Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Terrible stuff ... plastic

Matt221

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

I've never been to Bali, yet I am guilt tripped for all of the waste in the Pacific that has nothing to do with me. I use reusable bags and recycle everything I can. 

I never used plastic for food and always was a recycle nazi.

Edited by Piney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

I've never been to Bali, yet I am guilt tripped for all of the waste in the Pacific that has nothing to do with me. I use reusable bags and recycle everything I can. 

I don't think anyone's trying to lay a guilt trip on you personally, seanjo.

Whether its down to big business and politics or the human race as a whole, it's just another example of how we're crapping in our own home.

• Like 2

We must have equipment that would enable us to scoop it up, like netting schools of fish, fill the holds of huge ships and worry about what to do with it once we get it back to shore.  Does anyone know if anything is being done to collect the huge rafts of the stuff?  All I have heard about is litter picking on the shore line, by volunteers mainly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

We must have equipment that would enable us to scoop it up, like netting schools of fish, fill the holds of huge ships and worry about what to do with it once we get it back to shore.  Does anyone know if anything is being done to collect the huge rafts of the stuff?  All I have heard about is litter picking on the shore line, by volunteers mainly.

I saw something recently, based in the UK, where volunteers were using specially desgned buckets to trap the plastics. They were expecting to empty them every day, but they were filling up every hour.

Even on such a small scale, it's already a massive uphill battle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susanc241 said:

I think 1 issue is that the plastic breaks down into tiny balls and can't be caught up in a net. That being said we've been to the moon so I'm sure we have the technology to figure it out. I think plastic can be converted (back?) into oil but it has to be burned which is just as bad for the air. Not sure on that though. 

You know what I'd like to see is a water company which sells their water in actual glass bottles, Coca Cola still does this. I remember buying smart water and I never felt dumber in my life, there was zero advantage and it had the drawback of being in a square bottle so it wouldn't fit in my cup holder. If I saw water in a glass bottle then I would have no problem spending extra cash on it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, internetperson said:

You know what I'd like to see is a water company which sells their water in actual glass bottles, Coca Cola still does this. I remember buying smart water and I never felt dumber in my life, there was zero advantage and it had the drawback of being in a square bottle so it wouldn't fit in my cup holder. If I saw water in a glass bottle then I would have no problem spending extra cash on it. 

Why buy bottled water at all?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

Why buy bottled water at all?

I like to stay hydrated as I drive around. So it's handy. Also being in FL when it's hurricane season there's basically no way around it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, internetperson said:

I like to stay hydrated as I drive around. So it's handy. Also being in FL when it's hurricane season there's basically no way around it.

Yes but its the same water as in the water tap at home.

• Like 1

There is no tap water during the hurricane season.

EDIT: Well actually there is but I'm saying in the event of an actual hurricane that hits and floods. But when preparing everybody buys up all the water.

Edited by internetperson

17 hours ago, internetperson said:

I think 1 issue is that the plastic breaks down into tiny balls and can't be caught up in a net.

I appreciate a lot of plastic is already in pieces too small to attempt to retrieve, but if we can scoop up all the larger stuff then at least that won’t get a chance to degrade.  There are tons and tons of netable stuff out there.

2 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

I appreciate a lot of plastic is already in pieces too small to attempt to retrieve, but if we can scoop up all the larger stuff then at least that won’t get a chance to degrade.  There are tons and tons of netable stuff out there.

I agree 100%. 

On 07/03/2018 at 11:48 AM, Susanc241 said:

Every little will help, but the sheer scale is phenomenal:

Plastic waste in ocean to increase tenfold by 2020

Study estimates that 8 million tons of plastic waste are dumped in the ocean each year (2015 article)

I'm no expert, but the logistics of using nets to make an impact on what's already out there sounds impractical to say the least.

It's not just the big stuff either, it's stuff like Microbeads. When you look at the map of current Microbead legislation around the world, there simply isn't enough being done, or fast enough :hmm:

800px-Microbeads_legislation_world_map.s

Full ban; Manufacture and import ban; Regional manufacture and import ban

Plastic is the worst thing ever made.when I was a kid every thing was in glass and toothpaste was in metal tube