Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I think I know what I saw

UM-Bot

By: Mysticwerewolf | Location: Near Sultan, Washington

Back in the late 70s and early 80s I used to target practice in the sand and Gravel pits and mountains around Sultan Washington. Back in the summer of 82 I was target practicing one summer day and had a unusual encounter in one of those sand pits. 

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112036/i-think-i-know-what-i-saw

• Like 1

your story is very interesting.  like you, i don't know if you actually saw big foot or someone dressed up as big foot.  if it was someone foolishly dressed up as big foot, he or she could have been shot dead by you. 

On 05/03/2018 at 1:49 PM, UM-Bot said:

By: Mysticwerewolf | Location: Near Sultan, Washington

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112036/i-think-i-know-what-i-saw

I've often thought what a risk it would be to dress up as bigfoot because it would be all to easy in the heat of the moment to take a shot at him 

I think this is a very interesting story even for Bigfoot stories for a few reasons. It lends support to my theory that Bigfoot is real but possessing attributes we would call paranormal. Somehow you developed tunnel vision after you intended to shoot. Also, the no evidence like footprints when standing on sand (if I understood correctly) does not seem like normal phenomena.

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I think this is a very interesting story even for Bigfoot stories for a few reasons. It lends support to my theory that Bigfoot is real but possessing attributes we would call paranormal. Somehow you developed tunnel vision after you intended to shoot. Also, the no evidence like footprints when standing on sand (if I understood correctly) does not seem like normal phenomena.

I  have also wondered if there is something mentally unique about what we call bigfoot. it would explain how there are so rarely signs of one. But I still wonder at what I really saw. This is a story I rarely tell anyone.

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The lack of footprints is truly strange and begs an explanation if it was standing there.

The tunnel vision is not. It tells me he was believing a threat was there and was actually about to really shoot something which had him very stressed. Look at police shootings etc. It is very common as a trigger is being pulled and many times later they cannot tell you what else was being said or what else was happening at the time. I think it is a sort of survival mode that can kick in. It causes a lot of onlookers to the scene to not understand how the shooter did not know this or see that or hear what John Boy was yelling, so he must be lying. He isn't. It is a real thing. Not paranormal. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

The tunnel vision is not. It tells me he was believing a threat was there and was actually about to really shoot something which had him very stressed. Look at police shootings etc. It is very common as a trigger is being pulled and many times later they cannot tell you what else was being said or what else was happening at the time. I think it is a sort of survival mode that can kick in. It causes a lot of onlookers to the scene to not understand how the shooter did not know this or see that or hear what John Boy was yelling, so he must be lying. He isn't. It is a real thing. Not paranormal. 

We've been there and done that have we not?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

We've been there and done that have we not?

yes, my Bro, we have.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matt221 said:

I've often thought what a risk it would be to dress up as bigfoot because it would be all to easy in the heat of the moment to take a shot at him 

Same with those clowns during that fad of them recently trying to scare kids. I would have shot had I seen one chasing my kid, I garontay. Mind you, we all are armed and lack humor around here for that. Didn't have clowns messing around. No Bigfoot either.... Funny how that works :) 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Now that may be true, but we must still keep open the possibility that the Bigfoot had a (paranormal) skill to heighten (evoke) this stress response as a survival technique of the Bigfoot. I would like to hear @mysticwerewolf thoughts on how he felt and why he thinks he experienced what he did versus other shooting experiences.

Edited by papageorge1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Now that may be true, but we must still keep open the possibility that the Bigfoot had a (paranormal) skill to heighten (evoke) this stress response as a survival technique of the Bigfoot. I would like to hear @mysticwerewolf thoughts on how he felt and why he thinks he experienced what he did versus other shooting experiences.

I always thought there was a chemical one. Like a pheromonal discharge of some sort. Initiating a "fear factor" That is of course, going by accounts I read. But Like I said before. I followed up on just about every sighting in the Pine Barrens and I haven't found any evidence yet. 

