Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amazon Echo users plagued by creepy laugh

UM-Bot

I heard a recording of the Alexa laughter over Amazon Echo devices. It doesn't sound particularly 'creepy' or sinister to me. It must be the context; occurring unexpectedly in one's home. It's presumably some sort of glitch in the voice recognition software, as Amazon has said, or perhaps, a hacker's prank. At the bottom of the list of possibilities: artificial intelligence is becoming self aware, having a will of its own, and that it finds human beings amusing!;) 

• Like 5

We are also changing Alexa's response from simply laughter to 'Sure, I can laugh' followed by laughter.

"Alexa, can you speak British English?"

• Like 2

I think, if I am lying in bed in the dead of night probably in light sleep, and through the pitch black, I hear a voice laughing - I am pretty sure it would scare the life of me - and the last thing I would probably think of, would be Alexa as the culprit.

I'd probably be on here in the para normal threads pleading first hand knowledge of the unexplained and looking for help to deal with the bloody thing.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I think, if I am lying in bed in the dead of night probably in light sleep, and through the pitch black, I hear a voice laughing - I am pretty sure it would scare the life of me - and the last thing I would probably think of, would be Alexa as the culprit.

I'd probably be on here in the para normal threads pleading first hand knowledge of the unexplained and looking for help to deal with the bloody thing.

Haha, so true.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

We'd have your back Ray, no worries LMAO. Bwahahaha

it is GHOSTS sneaking over and EVP to Alexa "Alexa, laugh" 

Edited by Not A Rockstar
ghost joke
  • Like 4

Doesn't sound particularly creepy, but yeah... in the right context I guess...

Still, it could be worse...

:w00t:

• Like 3

If I heard that second one as I was waking up in a dark room, there'd be trouble...

• Like 3

Wouldn't have one in my home anyways. The laugh doesn't  really sound creepy, it's just the thought of the thing going off in the middle of the night.Kind of like having toys with batteries going off by themselves at night.  One night at TJMAXX working in the toy area, I heard one of the toys go off. No one was near it. At my store we once in a great while have something  happen. The place  is haunted, but nothing scary or frighting ,and it doesn't happen everyday. Nothing has really happend there in a long time. Since the area was woods and farm land, no surprise about what we have had happen. The Olympia Hills Golf Course has found  native american artifacts like  arrowheads when they were building it. Also, far down the IH35 acess road,  off  to the right, is an old stage stop from the 1800s. They have turned it into a museum and  next to it is a visitor center.

• Like 2

The odd thing about the Alexa laughter is that it doesn't seem to resemble Alexa's normal voice. The laughter sounds like a small (boy) child. The way this laughter sometimes comes up at random, when Alexa hasn't been spoken to, or after a command has been given, but not executed, tend to deepen the mystery.

How, for example, could a failure of the A.I. programming to correctly interpret a voice command trigger the  laugh? Isn't it supposed to simply say that it didn't understand, in those circumstances? That's what I've seen in video demonstrations of Alexa.   

Edited by bison
increased accuracy of information
  • Like 1

I firmly believe its fake. there are ton of videos how alexa or google are doing some weird **** that are not possible and they are all fake. What is not fake is alexa triggering somehow on it own and saying I don't know that or other something.

I would guess is it doing something the creators don't want you to know about and using the laugh as a mask to hide it. 

Uploading  data, images , video, or accessing your camera, your mic etc...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, and then said:

I don't have to pay for things that will ridicule me.  I have an abundance of that right here at UM!  :w00t:

Yep. All you have to say is you experienced something paranormal and the floodgates open.:alien:

• Like 2

Alexia laughing at all the private information it has on you... I would never have one of these.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, UFOwatcher said:

Alexia laughing at all the private information it has on you... I would never have one of these.

You beat me to it!

I was about to say...  It is Alexa laughing at all the advertising revenue generated by your searches and requests.

• Like 1

if I were AI I would be laughing at the humans too. Careful UM-bot could be the next one to start laughing. 

• Like 1

Just wondering if the phrase "Thats a laugh" might be the culprit in a few of these. It's pretty close to  Alexa, laugh.  We have Google Home and the darn thing won't work for till I put my teeth in. I feel like Bawwy trying to find a westowant with Siri. " I'm sorry, but there are no recipes for shoop." 

Hank

• Like 2

Its appalling how many millions of people are willing to pay 100 bucks for a device thats broadcasting every spoken word in its proximity, which is always the most privat place in life, to untouchable remote servers for the reason of analysis to the benefit of third party stakeholders profit maximization interests.

• Like 2