Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Movies you hate but everybody else loves?

Galactic Goatman

Are there any movies that everybody likes but you don’t? This isn’t  place to bash people for their opinions, just let us know if you have some movies you don’t like. Sorta an inversion Of then ‘movies you like but everybody else hates’ thread. 

Some of mine:

Inside Out

Pacific Rim

• Like 1

Fight Club (my most hated movie and book of all time)
The Godfather
Goodfellas
Reservoir Dogs
Silence of the Lambs
Casablanca
Frozen
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

That's all I can think of right now.

• Like 3

I've got to say, I don't particularly hate any movies. It's too strong a word.

There are movies others seem to love, that I have plenty of criticsm for, but that's about as far as it goes.

An example would be No Country for Old Men. It has good points, such as Javier Bardem's menacing villain, but it also has bad points, such as the ridiculous end to Josh Brolin's character. Overrated in my opinion.

Another example would be Prometheus. Visually stunning, but the script they foisted on some decent acting talent was a travesty. It's hard to believe it was directed by Ridley Scott, the genius behind films such as The Martian, Gladiator, Blade Runner and Alien.

Of recent films, I'd say Get Out is overrated. It's not a bad film by any means, probably even slightly above average compared to similar films. The way people are lavishing it with praise, and the way it was touted for an Oscar, is undoubtedly down to the "right on" racial element though.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal taste. As can be seen with Orphalesion's list above... The Godfather, Goodfellas, The Silence of the Lambs... really? :o

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

The Godfather, Goodfellas, The Silence of the Lambs... really? :o

I'm surprised that those are the only ones you are surprised about, hahahah.

Well I don't like things about the mob or serial killers. So there's nothing in those movies I could possibly enjoy...

Imean don't get me wrong, I can tell that some of the movies I named are well done in one way or the other (well written, well directed and/or well acted etc) but....if a work of fiction holds no elements I find personally interesting and/or includes a bunch of elements I find unappealing, then I'm not gonna like it, no matter the quality. 

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

Happy Gilmore. :angry:

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Ever read the book?

Only one of three that I laughed out loud reading it.

Edit: As usual the movie didn't do it justice but I was surprised at the number of people who never read the book, but enjoyed the movie.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

Off the top of my head - The Da Vinci Code. I had friends that liked the film and raved on about it. I ended up walking out of the cinema before it was finished. For my taste I found it slow and rather boring.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Days of Thunder with Tom Cruise.

Movie about stock car racing. He thought he was SO cool! I about puked.

Bought a ticket, watched about 15 minutes of it and walked out!

• Like 3

I must admit that the last movie I saw in a theater was "Nightmare Before Christmas" in 1993(?).

If I had to pay the going rate at a 'Moving Picture Show' these days and it wasn't great?... I'd be very p***y too.

I'm quite happy to pay $5 a few months later and watch it at my leisure. I also got to see some really good films I'd never of seen otherwise.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

What did you think of Rush, or did you see it?

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

What did you think of Rush, or did you see it?

Loved it!

The casting was perfect with great racing!

5 star all the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

Ever read the book?

Only one of three that I laughed out loud reading it.

Nothing written by Hunter as Thompson could ever make me smile, let alone laugh. Sorry. ;) Just not my kinda stuff, not my kinda humor.

Also some more I forgot earlier:

Pulp Fiction

300 (not even the time period can make that palatable for me)

Leon the Professional.

And I'm not sure anymore whether Malificent (that awful movie with Angelina Jolie) was popular, But in any case it was awful (you can't just turn one of the most powerful and apologetically nasty villains in the Disney Canon into a whimpering victim<_<)

Edited by Orphalesion

45 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Yeah, that wasn't my cup of tea either. Way over the top. If memory serves right I think that was also the movie set where Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman 'got together' in real life. In fact, I think he helped launch her career by doing that film...which IMO she played a fairly weak roll....ugh! only in Hollywood. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Yeah, that wasn't my cup of tea either. Way over the top. If memory serves right I think that was also the movie set where Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman 'got together' in real life. In fact, I think he helped launch her career by doing that film...which IMO she played a fairly weak roll....ugh! only in Hollywood. 

I love Nicole.

I'm sure you've seen Eyes Wide Shut ;)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I must admit that the last movie I saw in a theater was "Nightmare Before Christmas" in 1993(?).

If I had to pay the going rate at a 'Moving Picture Show' these days and it wasn't great?... I'd be very p***y too.

I'm quite happy to pay $5 a few months later and watch it at my leisure. I also got to see some really good films I'd never of seen otherwise.

Yes, there is nothing more annoying that paying good money to see a film that you feel may have some real substance. Only to walk out later thinking "ugh! what a 'flop' that was"..and forgetting about it quickly. The best movies are the ones that you walk out of the cinema thinking "wow! what a great film"...and you can't stop talking about it for ages. It seems that truly good movies that they are putting out these days are becoming rare. 

• Like 3

Egads where the hell do I begin.... Avatar, I got yanked out hard of that movie (smurfs meets dances with wolves) when dude A said they needed the giganto smurfs gone so they could get unobtanium. Okay you damn turd burglers, you spent all this money to do epic CGI and create this fantastic world, and the best that the script writers could do was “unobtanium”?    (Okay breath, dom’t stroke out)

Freddy got fingered was another my friends all raved about I didn’t like

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

I love Nicole.

I'm sure you've seen Eyes Wide Shut ;)

Yes she's a fine actress in her own right. Hmm, yes I did see that film...rather raunchy ;).. 

• Like 1

I was thinking...where are my posts?

And then I remembered that I posted on the movies you love and everyone else hates thread.

I guess I hate a lot of boring dramas and rom coms that other people love.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I was thinking...where are my posts?

And then I remembered that I posted on the movies you love and everyone else hates thread.

I guess I hate a lot of boring dramas and rom coms that other people love.

Oh, so there's an opposite thread ?...well, it's no wonder you got confused :D..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree on Avatar.

And Prometheus.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

I thought this was the other thread as well, had to double read it.

other contenders would include anything with Leanardo Dicrappio (except who’s eating gilbert grape, not a good movie by any means but the closest character he played to real life)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, newbloodmoon said:

Egads where the hell do I begin.... Avatar, I got yanked out hard of that movie (smurfs meets dances with wolves) when dude A said they needed the giganto smurfs gone so they could get unobtanium. Okay you damn turd burglers, you spent all this money to do epic CGI and create this fantastic world, and the best that the script writers could do was “unobtanium”?    (Okay breath, dom’t stroke out)

Freddy got fingered was another my friends all raved about I didn’t like

In Transformers AOE they said the Cybertronians were made of, I kid you not, ‘Transformium’. It’s  even worse when the ‘scientist’ names it and he sounds like it’s the coolest sounding name ever. AOE is easily the worst of the series. 

• Like 1

I forgot about Transformium, probably due to transformers burnout.

• Like 1

The Bayformers films, and I am literally the original target audience for the toys from the 80s. They were dire. Utterly utterly irredeemably dire. 

• Like 1