Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump will meet with Kim Jong Un

F3SS

20 minutes ago, OverSword said:

ttps://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/24/613962300/north-korea-threatens-to-scuttle-summit-saying-it-wont-beg-the-u-s-for-dialogue\

They didn't actually threaten the US with nukes this time. To me it looks nothing more than trying to look big in front of their own people; political posturing. It also wasn't Kim, so no different than Bolton's own threats to NK over the past few weeks.

However, Trump in that letter actually did threaten NK with nukes. 

For the record, if they had threatened the US unambiguously with nukes, especially if it came from Kim, I was all ready to agree with Trump's decision, for obvious reasons. I think it's just as likely that that statement is being used as an excuse because it's obvious that they'll never give up their arsenal. A way to save face.

Here's hoping that the normalisation of relations with the South still progresses. Peace between those two countries would be a wonderful thing for me to see.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

No it won't.  I think there may be one or two other countries that are a little uncomfortable with NK. ;)

They'll be less so if NK truly make steps towards not being blustering *******s. Peace with SK would signify that they are doing so.

Time, as always, will tell.

38 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

They didn't actually threaten the US with nukes this time. To me it looks nothing more than trying to look big in front of their own people; political posturing. It also wasn't Kim, so no different than Bolton's own threats to NK over the past few weeks.

However, Trump in that letter actually did threaten NK with nukes. 

For the record, if they had threatened the US unambiguously with nukes, especially if it came from Kim, I was all ready to agree with Trump's decision, for obvious reasons. I think it's just as likely that that statement is being used as an excuse because it's obvious that they'll never give up their arsenal. A way to save face.

Here's hoping that the normalisation of relations with the South still progresses. Peace between those two countries would be a wonderful thing for me to see.

Trump didn't threaten anyone, he prayed to God that we would never have to use our nukes.  I'm not familiar with any threats from Bolton to NK, can you quote him?

Edit: I've looked at several articles and while it's clear NK doesn't like Bolton I could not find one threatening quote attributed to Bolton.  As a matter of fact the only threats from Bolton were concerning European countries and Iranian sanctions.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

They'll be less so if NK truly make steps towards not being blustering *******s. Peace with SK would signify that they are doing so.

Time, as always, will tell.

I think the South is smart enough not to trust the North further than they can spit.  Also I don't see the US military leaving the DMZ unattended anytime soon.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

What's with all the typos in that letter? :huh:

Can't reach the keys with those fingers :whistle:

Anyway this recent development is about as unexpected as they come. Got to be honest though, I thought it would be the US that pushed NK out of the talks not the other way around. 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Trump didn't threaten anyone, he prayed to God that we would never have to use our nukes.  I'm not familiar with any threats from Bolton to NK, can you quote him?

Edit: I've looked at several articles and while it's clear NK doesn't like Bolton I could not find one threatening quote attributed to Bolton.  As a matter of fact the only threats from Bolton were concerning European countries and Iranian sanctions.

He said they were using the Libya model for NK. The NKs have been complaining about him for weeks. He's likely the real reason it all turned to ****.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

He said they were using the Libya model for NK. The NKs have been complaining about him for weeks. He's likely the real reason it all turned to ****.

Where is the link to show that?

And if you were not spending so much time & effort cheerleading for the N'orks, you might have noticed all the vile crap that they have been spewing. That is actually what lead to this.

Ah, but don't bother, we know; one standard for Trump, and totally different standard for everyone else on the Planet. 

Even a country that makes the Third Reich look like a liberal & open society.

Sink any lower and you will be able to tell us what Whale dung looks like, from underneath! :ph34r:

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yes, Libya (allegedly) gave up all of it's WMD's during GWB's administration of which Bolton was a member.  So what are you saying?

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yes, Libya (allegedly) gave up all of it's WMD's during GWB's administration of which Bolton was a member.  So what are you saying?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

We demanded Libya give up their Nuclear weapons or else we'll go in and topple them. They did give up their nukes, and we came in and toppled them anyway.

So when John Bolton comes out talking about using the 'Libya model', he's clearly telling NK that if they lay down their nukes or else, we'll just topple them anyway.

It's like a policeman saying "drop your weapon" and when they drop it he shoots them dead anyway. NK saw what we did with Libya, and knows we'd do it to him too.

Edited by Aquila King
typos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

A couple of things -

Even the semi-comic you get your news from included "The Libya model of 2003=2004"

You know, when Bush was President and Bolton was involved.

