Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Critically ill man is former Russian spy

LV-426

4 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

What odds do you rekon i'll get on him winning? 

Make a few quid, no doubt.

16 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Why was Litvinenko killed?

He was also held in Russia prior to seeking asylum in Britain, albeit not imprisoned at the time of his flight.

There's not enough evidence in this case yet, but it seems to me that if it's proven to be an assassination attempt, you either buy into state-sponsorship by Russia, or buy into bee's theory of this being the doing of our own government or that of our allies.

I know where my money is.

It's also worth pointing out at this stage that Skripal and his daughter are still alive, but critically ill. With luck they may pull through.

I haven't seen anything official, but the news article I saw this morning suggested the agent used may not have been radiological, but a VX nerve agent similar to that used on Kim Jong-nam. It might be identified as early as this afternoon according to the same source.

2 police officers and 1 other emergency service worker had small amounts of what the unknown is. It has been some type of radiation.

Anyone thinking of the Russian mob, apparently they have big pressence in the UK

• Like 3

Well, now the Government is convening a meeting of the Top Secret Cobra Emergency Committee, hosted probably by Dame Judi Dench as M, to discuss the emergency. Quite why it should be a national emergency no one in the state controlled press has yet taken the time to explain. Do they believe that Putin's invisible ninja-like assassins (who can, at the same time, be easily recognised by their big fur coats and Siberian fox fur hats) are going to be roaming the country bumping off senior political figures with their ninja-like mystery poison?

* Oh dear, we've just heard that Bond won't be able to make it. There's absolutely nowhere to park an Aston Martin DB11 around the M16 Headquarters at Vauxhall - I mean, er, the secret and undisclosed location of the Top Secret Cobra Emergency Committee. Never mind, Borish Johnson is willing to take on the job. Don't worry, we're safe. 

Edited by Vlad the Mighty

11 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Is see the blustering little idiot Boris, with his hair flying wildly and spittle flying from his mouth, is promising a Robust Response. Like remind us why this is any business of Theresa may's shambolic "government"? It's the busienss for the police, so leave them to it. 

23 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Well, now the Government is convening a meeting of the Top Secret Cobra Emergency Committee, hosted probably by Dame Judi Dench as M, to discuss the emergency. Quite why it should be a national emergency no one in the state controlled press has yet taken the time to explain. Do they believe that Putin's invisible ninja-like assassins (who can, at the same time, be easily recognised by their big fur coats and Siberian fox fur hats) are going to be roaming the country bumping off senior political figures with their ninja-like mystery poison?

* Oh dear, we've just heard that Bond won't be able to make it. There's absolutely nowhere to park an Aston Martin DB11 around the M16 Headquarters at Vauxhall - I mean, er, the secret and undisclosed location of the Top Secret Cobra Emergency Committee. Never mind, Borish Johnson is willing to take on the job. Don't worry, we're safe. 

hands Vlad the Mighty a de-caffeinated coffee, and some hair gell

It is most CERTAINLY the business of HM Government if assassins in the pay of a foreign government are roaming the streets of the Empire !

The COBRA is not at Vauxhall Cross; the clue is in the name... "Cabinet Office Briefing Room A". It's in Whitehall. (No. 70, to be precise). And if Bond isn't present, it means that he's .... somewhere else. Be afraid, Mr Putin, be very afraid :D 

Now.. to business. 

Things have changed. The investigation has now been transferred FROM the Salisbury police TO the Counter Terrorism Command. This doesn't necessarily imply "terrorism", as the CTC also deals with counter espionage, and Sergei Skipol was - of course - a former spy. (no doubt the Security Services will be working in the background as well). 

More alarmingly, the analysis of the "poison" has been transferred from NHS England to the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory at Porton Down. (although this may also be because they are just down the road from Salisbury.)

• Like 4

It is most CERTAINLY the business of HM Government

Why's that then? Why should we be concerned if Agents of a Foreign Power are bumping off traitors and turncoats? Why should we be concerned about other countries' traitors? Because he was Working for Us? Well, wasn't in that case the "democratic" British government conspiring against other countries? If the UK Govt. was supporting conspiracies against them, they've got every right to conspire against traitors in this country, I'd have thought. Usual hypocrisy. 

53 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Why's that then? Why should we be concerned if Agents of a Foreign Power are bumping off traitors and turncoats? Why should we be concerned about other countries' traitors? Because he was Working for Us? Well, wasn't in that case the "democratic" British government conspiring against other countries? If the UK Govt. was supporting conspiracies against them, they've got every right to conspire against traitors in this country, I'd have thought. Usual hypocrisy. 

So you are saying that the government shouldn’t be briefed if foreign powers are potentially murdering people in the UK?

I struggle to see how you are missing the political angle in this!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Why should we be concerned if Agents of a Foreign Power are bumping off traitors and turncoats?

Seriously? you think it would be OK for any government to allow a foreign power to feel it can run about unhindered murdering people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

So you approve of the murder of Russians that defect to the UK and reveal Russian military secrets to the British Intelligence Services ?

You approve of Russian agents wandering around the Empire poisoning people ? 

rips of Vlad's fake moustache

You are Jeremy Corbyn, and I claim my £10.00 prize ! :D 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Well, that's the second time I've almost choked on my coffee with the quality humour in this thread :nw:

Actually... it might be the third, with Vlad's stance on the necessity for government involvement in potential state-sponsored assassintion... :unsure2:

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

hands Vlad the Mighty a de-caffeinated coffee, and some hair gell

It is most CERTAINLY the business of HM Government if assassins in the pay of a foreign government are roaming the streets of the Empire !

