Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Piney

Amelia Earharts Bones Found?

22 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

 
.ZZ.
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I hope they can get to the bottom of that mystery. I have watched all of the shows and read most of the search results, and after many false alarms it would be good to finally find out what happened to that brave, talented flyer.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I hope they can get to the bottom of that mystery. I have watched all of the shows and read most of the search results, and after many false alarms it would be good to finally find out what happened to that brave, talented flyer.

Women pilots are always better. Did you notice they are the ones who fly the A-wings in Star Wars?

Edited by Piney
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BorizBadinov

I thought the Nikumaroro theory sounded quite plausible with the number of clues found. I was thinking TIGHAR also found an aluminum piece thought to be a hatch plate.

Now if they find that pesky Electra, that will be the true nail in the coffin so to speak. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.ZZ.
23 minutes ago, Piney said:

Women pilots are always better. Did you notice they are the ones who fly the A-wings in Star Wars?

Yes, I did notice that are not hard to look at either. ;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
30 minutes ago, Piney said:

Women pilots are always better. Did you notice they are the ones who fly the A-wings in Star Wars?

Did you know when two women pilots are flying an aircraft the front of the airplane is no longer called a cockpit, its called the box office :lol:

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LucidElement

"A scientific study claims to shed new light on the decades-long mystery of what happened to Amelia Earhart.

Richard Jantz, an emeritus anthropology professor at the University of Tennessee, argues that bones discovered on the Pacific Island of Nikumaroro in 1940 were likely Earhart’s remains. The research contradicts a forensic analysis of the remains in 1941 that described the bones as belonging to a male. The bones, which were subsequently lost, continue to be a source of debate."

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/03/07/amelia-earhart-mystery-solved-scientist-99-percent-sure-bones-found-belong-to-aviator.html

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LucidElement

There will always be doubters dealing with this issue but at 99 percent sure when will it EVER be good enough to close this case? You think by now someone would be able to tell if bones belonged to male or female!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.ZZ.
1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Did you know when two women pilots are flying an aircraft the front of the airplane is no longer called a cockpit, its called the box office :lol:

Well, that is that. LOL I can't top it ;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Did you know when two women pilots are flying an aircraft the front of the airplane is no longer called a cockpit, its called the box office :lol:

My sisters would smack the crap outta you...:lol:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
.ZZ.
9 minutes ago, Piney said:

My sisters would smack the crap outta you...:lol:

My wife would say:

"I don't get it" :lol:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BorizBadinov
3 hours ago, LucidElement said:

There will always be doubters dealing with this issue but at 99 percent sure when will it EVER be good enough to close this case? You think by now someone would be able to tell if bones belonged to male or female!

Problem is the bones were lost or dna analysis could likely be done and all doubt removed of yes or no. With all the underwater discoveries nowadays I'm sure it wont be long  till the plane wreckage is found.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calibeliever
19 hours ago, LucidElement said:

There will always be doubters dealing with this issue but at 99 percent sure when will it EVER be good enough to close this case? You think by now someone would be able to tell if bones belonged to male or female!

This is deja vu all over again. TIGHAR is far from an independent, impartial research org. Their funding is questionable and their research is not-at-all unbiased. They have pushed the island theory for years so they aren't going to offer up anything that goes against it. Several years ago the bones were "lost" (no DNA possible) so everything is based on photographs and written forensics. 

Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight. She may as well have crashed there as anywhere, but these guys resurface every couple of years with some new headline to generate funding (do your own Google on TIGHAR, you'll find it illuminating) and we find ourselves right back where we started.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
21 hours ago, Piney said:

Women pilots are always better. Did you notice they are the ones who fly the A-wings in Star Wars?

I only knew one female pilot during my RAF days, She flew Sepecat Jaguars, and while we are on a detachment to Alaska, Eielson AFB, She bombed the wrong lake and got grounded for a week...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seanjo
48 minutes ago, Calibeliever said:

This is deja vu all over again. TIGHAR is far from an independent, impartial research org. Their funding is questionable and their research is not-at-all unbiased. They have pushed the island theory for years so they aren't going to offer up anything that goes against it. Several years ago the bones were "lost" (no DNA possible) so everything is based on photographs and written forensics. 

Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight. She may as well have crashed there as anywhere, but these guys resurface every couple of years with some new headline to generate funding (do your own Google on TIGHAR, you'll find it illuminating) and we find ourselves right back where we started.

Cheers

Maybe they are pushing it cause it's right and the most plausible of theories.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
susieice

The problem is the bones themselves aren't available for testing. The idea that there is a 99% chance they couldn't match anyone but her is a little iffy to me. In 1940, they were determined to be from a male. Science wasn't what it is now back then, so it's very possible they were wrong. Still, without genetic information, those bones could still be anyone's who's size was the same as hers, and that could be a lot of people.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calibeliever
2 hours ago, seanjo said:

Maybe they are pushing it cause it's right and the most plausible of theories.

 

That's an awfully big 'maybe'. Like I said, I don't have a dog in this fight and they may well be right, but we've heard from these folks before and they aren't really putting anything new forward. Their evidence is still weak and their motives are suspect. That's a far cry from 99% certain for me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calibeliever
1 hour ago, susieice said:

The problem is the bones themselves aren't available for testing. The idea that there is a 99% chance they couldn't match anyone but her is a little iffy to me. In 1940, they were determined to be from a male. Science wasn't what it is now back then, so it's very possible they were wrong. Still, without genetic information, those bones could still be anyone's who's size was the same as hers, and that could be a lot of people.

And to take it a step further, they are approximating her size from photographs using other objects for scale. There's a decent margin of error possible in that. It is too bad the bones have gone missing. With today's forensics and DNA with could get to that 99% right quick I suspect. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pallidin

University research professor:

"Fido, bring back Earharts bones..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merc14
On 3/7/2018 at 1:16 PM, BorizBadinov said:

I thought the Nikumaroro theory sounded quite plausible with the number of clues found. I was thinking TIGHAR also found an aluminum piece thought to be a hatch plate.

Now if they find that pesky Electra, that will be the true nail in the coffin so to speak. 

Maybe if this becomes the accepted analysis some billionaire will fund search of the ocean floor around the island.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nzo

I hope its her bones and its confirmed, just so that I don't have to hear about another Amilia Earhart story every 3 months like clockwork.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Merc14
16 minutes ago, Nzo said:

I hope its her bones and its confirmed, just so that I don't have to hear about another Amilia Earhart story every 3 months like clockwork.

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.