Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Waspie_Dwarf

James Webb Telescope could face more delays

Waspie_Dwarf

GAO warns JWST could face more delays and cost overruns

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope faces the high probability of additional delays that could cause the telescope to exceed its cost cap, the U.S. Government Accountability Office warned in a Feb. 28 report.

The report, the sixth in a series of annual assessments of the flagship astronomy mission delivered to Congress, concluded there is little schedule reserve left in in the spacecraft’s development, making delays in its launch beyond June 2019 likely.

arrow3.gif  Read More: SpaceNews

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA’s Webb Observatory Requires More Time for Testing and Evaluation; New Launch Window Under Review

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope currently is undergoing final integration and test phases that will require more time to ensure a successful mission. After an independent assessment of remaining tasks for the highly complex space observatory, Webb’s previously revised 2019 launch window now is targeted for approximately May 2020.

“Webb is the highest priority project for the agency’s Science Mission Directorate, and the largest international space science project in U.S. history. All the observatory’s flight hardware is now complete, however, the issues brought to light with the spacecraft element are prompting us to take the necessary steps to refocus our efforts on the completion of this ambitious and complex observatory,” said acting NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

Merc14

Looks like the James Webb Space telescope will now be delayed until at least May 2020.

https://www.space.com/40102-james-webb-space-telescope-launch-delay-2020.html

NASA Delays Launch of James Webb Space Telescope Until 2020

By Sarah Lewin, Space.com Associate Editor | March 27, 2018 11:23am ET

NASA has delayed the launch of its next great space observatory, the James Webb Space Telescope, until no earlier than May 2020 — nearly a year later than planned — due to the need for more testing of the telescope's intricate systems and setbacks including tears in the tennis-court-size sun shield, the space agency announced today (March 27).

Because of the launch delay, the telescope's $8.8 billion price tag could rise, too, NASA officials told reporters today. 

"All the observatory's flight hardware is now complete; however, the issues brought to light with the spacecraft element are prompting us to take the necessary steps to refocus our efforts on the completion of this ambitious and complex observatory," NASA Acting Administrator Robert Lightfoot said in a statement. [Building the James Webb Space Telescope: A Photo Tour]

Billed as the successor to the Hubble Space Telescope, the new space telescope is an infrared observatory designed to peer deep into the universe, study the earliest stars and galaxies, and seek out strange new planets around distant stars. NASA built the space telescope in two parts: the telescope itself and a huge, complicated sun shield that will protect the observatory's sensitive instruments from the sun.

During a news conference, Lightfoot was joined by Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of NASA's science mission directorate, as well as Dennis Andruyk, deputy associate administrator for the directorate, to describe the causes of the delay and the steps they're taking to push the project forward.

article continues at Space.com :  https://www.space.com/40102-james-webb-space-telescope-launch-delay-2020.html

L.A.T.1961

It's worrying to see the sun shield has ripped, hopefully there is a reliable fix. If it is thought that the material is not strong enough to do the job it could stop the whole project.  

Grandpa Greenman

Testing and test some more.  Don't want to send up a faulty telescope again like they did with Hubble. I would rather they err on the side of caution.

• Like 1

Sundew
3 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Testing and test some more.  Don't want to send up a faulty telescope again like they did with Hubble. I would rather they err on the side of caution.

Yeah, without the Space Shuttle, repairs would be difficult. I do hope it is successful, with every new and improved device it sheds ever more light on the universe we live in. Just a pity it isn't launching this year, I'm not getting any younger. 

• Like 1

Merc14
9 hours ago, Sundew said:

Yeah, without the Space Shuttle, repairs would be difficult. I do hope it is successful, with every new and improved device it sheds ever more light on the universe we live in. Just a pity it isn't launching this year, I'm not getting any younger. 

The JWST will not be in LEO like the Hubble,  it will orbit the L2 Lagrange point a million miles from earth (Moon is 240K miles away give or take a few miles) and therefore no chance of repairs even if the shuttle was still flying.

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf
2 hours ago, Merc14 said:

and therefore no chance of repairs even if the shuttle was still flying.

There were plans to include a grapple point so that astronauts flying on an Orion could visit/repair the JWST if necessary. I believe the grapple point was dropped. 

Even with oit the grapple point it is not impossible for a repair mission to the JWST but it would be very difficult, very expensive and possibly risky to the crew. 

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 1

Merc14
15 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

There were plans to include a grapple point so that astronauts flying on an Orion could visit/repair the JWST if necessary. I believe the grapple point was dropped. 

Even with oit the grapple point it is not impossible for a repair mission to the JWST but it would be very difficult, very expensive and possibly risky to the crew. 

Thanks, I now remember reading that some time ago and I shouldn't have used the word "impossible" as obviously it is reachable, albeit not easily.   

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA Announces Independent Review Board Members for James Webb Space Telescope

NASA has assembled members of an external Independent Review Board  for the agency’s  James Webb Space Telescope. The board will evaluate a wide range of factors influencing Webb’s  mission success and reinforce the agency’s approach to completing the final integration and testing phase, launch campaign, and commissioning for NASA’s next flagship space science observatory.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

Merc14
35 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

NASA Announces Independent Review Board Members for James Webb Space Telescope

That is a well selected board, I hope they find that all is well.