Whoa buddy, little but behind the times there. 

Otherwise, yes. 

5 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Conspire against, sure. That's what governments do. 

Murdering people on each others territory? Not generally looked so kindly on. 

We should absolutely be concerned if (and it is a big if) any foreign power, including governments, is killing people on our streets for any reason. Firstly, while he may have betrayed Russia, we promised him protection. If we fail in that, how many others do you think will help us? And how long before that foreign power feels safe to target British citizens? 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Actually... it might be the third, with Vlad's stance on the necessity for government involvement in potential state-sponsored assassintion... :unsure2:

Umm.... I think that - by definition - government involvement is ENTIRELY necessary for state-sponsored assassination. Otherwise it wouldn't be state sponsored ? It would be... dunno... crowdfunded or something ? :D

sorry.... couldn't resist. I'll get back in my box now shall I ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 3

On 3/6/2018 at 8:12 AM, RoofGardener said:

Why would Putin wan't to kill Sergei Skripal ? He was a spy. He was caught, sentenced by a Russian court, and imprisoned in a Russian prison. He was released as part of a spy swap.

Why kill him now, and in such a cack-handed and obvious way ? I don't see how it would give any advantage to the Russians, whi lst at the same time it would cause a diplomatic incident.

Has anyone considered the possibility that he was going to be a witness and testify against the Russian government? 

25 minutes ago, White Unicorn said:

Has anyone considered the possibility that he was going to be a witness and testify against the Russian government? 

Too many questions and too few answers at the minute I guess.

To put this story into context, I found this article interesting:

Sergei Skripal and the 14 deaths under scrutiny

The Litvinenko case is well-known, but I wasn't aware of some of the others.

• Like 2

I fully expect the Prime Minister to appear on TV at any moment and announce that "This country is now at war with Russia", as the nation solemnly stands up as the theme from Dad's Army plays, hastily re-edited to go "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Putin" .

8 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Seriously? you think it would be OK for any government to allow a foreign power to feel it can run about unhindered murdering people.

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

So you approve of the murder of Russians that defect to the UK and reveal Russian military secrets to the British Intelligence Services ?

You approve of Russian agents wandering around the Empire poisoning people ? 

I really don't give a flying monkey whether Vladimir Putin assassinates traitors, in this country or anywhere at all. Why should it be my concern? Surely that's the :blush: hazard of the job. It's the kind of thing the :o CIA does all around the world all the time. 

4 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I really don't give a **** whether Vladimir Putin assassinates traitors, in this country or anywhere at all. Why should it be my concern? Surely that's the ****ing hazard of the job. It's the kind of thing the ****ing CIA does all around the world all the time. 

It's a relief to know that you'd treat CIA assassins on UK soil with a yawn.  Hazards of the job, and all...

• Like 1

I suppose Theresa May and idiot Boris might have cause to feel angry since I suppose it should have been their responsibility to protect one of their intelligence Assets, but surely to God they can't realistically be incandescent with fury and bluster about Acts of War (i'm sure one of therm has, probably the current Defence Secretary, who seems as much a bellicose idiot as all holders of the post ever have been) and all the rest of it that, perhaps, agents of Russia's Tyrant has managed to slip through the security and get in a hit. I mean, what the hell kind of round the clock protection were they supposedly giving him that he could wander around Salisbury,of all random places, and give Putin's hitman his chance? Where the hell was the Secret Service protection? That's the questions they ought to be asking, not blustering in preposterous outrage. 

6 minutes ago, and then said:

It's a relief to know that you'd treat CIA assassins on UK soil with a yawn.  Hazards of the job, and all...

It's all part of the game, so surely you should accept the consequences. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

Anyone thinking of the Russian mob, apparently they have big pressence in the UK

Why yes, they even have an embassy in London.

It's located at 6/7 Kensington Palace Gardens. :rolleyes:

Edited by Likely Guy

20 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I really don't give a **** whether Vladimir Putin assassinates traitors, in this country or anywhere at all. Why should it be my concern? Surely that's the ****ing hazard of the job. It's the kind of thing the ****ing CIA does all around the world all the time. 

Wow hey there Vlad, watch it with the swearing please.

19 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I really don't give a **** whether Vladimir Putin assassinates traitors

I can understand that. But as a country the UK or any other country cannot simply ignore the issue - its basically 2 fingers to the country, its values and its security forces.

There's a superb example of Trying to Blame Absolutely Everything on Russia#s #1 Tyrant here.. : http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/16069837.poisoning-of-russian-double-agent-may-lead-to-review-of-portland-businessmans-death/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

Well done, Labour's Yvette Cooper, you win today's prize for over-zealous imagination.

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

Wow hey there Vlad, watch it with the swearing please.

Well I'm sorry, but the whole outrage is so hysterically absurd. I shall go back and edit it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I really don't give a flying monkey whether Vladimir Putin assassinates traitors, in this country or anywhere at all. Why should it be my concern? Surely that's the :blush: hazard of the job. It's the kind of thing the :o CIA does all around the world all the time. 

And how do you feel about our own police officers, one of whom is now in a serious condition in hospital?

The police have also confirmed a nerve agent was used:

Russian spy: Nerve agent 'used to try to kill' Sergei Skripal

"A nerve agent was used to try to murder a former Russian spy and his daughter, police have said.

Sergei and Yulia Skripal were found unconscious in Salisbury on Sunday afternoon and remain critically ill.

A police officer who was the first to attend the scene is now in a serious condition in hospital, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, head of Counter Terrorism Policing, said."

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

It's all part of the game, so surely you should accept the consequences. 

No. I mean REALLY.... no. :(