Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Play FLV on Android Phone?

acute

Can someone please tell me how to play FLV videos on my Android Phone? I have put them on the SD Card ok, but I can't get them to play.
The built-in video player doesn't support the FLV format.

I installed XPlayer (which allegedly plays FLV) but it flashed them on & off.
VLC (which plays the same FLV's on my laptop) locks up when I click on the sub-folder I created, and it just sits there forever saying "Loading".

Gee, Acute, I honestly don't know.

Maybe google something like "VLC won't load" or "FLV on Android?" or similar and see if there is a forum with this issue discussed? Perhaps another player might work better.

I don't have an Android to help you troubleshoot this with :/

• Like 1

Love to help if I could. :unsure: 

• Like 1

Can't offer much help either. I don't have an Android phone any more :hmm:

I'd have said VLC, as it plays just about everything on a PC, including flv, region-locked DVD, etc.

There are other apps, including the appropriately named FLV player, but whether they work or not, I can't say.

Edit: Actually, this may help:

Best 9 FLV Player Apps for Playing FLV Video on Android

It also suggests some alternatives, such as flv conversion to formats natively supported by Android.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 2

I have taken your advice, LV.  I am converting them to MP4 using Movavi Video Suite.

I'm using the 'High' profile, then I will see if the integral player in Android likes them or not.

:tu:

• Like 1

Sometimes its not the player but the FLV file ... it is notoriously wonky and most times a security concern

~

• Like 2

VLC is the best option. FLV is basically an Adobe Flash Player file. This media player can easily play them on all platform. It should work on your android phone/tablet as well. Why it doesn't in your specific case, is what should be investigated.

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Like 2

VLC plays some of the the FLV files, but doesn't even recognize the others as videos!

I am in the middle of converting them all to MP4.  That should be 'problem solved'.

1 minute ago, acute said:

VLC plays some of the the FLV files, but doesn't even recognize the others as videos!

I am in the middle of converting them all to MP4.  That should be 'problem solved'.

If the files were a problem in the first place, converting them would just give you the same problems but in a different format ...

A couple of the Media apps will play most of them, but I haven't found one that plays them all.

9 minutes ago, third_eye said:

If the files were a problem in the first place, converting them would just give you the same problems but in a different format ...

I have no problems playing all of them on my laptop.

There must be various types of FLV.

Edited by acute

Just now, acute said:

I have no problems with playing them all on my laptop using Nero Showtime, but Nero seems to play things that others can't (such as DVD's with a video.rm folder).

video.rm is a RealMedia  format file, I'm beginning to think that is more of a Codec / Decoder / Filter problem.

Not many new Media Players ever bother with RealMedia much anymore ... or FLV too for that matter, so I believe its a matter of PlugIns for the VLF Player, the most basic plays mostly what is popular now, mainly the MP4, MKV and DIVx

Stick with one first, then whatever you decide to stick with, try to solve the problems specific to that player and the files in question. Then if required, add another player for the heavy stuff. Some programs can do a lot but not very well, some programs can do just a little but very reliably and well ... you just have to find what suits you best. I don't care very much for FLV or MP4 to tell the truth.

No point having a lot of Media Players and each having its own specific set of problems to solve.

I use VLC and the KLite MPC ... one for Films and one for CGI Animation heavy movies, different settings so I don;t have to mess with the Video settings (contrast brightness color etc) all the time.

For Audio I'm still using Winamp ... the Database Management is what I'm used to and I like it ... :lol:

~

• Like 2

@acute, @third_eye is correct with the above post.

It’s all to do with codecs; how the media is encoded and decoded. 

So for your Android device, just make sure you download media with supported codecs, or convert them to a supported format. 

I’ve only had PC experience with this so I can’t offer any specific advice for Android. 

• Like 2

The inbuilt Android player seems happy with my conversions, but I'm only about a quarter of the way through!  I feel sorry for my poor laptop. :lol:

I got some of them using RealPlayer, and the rest with another YouTube downloader. They are obviously different, but my Movavi converter likes them all (except for one .amv video), so I am predicting success. :tu:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, acute said:

Winamp? That's a blast from the past! 

I miss my Sonique Media Player too ...

~

sonique.jpg

~

:lol:

Prettiest damn Media Player on the Planet then ... alas ... now I only have Winamp to ease my pain ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

I miss my Sonique Media Player too ...

~

sonique.jpg

~

:lol:

Prettiest damn Media Player on the Planet then ... alas ... now I only have Winamp to ease my pain ...

Now, that is a blast from the past! :tu:

I seem to remember it having plenty of weird and wonderful shaped skins, while Winamp was restricted to the rectangles.

Ah, the good old days where most non-geeks hadn't even heard of MP3! :lol:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, third_eye said:

Sometimes its not the player but the FLV file ... it is notoriously wonky and most times a security concern

~

I have to say, I rarely see flv files these days.

Methinks acute needs to stop trying to watch dodgy Naughties adult entertainment files on his phone! :w00t:

;)

• Like 2