Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rubik's robot solves puzzle in 0.38 seconds

Still Waters

A robot that can solve a Rubik's cube puzzle in 0.38 seconds has been developed by two researchers in the US.

The current world record is 0.637 seconds, which was set by German engineer Albert Beer and his robot Sub1 Reloaded.

The researchers realised they could solve the cube more quickly by using a different type of motor in their robot.

They suggested the contraption could be tweaked to go faster but said they had "lost interest" in tuning the device.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43331049

• Like 2

Algorithms. Gotta love those. It's fascinating tho, people who solve Rubik for world records are not doing it 'on the fly' so to say but rather by memorizing every possible combination and applying it on the problem which has to be solved.

Still, it's good skill but that's exactly how machine operates and people, to do it fast, have to imitate the machine and work as one. Nothing spectacular or 'record' worthy there, it's mere mechanic skill.

When i see kid who took Rubik's cube for the first time and solved it relatively fast, now, that would be for Guinness.

• Like 1

I used to be able to do these. I think I got it down to about ten minutes which is hella slow compared to the pro's but then again I know a fair few people that have tried over and over and just given up so I'll take that ten minutes as at least some kind of achievement, lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

I used to be able to do these. I think I got it down to about ten minutes which is hella slow compared to the pro's but then again I know a fair few people that have tried over and over and just given up so I'll take that ten minutes as at least some kind of achievement, lol

I used to do them the "proper" way... break them apart, and put them back together completed B)

Let's see Mr. Smarty-robot do that! :lol:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LV-426 said:

I used to do them the "proper" way... break them apart, and put them back together completed B)

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Pfff peel the stickers off FTW!

Hey! Cheating doesn't count! :P

• Like 1

My record was 24 seconds, at the time it was just 2 seconds above World record if I remember correctly, but it was just luck how the pieces was placed at the beginning.

Usually I did it between 30-60 seconds.

Of course it was a "sollution" where you moved the different segments in a special order, it really came down to piece placement in the beginning and how quickly you could get an overwiev of the cube. It was over 35 years ago though so don't think I'm as fast today :)

Zam

• Like 1

I beg to differ. I solved Rubiks cube in .01 seconds on Sept 4, 2003. Twelve guage shotgun at 6 inches. It was immensely satisfying. Next on deck was Tickle me Elmo. I never felt so free before.:D

Hank

Edited by Hankenhunter

20 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Me too! Pretty much how I've operated ever since.