Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the Universe there for our enjoyment?

imrunningthismonkeyfarm

Im not sure but if there isnt anything other than intelligent life on Earth, wirh the billions of galaxies and trillions of stars and planets im finding it hard to understand scepitism. Cutting this down to save saying the same old, the Drake equasion is not accepted as evidence by sceptics. Some hardliners wont even agree on the possibility of any kind of life unless proven. is it there all for our telescopes? Is it there for our planned exploration, in which case eventually we will be the intelligent life on other worlds the sceptics dont say exist? 

Surely we shouldnt be looking for proof.. just looking. The Universe has to be teaming with life. it has to be.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, imrunningthismonkeyfarm said:

Im not sure but if there isnt anything other than intelligent life on Earth, wirh the billions of galaxies and trillions of stars and planets im finding it hard to understand scepitism. Cutting this down to save saying the same old, the Drake equasion is not accepted as evidence by sceptics. Some hardliners wont even agree on the possibility of any kind of life unless proven. is it there all for our telescopes? Is it there for our planned exploration, in which case eventually we will be the intelligent life on other worlds the sceptics dont say exist? 

Surely we shouldnt be looking for proof.. just looking. The Universe has to be teaming with life. it has to be.

I think you fundamentally (and probably quite willfully) do not understand the skeptical argument. As pointed out above, virtually no one is saying there is no life out there. They're merely saying there is no available evidence that strongly confirms extraterrestrial life. Maybe far away in time or space there is, but until it appears, it's not logical or scientific to act like there is. It's far less logical, scientific, and productive to assume there is ET life without reasonable evidence.

To me, it's all the UFO people who are constricting: their version of alien life is always deeply suspiciously anthropomorphic. Even if we ever do run into ETs, they may be so different from us in biology and communication, we simply wouldn't recognize them as life.

--Jaylemurph

Edited by jaylemurph
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

They're merely saying there is no available evidence that strongly confirms extraterrestrial life.

well not even that....personally for me i wouldn't say strongly but just the vastness of the universe confirms extraterrestrial life- it seems highly unlikely that we're the only ones around.

what i'm TRULY skeptical of is:

life from other planets here on earth- & this is only going by the feeble evidence presented in the past 80+ years of 'modern' ufology that tries desperately to convince me otherwise ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dejarma said:

well not even that....personally for me i wouldn't say strongly but just the vastness of the universe confirms extraterrestrial life- it seems highly unlikely that we're the only ones around.

Well... most of that vastness is truly empty space and nihil ex nihilio fiat, so merely saying the universe is quite large in no way fundamentally connects the fact that life /must/ be there.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Well... most of that vastness is truly empty space and nihil ex nihilio fiat, so merely saying the universe is quite large in no way fundamentally connects the fact that life /must/ be there.

--Jaylemurph

who's talking facts here? yeah loads of empty space, you're correct= also loads of planets

edit to add:

i love your use of the word: 'quite';)

Edited by Dejarma
edit to add
  • Like 2

It would simply be sad if there were no other life out there. Incredibly and equally inconceivably fascinating, but sad. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

Incredibly and equally inconceivably fascinating

even more so, Tim i feel;)

could you imagine in 10/100 thousand years time having the tech to send a probe to every planet in the universe only for it to come back saying:

sorry guys= you're the only ones around! for me personally (MY PERSONAL OPINION) i find that highly unlikely bordering on impossible...

but hey, what do i know- in fact what does anyone 'know' when you think about it;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

The universe is so vast and includes so much stuff thinking the universe is made for our enjoyment  would take an ego the size of Trump's.   

It was tounge in cheek, trying to add a bit of humor to the debate.

4 hours ago, Dejarma said:

name a known skeptic in here who believes there's no intelligent life elsewhere in the universe...........

Yes i agree as of late the sceptics have concentrated on earth visitations/abductions etc but every idea put forward by those who agree with the ancient aliens get together are considered out of their minds to put it mildly. And i have personally had arguments on here with people who say until its proven theres no life out there a few years back if you care to search. my phones knackered im not looking. they are or were here. Id honestly like everyone to check tgeir history. youll be suprised how many have changed their views if only slightly.

