Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Déjà vu and feelings of prediction

Still Waters

Most people can relate to the prickly, unsettling experience of déjà vu: When you're in a new situation, but you feel like you've been there before.

For some, that eerie feeling has an added twist: In that moment, they feel like they know what's going to happen next. Say you're walking up a stairwell for the first time, but it feels familiar, like a dream state -- so much so that you think, "At the top of the stairs, there will be a Picasso on the left."

Anne Cleary, a cognitive psychologist at Colorado State University, has spent the last several years establishing déjà vu as a memory phenomenon -- a trick of the brain akin to when a word is on the tip of your tongue, but you just can't retrieve it.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180301125046.htm

• Like 4

From the link.

A professor in CSU's Department of Psychology, Cleary has a new paper in Psychological Science, co-authored by former graduate student Alexander Claxton, detailing how they recreated déjà vu in human subjects in order to examine the feeling of premonition during the déjà vu state. According to their results, participants were no more likely to actually be able to tell the future than if they were blindly guessing. But during déjà vu, they felt like they could -- which seems to mirror real life.

One less 'psychic ability' to worry about.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

"At the top of the stairs, there will be a Picasso on the left."

Then if there really was a Picasso on the left, materialist science would call that a coincidence?

Well, I'm skeptical of any fully materialistic explanation for deja vu. When I was a child, I would get this experience quite frequently and correctly knew with certainty what would happen for about three seconds into the future. I lost this ability as I left childhood. I remember stunning my brother by correctly blurting out the future before it happened. 

My own personal theory regarding déjà vu is that there is an as yet undiscovered gland in the brain that produces an enzyme that helps with memory. If the gland builds up too much it will spontaneously release the enzyme and we experience the sensation of a false memory.

That said, I'm not a doctor or a researcher, so I'm probably full of crap.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

My own personal theory regarding déjà vu is that there is an as yet undiscovered gland in the brain that produces an enzyme that helps with memory. If the gland builds up too much it will spontaneously release the enzyme and we experience the sensation of a false memory.

That said, I'm not a doctor or a researcher, so I'm probably full of crap.

I don't really have a personal theory regarding deja vu....I used to...but I forgot what it was....

• Like 3

I remember reading and writing in this thread before...
And I wrote the exact same thing I write now... 
I AM GOD I CAN PREDICT AND ALTER THE FUTURE..

Lets make pancakes for lunch with blueberry jam because last time I was in this thread and wrote this I had strawberry jam

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm probably full of crap.

You heard it here first, folks!

:w00t:

• Like 1

I just had kind of an epiphany of sorts about Deja vu and other related metaphysical phenomenon.  

We know that the brain puts out small amounts of electrical waves.  Beta waves I think...not very strong at all.  But I have had this experience more than once where...in this instance...I was talking to a girl while sitting in a car at my house many years ago.  We were discussing car wrecks...various situations in which they occur.   I was telling her of the situation where someone is turning left...but someone is in too big of a hurry several cars back and decides to shoot the rapids and fly by everyone else and winds up T boning the person making the left turn.

Later that afternoon, I found out that my very best friend in the world had been  involved in that exact situation...in close proximity to the time my girlfriend and I were discussing it.

So...It suddenly struck me ....just a few moments ago...like a bolt of lightning...that perhaps brain waves travel from person to person....connecting dots, in the same way that lightening happens.  Lightning is just the connection of positive ions in the atmosphere...once the connection is made to the ground...a burst of electricity built up in the clouds shoots down the conduit and we call that Lightning.

So....perhaps brain waves, are transferred the same way, from interacting with brain receptors from person to person until it reaches the brain receptor that can acknowledge on a subconscious level the information being transmitted.

Hoaky idea for sure...too early?  Too much coffee?  Not enough coffee?

• 2 weeks later...

I get Deja vu a lot when I am lacking sleep. Whenever it happens I get this weird feeling like I've done this life before and I'm doing it again on loop, hoping that I'll get it right 'this time'.

I haven't got the slightest idea what 'getting it right' would refer to, though.