Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tiangong-1 space station to crash within weeks

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Tiangong-1 space station to crash within weeks

Would be pretty awesome to see this thing streaking through the upper atmosphere

• Like 7

Sometime between March 24 and April 19, it will hit somewhere in the world, and an hour later, will be ready to get hit again.

• Like 2

Reentry will take place anywhere between 43ºN and 43ºS (e.g. Spain, France, Portugal, Greece, etc.). Areas outside of these latitudes can be excluded. At no time will a precise time/location prediction from ESA be possible. This forecast will be updated approximately every week in January and February.

ESA`s TIANGONG-1 reentry updates

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, toast said:

So basically any where on its orbital path.

• Like 1

Spaceship bingo, what fun. Anyone who guesses where the biggest piece is going to hit or the closest wins. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

They can't be more precise.

What causes a spacecraft to drop out of orbit is drag with the very tenuous upper atmosphere. However the density of that upper atmosphere varies as a result of all sorts of things, such as temperature and solar activity. Further more the orientation of the spacecraft will have an effect on the drag it experiences. Since Tiangong-1 is no longer being controlled it's orientation at any given moment is effectively random.

Since it is impossible to know these conditions in advance it is impossible to predict exactly when Tiangong-1 will re-enter until just before it happens. Since you can't know when it will re-enter you can't know where it will land.

I wanna see the firework !!!! 

No one was ever injured? Hmm. How about those Chinese boosters which fell right upon some small town several weeks ago? Rumors were there were several people injured. At least some buildings were shattered and burned in the videos.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chaldon said:

Rumors were

Says all that needs to be said.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chaldon said:

No one was ever injured? Hmm. How about those Chinese boosters which fell right upon some small town several weeks ago? Rumors were there were several people injured. At least some buildings were shattered and burned in the videos.

I wouldn't be fretting too much. Even natural space debris such as meteorites rarely impact on towns or where a large population of people live. So as the article said, there is a very minute chance that anybody will be affected by any fallout of this space station. There's probably more chance of being struck by lightening than being clobbered by space junk. 

Also, according to the below article no injuries or casualties had been reported with that launch. But back in 1996 a Long March 3B veered off course causing some casualties and injuring people.

Unlike US launch centres where they are closer to coastal waters. This Chinese launch centre is located further inland, where there are more chances that rockets / or parts of them can fall on land. They actually have to calculate drop zones, and sometimes evacuate a town or area, which I certainly wasn't aware of until now. 

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a15072094/rocket-booster-falls-from-the-sky-and-explodes-near-chinese-town/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Astra. said:

But back in 1996 a Long March 3B veered off course causing some casualties and injuring people.

This is, of course a launch accident

Chaldon remains incorrect in his argument. He is failing to distinguish a launch incident and a re-entry incident. The fact remains that no one has ever been injured on the ground from te-entering space debris. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, internetperson said:

"Made in China." 

And your point is?

The last time a large space station made an uncontrolled re-entry was Skylab over Australia in 1979.

The last time a large space craft scattered debris over a populated area was the space shuttle Columbia in 2003.

In both cases, "Made in the USA".

• Like 5

With my luck, it will be a cloudy night... <_<

• Like 3

13 hours ago, internetperson said:

Just poking fun, friendly rivalry kinda thing.

Humor in these particular threads is VERBOTEN!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, and then said:

Humor in these particular threads is VERBOTEN!

Humour is fine. When you have to explain that it was humour instead of, say, racial stereotyping, it's a different matter.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, internetperson said:

"Made in China." 

Not bad for their first try tho. I am not sure it was their first try but i am also not sure if China was importing scientists from all around the world to work on their space program either... If it was Chinese and Chinese product only i admire their tries and they will have operating station in near future, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Humour is fine. When you have to explain that it was humour instead of, say, racial stereotyping, it's a different matter.

That hasn't been my experience, but whatever you say, Waspie.  The "racial stereotyping" is a ridiculous overreaction to an innocent comment, IMO.  The guy was just joking.

Edited by and then
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Not bad for their first try tho. I am not sure it was their first try but i am also not sure if China was importing scientists from all around the world to work on their space program either... If it was Chinese and Chinese product only i admire their tries and they will have operating station in near future, that's for sure.

They operated this one greatly with manned sciences experiments until is planned life was gone, without flaws. It's after his lifetime that they got some problems with lack of fuel and lost communication. It's was long due to fall but they lost the opportunity to bring it down controlled has planned at the start.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

They operated this one greatly with manned sciences experiments until is planned life was gone, without flaws. It's after his lifetime that they got some problems with lack of fuel and lost communication. It's was long due to fall but they lost the opportunity to bring it down controlled has planned at the start.

I didn't know this, thanks.  Do you know why they didn't de-orbit  it much earlier while they still had full control?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I didn't know this, thanks.  Do you know why they didn't de-orbit  it much earlier while they still had full control?

They extended by two years is lifetime to do more experiment and after that equipment started to fail... lost opportunity to make it fall gracefully but they used it longer.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

They extended by two years is lifetime to do more experiment and after that equipment started to fail... lost opportunity to make it fall gracefully but they used it longer.

So, all in all this wasn't total fail but very valuable 'experiment' for future uses of technology. That sounds reasonable.

• Like 1