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

what i'm TRULY skeptical of is:

life from other planets here on earth- & this is only going by the feeble evidence presented in the past 80+ years of 'modern' ufology that tries desperately to convince me otherwise ;)

Well i dont believe in god but something huge happened in the past something so important that people spoke of it ever since. And this extremely rare but marvelous event was hijacked by religion, greed and power. distorted from its glorious origin. A visitation from the gods.. aliens.

Or you could believe there was a booming voice from the heavens and god apeared with his angels. which is exactly the same as aliens landing to me.

3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

It has to be vastly bigger than the contents it holds and we know how much it holds so the answers the same. trillions upon trillions of empty planets yh? Just us yh?

51 minutes ago, imrunningthismonkeyfarm said:

It has to be vastly bigger than the contents it holds and we know how much it holds so the answers the same. trillions upon trillions of empty planets yh? Just us yh?

As others have said though, who says there is no life? Stephen Hawking even says that the statistics indicate life is likely to exist, the universe is just so big that we don't even know where to start looking. 

People like Michio Kaku are just offering zealous ponderings, I really doubt we will contact life in the next 30 years. I personally think we will make it to Alpha Centauri before we will contact other life forms. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, imrunningthismonkeyfarm said:

Yes i agree as of late the sceptics have concentrated on earth visitations/abductions etc but every idea put forward by those who agree with the ancient aliens get together are considered out of their minds to put it mildly. And i have personally had arguments on here with people who say until its proven theres no life out there a few years back if you care to search. my phones knackered im not looking. they are or were here. Id honestly like everyone to check tgeir history. youll be suprised how many have changed their views if only slightly.

Ancient Aliens is not based in fact, it's based in imagination so it's little wonder it gets no credibility. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, OverSword said:

The universe is here for our education.

And also for our enjoyment and wonder.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, imrunningthismonkeyfarm said:

I've checked my history, and ... au contraire.  You made the claim, yet everyone posting here so far has denied it.  I think it's time you dropped the 'my phone is knackered' excuse (you seem to be able to post, and change your name, quite ok....?) so how's about you cite some links (go visit your nearest library and use one of their free computers if your phone really is broke) and then we can look at the context.

I'll tell you what I DO see frequently (indeed, I can give a very recent example but would rather not embarrass the person further...) is where an alienz-are-here believer attacks a skeptic by changing the goalposts from talking about alien UFO's visiting earth, to implying that the skeptic is denying that aliens might exist anywhere.  I've not seen a single person here holding that view.  Ever.  Denying that they have visited earth is a LOT different to denying they might exist full stop.

So, methinks you are misremembering .... perhaps with an agenda?  Feel fee to make a fool of me with an example, and that applies to anyone else here too.....

As for me, my wild-assed guess is that basic alien life (as in bacterial/microbial/fungal/etc) is reasonably common - we may find some in our solar system.  More advanced life, very rare.  Intelligent life, very, very rare.  Intelligent / technological life, very, very, very rare.  Star travelers... maybe one every thousand/milllion/? galaxies....  Like I said - wild guesses, virtually worthless...

Edited by ChrLzs
spelun erir
  • Like 2

What does any of this have to do with our enjoyment?

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Well, there's some of the beautiful images of deeper space and planets that NASA share with us, or just looking through a telescope to observe the moon and stars at night. I mean no offence to the OP, but I actually think he could have worded his topic better...if that's what you mean Rose.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

My excuse is that it's the OP driving the derailment, and I don't like history (well, UM's history) being misrepresented...  :D  

Anyway, I think the Universe just exists.  And we just happen to be literate enough to be able to enjoy that which we can observe, especially as we come to understand it better..

• Like 3

Well, it just gives this impression as if it's all for the benefit of humanity...like we're the special creatures it was all meant for.

If people are skeptical, then they probably don't think that. 

Besides, nature doesn't seem to discriminate.

It will friggin' kill everything. 

• Like 5

Idk, maybe it's just me. But I actually think that this thread is a bit higgledy-piggledy because Daffy wasn't really clear enough in the OP when he kicked this thread off, as to what basic /or at least partly consistent direction that he wanted it to go. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the OP wanted this to be about aliens, but we're still on about the title.

• Like 1