Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump will meet with Kim Jong Un

F3SS

28 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

It'd be hilarious if it weren't for the fact that it's real life.

Still hard to wrap my mind around that... :blink:

Reagan shook Russia's leaders hand. 

Diplomacy

27 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Reagan shook Russia's leaders hand. 

Diplomacy

EllJay was discussing the way in which Trump shakes his hand, not the fact that he shook it at all.

Great Dennis Rodman interview - wow what a guy!

Not afraid to show his emotions and how pleased he is that Trump is taking the first diplomatic step to meet with Kim Jong Un
that can only be a good development for the North Korean people - (and South Korea and the world)    

Edited by bee
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I see America's Leader says he feels a great bond with North Korea's Kim Jong-Un. No doubt North Korea's Kim Jong-Un' has been offering him lots of tips about how to deal with those who disagree with him. Fire them from cannons, for instance. :yes: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Dennis Rodman's diplomatic legacy already exceeds that of the previous POTUS.

PR55BZ.gif

• Like 1

Well that was interesting - not so much the written document which had no comments on complete verifiable and irreversible denuclearization, but did restate Kim's earlier commitment to denuclearization of both North and south Korea

What was more interesting is that according to Trump the military exercises are indeed proactive and will be stopped, that S Korea and Japan will pay for denuclearization, that china is breaking sanctions buts thats OK. 

Also KIM is breaking up a massive missile site, which will have what impact on their overall ability?

Trump said he didn't need any detailed preparation for this meeting - now we know why. It was simply a meet and greet. 

One wonders - what did the aides on both sides did for the last three months - organise the decor.

Don't get me wrong it is an important 1st step, hopefully there will be more, but that is all it is and probably all it was ever intended to be. 

ETA - Although judging by S Korea reaction ending Military Exercises was not expected.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bee said:

Great Dennis Rodman interview - wow what a guy!

Not afraid to show his emotions and how pleased he is that Trump is taking the first diplomatic step to meet with Kim Jong Un
that can only be a good development for the North Korean people - (and South Korea and the world)    

Not trying to take away from  Rodman's  endeavor which he embarked  on  years ago    but President Trump stated that because of what happened to Otto Warmbier  is why this meeting with North Korea happened.  

“Otto did not die in vain,” Trump said as he discussed North Korea’s human rights record.

President Trump said Tuesday after his historic summit with North Korea dictator Kim Jong Un that the meeting between the two leaders may not have happened if not for the death of Otto Warmbier.

Trump said during the news conference that the remains of Americans who died during the Korean War will also be brought home. He said it was a last minute deal and expected more than 6,000 Americans’ remains to be brought back to the U.S.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/12/trump-kim-summit-predicated-on-death-american-otto-warmbier-president-says.html

I'm glad to see that the ice is finally broken between Trump and little rocket man. I'm swaying towards the positive...so one day at a time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Trump said he didn't need any detailed preparation for this meeting - now we know why. It was simply a meet and greet. 

One wonders - what did the aides on both sides did for the last three months - organise the decor.

Don't get me wrong it is an important 1st step, hopefully there will be more, but that is all it is and probably all it was ever intended to be. 

ETA - Although judging by S Korea reaction ending Military Exercises was not expected.

Even though   North Korea signed with President Trump to  completely denuclearize you call it  a simple meet & greet. 

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the US possesses the technical expertise needed to dismantle North Korea's weapons program. At about 9 min in Mike Pompeo corrects media for suggesting lies about President Trump in stating that he  was not prepared when it is just the exact opposite  he was well prepared to deliver.

Edited by Ellapennella

No surprise that we have boos and hisses from the usual suspects but moving on from them I think this was a very positive thing and moving in the right direction for the first time in decades.  No reasonable person expected any more than what we got and I am sure the NK's will press to test as is their way but as long as we maintain a hard line something real could happen in the future.  In the meantime, at least we don't have missiles flying over Japan and SK and while I don't Trust NK at all, you take what you can when dealing with an outlaw regime.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

No surprise that we have boos and hisses from the usual suspects but moving on from them I think this was a very positive thing and moving in the right direction for the first time in decades.  No reasonable person expected any more than what we got and I am sure the NK's will press to test as is their way but as long as we maintain a hard line something real could happen in the future.  In the meantime, at least we don't have missiles flying over Japan and SK and while I don't Trust NK at all, you take what you can when dealing with an outlaw regime.   

Yeah   it's not  wise for anyone to trust North Korea   but I trust our  President and the presidential cabinet Trump has selected to  surround himself with. 

Two things about this.  One, what was signed yesterday is not in any way binding and worth as much as what Obama signed with the Iranians, although the Iranians didn't even sign Obama's "agreement".   Two, I think Trump may have glad-handed and complimented Lil-Kim a bit too much.  It seems that whenever you play nice with this brutal dictator you get backlash so hopefully we don'ty have to go backwards again in order to go forwards but I'll trust Trump's instincts as it is just short of a miracle that we have gotten to this place.  