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Lord knows I would never tell him not to talk about it, just the known, real factor of normal tunnel vision and how much higher stress would be to think I was seeing something like BF, or ET or grizzly .... no paranormal power needed, I'd be freaking out. Street thugs are one thing, something bigger than me or alien? Forget it, I'd be freaking. I like his story for the reality of it, and no, I do not believe in BF, tbh. Not the way the tales go or how most think of him. I appreciate his story though. I believe it. He was sure he saw something out there.

But go ahead and let's call it paranormal, maybe spores in the air or something. Paranormal spores..... or he emanates energy waves of panic or .... something like that. Paranormal energy waves even.....

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I always thought there was a chemical one. Like a pheromonal discharge of some sort. Initiating a "fear factor" That is of course, going by accounts I read. But Like I said before. I followed up on just about every sighting in the Pine Barrens and I haven't found any evidence yet. 

The OP story may help explain why you have not been able to find evidence. The story suggests the Bigfoot may have a paranormal way to cover their tracks (literally and figuratively).

Just now, papageorge1 said:

The OP story may help explain why you have not been able to find evidence. The story suggests the Bigfoot may have a paranormal way to cover their tracks (literally and figuratively).

I can do that without paranormal methods. I'm sure something that lives closer to, and deeper in, the wilderness can do the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I can do that without paranormal methods. I'm sure something that lives closer to, and deeper in, the wilderness can do the same.

That explanation is less likely in this case because the OP watched the creature until he vanished. I would think covering tracks in a sandy pit would requires some noticeable effort.

Just now, papageorge1 said:

That explanation is less likely in this case because the OP watched the creature until he vanished. I would think covering tracks in a sandy pit would requires some noticeable effort.

Sand is easy to cover your tracks in. Ask any Tuareg or Dine' tracker.

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I was totally stunned at what I was seeing, Granted it was along time ago, but I do not remember any emotions save stunned amazement ( and it haunts me more now then it did then) until it vanished, Then I got excited. And like so many others would, at first I thought someone in a suit was standing there. it was totally calm, or so it looked. It was just standing there watching me until it vanished.. and there was No time for the creature to hide it's tracks and vanish into the woods.  It could not have been more than two or three minutes from the time it stepped backwards and vanished into the trees until I was standing where it had been. having tracked animals across sand  I know that tracks are reduced but cannot be hidden without effort unless of course you in the midst of a sand storm. My biggest surprise was that I didn't pull the trigger it wasn,'t until I saw Harry and the Hendersons several years later that I became scared at what I might have done.  The biggest reason I am surprised even now that I didn't take the shot was that  I don't hesitate and don't miss when I chose to pull the trigger (and a million dollars Was a lot of money back then.) but in this case I decided to pull the trigger and put the rifle down instead.

• Like 1

I am going to amend the above just a little there was a brief flash of fear, after I got back to my car from the search. But other than that the emotions above are mostly what I remember feeling.

57 minutes ago, mysticwerewolf said:

I was totally stunned at what I was seeing, Granted it was along time ago, but I do not remember any emotions save stunned amazement ( and it haunts me more now then it did then) until it vanished, Then I got excited. And like so many others would, at first I thought someone in a suit was standing there. it was totally calm, or so it looked. It was just standing there watching me until it vanished.. and there was No time for the creature to hide it's tracks and vanish into the woods.  It could not have been more than two or three minutes from the time it stepped backwards and vanished into the trees until I was standing where it had been. having tracked animals across sand  I know that tracks are reduced but cannot be hidden without effort unless of course you in the midst of a sand storm. My biggest surprise was that I didn't pull the trigger it wasn,'t until I saw Harry and the Hendersons several years later that I became scared at what I might have done.  The biggest reason I am surprised even now that I didn't take the shot was that  I don't hesitate and don't miss when I chose to pull the trigger (and a million dollars Was a lot of money back then.) but in this case I decided to pull the trigger and put the rifle down instead.

That is what I was getting at in my posts. Something seemingly paranormal not allowing you to get a disclosure for the world! I think this Bigfoot phenomena is not fully in the realm of the "known'.

• Like 1