Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

PM May only has two Brexit options left

Unusual Tournament

4 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

I don't forget it. I just can't stand her views on medical cannabis or her policies regarding DRU's.  Then there's Amber Rudd who 'doesn't need to know how technology works to legislate on it's before going on to make technically impossible requests /facepalm.

Boris Johnson needs to be sacked at the very least for his utter cowardice and devil-may-care attitude to how Britain appears to the rest of the world. I don't want a foreign secretary who's only in the position as some form of schoolboy punishment. 

The only shame is that we don't seem to have a viable option for change. 

I think being an utter ****** must be a qualification for a Ministerial post. I mean you've got Boris, the man who makes our very good friend President Trump look like George Washington, representing Britain to the world :rofl: , and just look at the successive idiots who've occupied the post of Defence Secretary,or Minister, or whatever it is, the qualification for which seems to be to be a caricature of Colonel Blimp, and be as idiotically bellicose as possible, while at the same time their very own department is plotting to sell off what remaining assets the Navy does actually have!! Really the only response to all these idiots is to make appropriate gestures behind their back. 

45 minutes ago, I'mConvinced said:

I don't forget it. I just can't stand her views on medical cannabis or her policies regarding DRU's.  Then there's Amber Rudd who 'doesn't need to know how technology works to legislate on it' before going on to make technically impossible requests /facepalm.

Boris Johnson needs to be sacked at the very least for his utter cowardice and devil-may-care attitude to how Britain appears to the rest of the world. I don't want a foreign secretary who's only in the position as some form of schoolboy punishment. 

The only shame is that we don't seem to have a viable option for change. 

Exactly.

Just looking at the two ministerial posts you mention... Diane Abbott as Home Secretary, and Emily Thornberry as Foreign Secretary?

giphy.gif

The whole political system needs overhauling. Sadly, I don't see it happening any time soon, and it certainly won't happen during Brexit negotiations.

• Like 5

I have a long list of objections to Brexit, but I've just added another!

Take the example of Dairy. We import a quarter of our dairy products from the EU. When post-Brexit tariffs are introduced, we will source less from Europe and more from Australia & New Zealand.

Brexit is not just a financial and political disaster, but an environmental issue too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acute said:

Take the example of Dairy. We import a quarter of our dairy products from the EU. When post-Brexit tariffs are introduced, we will source less from Europe and more from Australia & New Zealand.

Brexit is not just a financial and political disaster, but an environmental issue too.

How much are the tariffs going to be?

Won't that stop our dairy farmers pouring milk down the drain? we could become self-sufficient again.

I remember eating lamb chops mid week and a whole leg of lamb for sunday dinner it wasn't just for special occasions, affordable meat from Australia & New Zealand bring it on, i can't wait.

4 hours ago, acute said:

ever thought we might be able to supply it ourselves, if our farmers did not have to comply with Common European Standards that are inevitably geared in favour of big, usually, French, producers? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

ever thought we might be able to supply it ourselves, if our farmers did not have to comply with Common European Standards that are inevitably geared in favour of big, usually, French, producers? 

This is a Brextopian fantasy!

We only have a Dairy industry because of EU subsidies. Dairy farming is a loss-making enterprise, and milk is a loss-leader in our supermarkets.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, acute said:

We only have a Dairy industry because of EU subsidies. Dairy farming is a loss-making enterprise, and milk is a loss-leader in our supermarkets.

Might as well give up now then, eh?

If Britain has got into such a poor state that we can't even produce our own dairy goods - something we've managed for millenia - then we'd better start writing the begging letters to our European overlords! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

Are they no longer capable of providing milk and dairy products such as cheese and Yogurt, and they have to rely on the generosity of the French? Is it literally impossible to provide for the British population themselves? Or do economic factors conspire to make it uneconomic? Could one of those factors be, as mentioned above, the mass - some might say very wasteful - production by heavily subsidised, predominantly French, farmers?

Edited by Vlad the Mighty
  • Like 1

On 09/03/2018 at 3:44 AM, acute said:

same here in Australia. The introduction of multinationals has decimated our dairy industry and producers get paid a pittance while the supermarket price is sky high for dairy products. I like what the EU has done, namely allow the small producer to compete directly with the huge multinationals on a equal footing. I guess “global” Britain will see a similar outcome.

• Like 1

seems like a new third brexit option is also being considered. one that does away with any pretext of taking control of Britains borders including the Irish border. 

The UK is considering opening its borders and abandoning all customs checks after Brexit.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/theresa-may-government-planning-open-borders-in-no-deal-brexit-2018-3?r=UK&IR=T

Is there a brexit option that means we'd be free of deranged prime minister Theresa May?

I do realize now very much how reasonable Americans must have felt during the Bush II years (and now perhaps during the Age of Trump). How embarrassing it is to be represented on the world stage by someone so utterly clueless and with such delusions of power, and the complete lack of awareness how powerless they are. 

