Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted/Abandoned places

DodgeGirl24

Does anyone know of any haunted and or abandoned places that I could possibly visit? Preferably in the Pennsylvania area.

Thing to do is find somewhere that is out of business now in a local town or city and ask the owner for permission to go in and explore it. Find some new old location, it is more interesting.

Determine for yourself if it has anything going on really, or just has a fun scare factor. Any old building has the potential for at least recorded sorts of haunts.

I have never approved of people sneaking into places without permission especially those who go alone or with one friend. You can get injured, you can be attacked or killed by people hiding out in there, or you can damage a place someone still owns and thought was secure. But, that is the retired cop talking. I always worry more about the living "haunts" than the dead.

• Like 3

I agree with the who sneaking in places because it is very dangerous. But because a lot of places around where I am are completely abandoned with no one owning them sometimes it's the last resort. But I never go alone I have e learned from that mistake. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DodgeGirl24 said:

I agree with the who sneaking in places because it is very dangerous. But because a lot of places around where I am are completely abandoned with no one owning them sometimes it's the last resort. But I never go alone I have e learned from that mistake. 

Don’t ever assume abandonment. Legal abandonment is rather rare. A lot of places are unoccupied and/or neglected, that’s different than abandonment. Always assume a property is legally owned and under trespassing laws until you fully research and find out otherwise. 

• Like 1

I always check for the trespassing signs and what not before I enter the building or property in general. 

28 minutes ago, DodgeGirl24 said:

Does anyone know of any haunted and or abandoned places that I could possibly visit? Preferably in the Pennsylvania area.

There are abandon villages and sites all over the Pine Barrens in New Jersey that are state owned and legal to visit. There is even maps and guidebooks. 

1 minute ago, DodgeGirl24 said:

I always check for the trespassing signs and what not before I enter the building or property in general. 

That doesn't mean anything. It doesn't have to be legally posted to be off limits anymore.

2 minutes ago, DodgeGirl24 said:

There more to it than that. Quite often people take down signs. Check property records before you even go. 99.8% of properties are owned, and it’s trespassing even without public posting. Even public properties or open to the public properties have business hours or straight up off limits going on.

• Like 2

And sorry to double post but apparently my manners have completely fled me... I do tend to be rather strident when it comes to haunt legalities, and forgot to welcome you in my abruptness.

welcome to UM Dodge :st

• 5 weeks later...

Check out treasure hunting/metal detecting hobby sites. They often mention searching for historical areas, tips on getting permission, finding property owners, and such.

Your local library is a rich source of information in the "local history" section.

Old maps, and modern topographic maps can lead you to long forgotten cemeteries, and cellar holes (look for out of place ornamental shrubbery when walking in the woods).