Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lab-grown meat could go on sale by end of year

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Lab-grown meat could go on sale by end of year

Yeah, It may look tasty but I'm gonna pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twin said:

And besides, What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing. People need to stop being scared of science. This meat is produced by dividing cells just the same as with a living animal. The fact that they can successfully do this in a lab is a great step forward.

As long as it tastes good, I'm excited to try it.

• Like 3

I will stick with my local stockman and my crossbow thank you very much...

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, trancelikestate said:

Nothing. People need to stop being scared of science. This meat is produced by dividing cells just the same as with a living animal. The fact that they can successfully do this in a lab is a great step forward.

As long as it tastes good, I'm excited to try it.

Most sensible post in this thread.

There's something about "natural" meat that more-so appeals to my sense of acceptability.

Doesn't mean "lab meat" is wrong or distasteful, and for all I know it could potentially be more healthy.

Indeed, much of the ingredients of a multi-vitamin are synthesized and few people even care.

Even aspirin, at one time only procured through the bark of a willow tree has, for many decades, been synthesized.

Yet for a hunter or fisherman, to them nothing is better than "fresh, natural meat" both in taste and totality of the adventure.

I applaud the science, for sure, but for now I will stick with natural sources.

Again, that's just my preference, and I have no problem with those OK with lab-grown meat.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

I'd have a go.

Could solve World hunger...Would veggies eat it though?

Looks like it says PETA has been investing, so probably. They're vegans over at PETA, I think. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

I..Would veggies eat it though?

It would depend on why they are veggies. If it was just for animal suffering reasons, then I think they would be good to go on this. If it is also for health and spiritual effects, then no.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

As a vegetarian for the reason of reducing animal suffering, I would be ready to chow-down on this. I wonder when it might even get offered in restaurants.

In the long run picture, I wonder if it will bring down the demand for animal meat? Could animal meat even be banned someday?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

I will stick with my local stockman and my crossbow thank you very much...

Could help with world hunger as previously mentioned,but only if it can be cheaply produced but....

I read about this several years back,so it's nice to see it wasn't just talk...

I will stick with the real thing myself,i usually get 6-8 months worth of REAL non hormonal,grass fed,no antibiotic meat every deer and turkey season... ;)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Could help with world hunger as previously mentioned,but only if it can be cheaply produced but....

I will stick with the real thing myself,i usually get 6-8 months worth of REAL non hormonal,grass fed,no antibiotic meat every deer and turkey season... ;)

Right. It would only help if it was a cheaper method.

It would do away with the need to pump live animals full of crap that will pass itself on to us.

Wouldn't help us out with dairy, though.

For that we would still need a bazillion cows crapping everywhere.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Could animal meat even be banned someday?

Good question.

Likely not globally in any sense of the "near future", as many people's and indigenous tribes depend on wild fish and game.

Of interest as well, is that as humankind expands their category of "pets", I can only assume that the localized acceptance to eat them for food will lessen.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Good question.

Likely not globally in any sense of the "near future", as many people's and indigenous tribes depend on wild fish and game.

Yeah, I certainly was not talking 'near future'. The end of animal factory-farms sounds good to me.

But yes, perhaps sustainable wild caught meat, might be the last (if ever) to get banned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Right. It would only help if it was a cheaper method.

It would do away with the need to pump live animals full of crap that will pass itself on to us.

Wouldn't help us out with dairy, though.

For that we would still need a bazillion cows crapping everywhere.

Actually having all those cows dunking everywhere is good for the ground, as manure is good fertilizer.

4 minutes ago, Brandy333 said:

Actually having all those cows dunking everywhere is good for the ground, as manure is good fertilizer.

To a certain extent, it is.

And then there are other extents we bring it to because there are so many of us. 

• Like 2

The trouble with lab-grown meat is that it's impossible to know if there will be any adverse health effects to eating it.

Scientists can't even agree on whether certain regular foods are good or bad for you.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Saru said:

The trouble with lab-grown meat is that it's impossible to know if there will be any adverse health effects to eating it.

Scientists can't even agree on the adverse effects of many existing, regular foods.

We already know there are adverse health effects to eating so much meat.

But it's so tasty.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 3

Probably can't be any worse than GMO foods. 

Most of us are eating those things.

There should be mandatory coloring to differentiate it from the meat sourced from living animals ... green ... green should be nice ... a nice thick slab of a green juicy four inch high sirloin steak  ... then they can forget about the broccoli too ..

~

• Like 3

Just now, third_eye said:

There should be mandatory coloring to differentiate it from the meat sourced from living animals ... green ... green should be nice ... a nice thick slab of a green juicy four inch high sirloin steak  ... then they can forget about the broccoli too ..

~

Green would be a bad choice.

Soylent Green and all.

• Like 2

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Green would be a bad choice.

Soylent Green and all.

Exactly ...

:D

~

Think Moon Base Lunar One ... or Mars Terra Metropolis ...

~

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrimsonKing said:

Yeah, you shop with a crossbow too. :tu:

I've been working on a pig I bought off some Mexicans and hacked up. I still have that last roast and 1 liver. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Saru said:

Scientists can't even agree on whether certain regular foods are good or bad for you.

Double like :tu:

I won't eat store bought meat or eggs. I always know the grower. 

• Like 3

Just now, Piney said:

I won't eat store bought meat or eggs. I always know the grower. 

:tu:

I can't stand not knowing where my food is sourced from <_<

I like my local butcher shop around here,that guy knows where EVERY cut he has comes from...it's a shame that is a dieing out profession in many areas due to mass production.

I'll never forget when the main guy behind "pink slime" went on tv and explained the goodness of the product (shakes head)...sneaky crap like that is why i really don't trust others with my food!

• Like 2