What happened then was Libya gave up it's nuclear stuff and everything was hunky dory.

Flash forward 10 years to the Obama/Clinton era, and Libya's Govt was violently overthrown with Western help because Khaddaffi was demanding payment in Gold for his Oil.

See the difference? 

Different decade, different regimes in the White House, and totally different attitude & motives across the board.

So Bolton was commenting on the success of de-nuclearization what happened when he was part of the Govt, not the disasters of the Obama years.

The only thing Bolton did wrong was saying something that a team of outhouse lawyers could pick at. 

Edited by AnchorSteam
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

A couple of things -

Even the semi-comic you get your news from included "The Libya model of 2003=2004"

You know, when Bush was President and Bolton was involved.

What happened then was Libya gave up it's nuclear stuff and everything was hunky dory.

Flash forward 10 years to the Obama/Clinton era, and Libya's Govt was violently overthrown with Western help because Khaddaffi was demanding payment in Gold for his Oil.

See the difference? 

Different decade, different regimes in the White House, and totally different attitude & motives across the board.

So Bolton was commenting on the success of de-nuclearization what happened when he was part of the Govt, not the disasters of the Obama years.

The only thing Bolton did wrong was saying something that a team of outhouse lawyers could pick at. 

It's the same country and the same foreign policy. Dems and Reps may differ when it comes to internal politics, but, with very few exceptions, their foreign policy is identical. It has been since WW2. 

Other countries in the world don't even bother hoping that one regime will be different from the other. Your foreign policy is your foreign policy. So when Kim hears Bolton talking about Libya, it was only ever going to be taken one way.

You actually think Obama's actions there were worse? Bush decimated the ME. All Obama did was continue the destruction. I see no difference, really, that would distinguish either one as worse or better. It's fascinating to me that, due to the hatred the left and right have for each other in your country, you do. Your calling out a Democrat President for doing things the Republican President before him also did, as though it's something new. 

• Like 3

Libyan nuclear model had nothing to with events that happened 10 years later,  for anyone who can think that is,  thou it sounds funny when oliver says it. who cares what really happened, right?

as long as kim is not selling oil for anything but dollars, he is safe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yeah, that wasn't any administration of which Bolton was a member was it?  And the overthrow of the Libyan regime had as much or more to do with France and England than the USA.  But yeah, mentioning Libya as a model was not a great idea, but at the time it happened was considered a great victory towards peace.  Who could guess that Obama and Clinton would undermine America's hard work?  Oh yeah, everyone that's not a lefty.

3 hours ago, aztek said:

lol, i like john Oliver, he is funny and right most of the time, as he is in this case,

He was wrong about Hillary for an entire two years before the election.  I think he's just a propaganda tool to tell stupid millennials what to think.

• Like 1

Just now, OverSword said:

He was wrong about Hillary for an entire two years before the election.  I think he's just a propaganda tool to tell stupid millennials what to think.

he was, in her case,  and yes i think he maybe something like that, but he is right lots of times as well

6 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Probably continue peace talks with the South, I'd think. They were brokered by China, so the US has nothing to do with them anyway.

If they do make a lasting peace, then it's going to be very difficult for the US to have continued support for the NK sanctions.

Nothing to do with them????    LMAO.   Thanks for posting that ridiculous statement, it seals the deal.  Wow, are you sure you aren't Ninjadude? 

• Haha 1

Seems like something happened with Kim's last meeting in China with China's president and other Chinese officials to cause him to snap-back into being the Kim we all hate and despise.

4 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Nothing to do with them????    LMAO.   Thanks for posting that ridiculous statement, it seals the deal.  Wow, are you sure you aren't Ninjadude? 

Are you able to offer evidence of what part they actually played in the mediation between China and the Koreas? They weren't there as far as I know. I've seen Trump claim that it was down to him, and he managed to wrangle a 'he helped' from SK, but NK have stated that he had nothing to do with it and there has been nothing shown that supports his claim. 

Unless you think his Tweets somehow convinced Kim to start the peace process?

This is just hilarious: Trump cancels summit, due to NK stiffing the delegation in Singapore and threatening nuclear war (yet again). But, low and behold Kimmy now wants to still have the meeting. Let the ‘Art of the Deal’ commence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2018 at 12:22 PM, bison said:

U.S. and other western forces were bombing Libya, and generally aiding the anti-government rebels.

The U.S. bombed no one in Libya.