She's only got one option - to pull Britain fully out of the European Union, as per the democratic wishes of the British people.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

seems like a new third brexit option is also being considered. one that does away with any pretext of taking control of Britains borders including the Irish border. 

The UK is considering opening its borders and abandoning all customs checks after Brexit.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/theresa-may-government-planning-open-borders-in-no-deal-brexit-2018-3?r=UK&IR=T

What you are doing here is highlighting the benefits of Leaving the EU. See the point is, The UK is free to chose what it wants to do something which as members of the EU was denied - Just look at all the opportunities you've highlighted over the last few weeks. The United Kingdom free to do what's in the interest of the UK Market and Economy. no longer having to reach a consensus serving 27 other differing interests.

• Like 2

On 08/03/2018 at 5:44 PM, acute said:

Britain doesn't receive any money from the EU. Britain is a net contributor to the EU budget.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

Britain doesn't receive any money from the EU. Britain is a net contributor to the EU budget.

I know that, but the EU redistributes the money by subsidising our dairy farms in a way that a post-Brexit UK government won't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, acute said:

I know that, but the EU redistributes the money by subsidising our dairy farms in a way that a post-Brexit UK government won't.

So should we vote ‘remain’ if we want to protect our food security? Not necessarily. Consider the question of whether the EU will punish us for leaving, with tariffs depressing prices for UK farmers. It’s possible, but the EU needs us more than we need them. We have a huge trading deficit with the EU and almost half of it, £32 billion, is with Germany. They are desperate for us to keep buying their cars and white goods, so maybe we shouldn’t panic too much on that score.

And how unknown will the unknown we are leaping into actually be? It is known, for example, that we would finally be allowed to negotiate our own trade agreements with non-EU countries, because Iceland does this already, most successfully. Already 60 per cent of our trade is with countries outside the EU, and British farmers will become more competitive in their dealings with them if they are no longer tied down by EU red tape. But from the farmers’ perspective, these are secondary issues. What matters more to them in the short term is being able to stay in business, and they won’t be able to do that without subsidies. This is where Westminster will have to step in, if it is serious about food security.

The weird thing is, it would make financial sense. Just to continue paying farmers the same subsidy as they are getting now would cost the British taxpayer half as much, because, at present, we pay £6 billion a year into the CAP, but our farmers get only £3 billion back. British farmers are effectively subsidising their competitors: the French, by far the biggest beneficiary of the CAP, receive three times as much.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/how-brexit-would-affect-british-farmers/

54 minutes ago, acute said:

Those subsidies are to protect French agriculture, in effect they are paying British Farmers to be uncompetitive,  Just look at the forty years of income support, its done nothing for the industry, it has have done little to improve productivity and efficiency in the dairy sector. UK farming needs to be profitable and competitive and raise the welfare of the Animals.

and i don't forget when French farmers protesting set fire to a British transport llorry carrying Live sheep who burnt to death. or when they block British lorries carrying Fish and threw the cargo all over the motorway.

Michael Gove on environment and farming. and was well received by the environment and farming Unions. this policy area is currently a EU area of competence. this speech is about the UK regaining its own department and policy.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

The environment secretary told farmers the government would guarantee subsidies at the current EU level until the 2022 election. There would then be a "transitional period" in England.

Please keep up.

• Like 1

Maybe there should be a do-over. 

I don't think a lot of people realized what it would actually mean. 

And maybe this time, our billionaires could quit trying to influence folks over there.

They're in cahoots with Russian oligarchs, and I hope they aren't sitting on your power grid like they are over here. 

Wringing their fingers and waiting for that moment when you're no longer part of the EU.

Edited by ChaosRose

20 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Maybe there should be a do-over. 

I don't think a lot of people realized what it would actually mean. 

And maybe this time, our billionaires could quit trying to influence folks over there.

They're in cahoots with Russian oligarchs, and I hope they aren't sitting on your power grid like they are over here. 

Wringing their fingers and waiting for that moment when you're no longer part of the EU.

Are you seriously bringing out the Remainers "One trick pony" again? It's been done to death and shown for the logical fallacy that it is

Just now, keithisco said:

Are you seriously bringing out the Remainers "One trick pony" again? It's been done to death and shown for the logical fallacy that it is

I'm seriously saying Russia has their fingers on the button that can shut down our power and water over here.

They've also done a massive disinfo campaign to affect our election so that they wouldn't be held accountable for any of it.

It seems like they've also tried to do that to you guys. 

They're already on your soil with nerve gas. 

I hope we're all gonna be ok, but I don't think so.

If divide and conquer is the game, they've already won half of it.

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm seriously saying Russia has their fingers on the button that can shut down our power and water over here.

They've also done a massive disinfo campaign to affect our election so that they wouldn't be held accountable for any of it.

It seems like they've also tried to do that to you guys. 

They're already on your soil with nerve gas. 

I hope we're all gonna be ok, but I don't think so.

Sorry, but I don't know where you hail from-I guess from your comment that it is somewhere in Continental Europe.