientific Reports, say it is a total surprise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43250744

• Like 7

Happy feet...that's all I am going to say;)

• Like 5

Wouldn't the island be pretty near the warmest part of Antarctica?

I KNEW it.

• Like 3

Cool! It's amazing what satellites will find from that high up in space. But you got to know what to look for.

• Like 1

I don't think they are rare anymore.

Hank

• Like 1

Great :)

Morbid thought I know...

...I was just wondering if there are any human cultures that eat penguins...

People eat more morbid things for food....https://www.hostelworld.com/blog/the-50-weirdest-foods-from-around-the-world/ ...Also the way chickens and cattle are raised as a commodity rather then a living thing is far more appalling.I do recall reading early explorers eating penquin as a way of survival. Also the eggs. I dont believe its common practice. I guess it comes down to how hungry you are I suppose !

Edited by khol
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, khol said:

People eat more morbid things for food....https://www.hostelworld.com/blog/the-50-weirdest-foods-from-around-the-world/ ...Also the way chickens and cattle are raised as a commodity rather then a living thing is far more appalling.I do recall reading early explorers eating penquin as a way of survival. Also the eggs. I dont believe its common practice. I guess it comes down to how hungry you are I suppose !

It's impossible to have "morbid" food. Food is food. And humans are natural omnivorous creatures and therefore need to eat meat.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, joc said:

Morbid thought I know...

...I was just wondering if there are any human cultures that eat penguins...

Just as there are 1.5 million penguins living on the Danger Islands in the British Overseas Territory known as British Antarctic Territory, there are also many penguins living in another British Overseas Territory - the Falkland Islands. Falkland Islanders don't eat the penguins themselves but do eat their eggs.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Black Monk said:

Just as there are 1.5 million penguins living on the Danger Islands in the British Overseas Territory known as British Antarctic Territory, there are also many penguins living in another British Overseas Territory - the Falkland Islands. Falkland Islanders don't eat the penguins themselves but do eat their eggs.

I'd imagine they would be too greasy and a pain in the butt to cook. Like snow geese. I eat goose eggs but I don't want to, nor have the time to, stick something in the oven and  babysit a grease pan all day. I think penguin would taste really fishy too.

• Like 3

When I saw this topic on the forum page it read "Hidden Penguin Super Col"

So naturally I read it as Hidden Penguin Super Collider. Anything that cute has to be up to something. You know they are....

• Like 2