A very positive thing and far better than what we are used to with NK and we gave up nothing to get the man to the table thereby showing that we have learned some lessons from past mistakes, like Clinton's deal with Lil-Kim's father or Obama's deal with Iran (anyone notice how quiet the Iranaians have gotten since we slapped the sanctions back on them).  Now it is over to the diplomats to work out the details.

Edited by Merc14

Kim has nothing to loose and everything to gain. Trump makes concessions and Kim makes vague comments. Kim has already forced the U.S. to negotiate with him. A third-world vicious dictatorship has the U.S. President patting its leader on the back and saying what a great relationship they now have. 

Think about who has the upper hand here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StarMountainKid said:

Kim has nothing to loose and everything to gain. Trump makes concessions and Kim makes vague comments. Kim has already forced the U.S. to negotiate with him. A third-world vicious dictatorship has the U.S. President patting its leader on the back and saying what a great relationship they now have. 

Think about who has the upper hand here.

What did he concede?

11 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

What did he concede?

According to all the analysis I've seen, the cessation of war games with the South is a major concession. And in return for nothing NK hadn't already committed too. 

Now I think this might be a good start for negotiation - give Kim something he wants to win him over - but it does make the US position look weaker. 

As for getting to this meeting being a miracle, as you say, it's happened before. I'll wait for actual progress before declaring miracles. 

11 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

What did he concede?

In today's news, Trump says he will end joint war games with South Korea. Kim has long complained about these joint military exercises. 

I don't know of any comparable concessions Kim has made.

23 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

What did he concede?

Military exercises that keep our tens of thousands of troops in South Korea prepared for war.

18 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

In today's news, Trump says he will end joint war games with South Korea. Kim has long complained about these joint military exercises. 

I didn't se that as much of a concession given the number of exercises we have had over there in the last year but I'd hope they negotiate to have future exercises as they will be necessary if we areto maintain that level of manning in SK

I don't know of any comparable concessions Kim has made.

What do you mean, he "promised" to destroy  his nuclear weapons didn't he?   Whether that happens or not we won't know until later and just as Kim can break his word, so can we as this is noit a siogened treaty.

56 minutes ago, Setton said:

According to all the analysis I've seen, the cessation of war games with the South is a major concession. And in return for nothing NK hadn't already committed too. 

Now I think this might be a good start for negotiation - give Kim something he wants to win him over - but it does make the US position look weaker. 

As for getting to this meeting being a miracle, as you say, it's happened before. I'll wait for actual progress before declaring miracles. 

You may very wel be right but this is NOT a treaty, it is simply an agreement and if Kim chooses to violate said agreement then we are not obligated to start military exercises right back up.  If we had dropped teh sanctions I'd be very negative about what happened but we don't need to do any further exercises this year given the number and size of the exercises we have just completed with SK.  I'll wait and see what happens in the future before I cry disaster over the cessation of military exercises for a while.  

8 hours ago, Aquila King said:

PR55BZ.gif

The world is beginning to understand just how much of an empty suit Barack Obama really was.

And there is much, much more yet to be revealed about him and the rest of the 'agents of chaos'.

1 minute ago, hacktorp said:

The world is beginning to understand just how much of an empty suit Barack Obama really was.

And there is much, much more yet to be revealed about him and the rest of the 'agents of chaos'.

It seems like every other day new information pops up. 

USA Today -  Obama administration gave Iran secret access to U.S. financial system

The Obama administration gave Iran brief access to the U.S. financial system as part of the Iran nuclear deal despite specifically telling Congress that such access would remain banned under terms of the controversial agreement, a report released Wednesday by Senate Republicans claims.

Obama wasn't just a bad President, it seems like he was kind of a POS :huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This small initial meeting does not actually accomplish anything concrete, and yet at the same time this is a huge milestone and could in the near future be considered a very significant bit of statesmanship by Donald Trump.  A face to face like this is certainly a bigger accomplishment than "We came, we saw, he died" or paying a nation that supports international terrorism billions to temporarily cut back their own nuclear ambitions.

6 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Obama wasn't just a bad President, it seems like he was kind of a POS

Much can be discerned from this photo alone...

DfgBj86X0AAyAUv.jpg

• Like 1

I don't really see that stopping the war games is actually a concession. 

If Trump thinks that he came out of the meeting as the clear "winner" then obviously he's wrong, NK are the only ones who actually came away with anything - the US literally got nothing. But, if he merely sees this as the beginning of a healing process, then he might not have been a "loser". I mean how can you in good faith open relations with a country when you are carrying out war games that are designed to simulate destroying that country?

If ending the war games was simply a prerequisite for further fruitful negotiations, then it seems a pretty reasonable first step to me. Time will tell, I guess, but I think that coming to the conclusion that the meeting was either a success or a failure is wildly premature at this stage.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2