Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The building of Stonehenge was a celebration

UM-Bot

This has been my pet (completely un-scientific) theory for decades. 

It goes like this: Every year (twice a year) everyone gathers for a 'party' from around the region to catch up on events, trade and cavort. There is mead. Over the years more and more sophisticated markers are erected to track the sun (time of year) and commemorate other events while drinking mead. Someone decides that wood markers are nice but why not put in a large permanent stone? Pass the mead please. The following year, sitting around a fire, they decide that the rock they put up was nice but what about a bigger rock? Let the games begin. Is that wine?

I can imagine going home from one of these events and spending all winter thinking up ways to "move that big ****in' rock" that will impress the other men in the circle, possibly winning me a bit of glory this coming spring, and maybe impress that girl from the other settlement I've had my eye on. 

It always bothers me when scholars try and ascribe some over-the-top religious meaning to everything, as if the general populace back then walked around with their heads constantly bowed in reverence to whatever deity they worshiped. And don't get me started on aliens ... alright fine ... look, I'm not saying aliens weren't there. I'm just saying they weren't necessary to move those big f'in rocks.

Never underestimate the power of mead, or a young man's desire to impress a girl.

• Like 2

Many ancient monuments seem to be trending toward the public works answer. What is really fascinating is the dedication of purpose in ancient folk. There are a lot of stone circles other than Stonehenge, so obviously it was popular with the culture. Still hauling huge boulders from many miles away requires some serious dedication. Perhaps the stones path was part of a pilgrimage style journey from myth or tradition that was made once each year or possibly once a decade even. Something like the Olympics.

Send all the young men off to fetch the stone and everyone gathers at the henge to place the stone and party. Once they return some initiation or right is attained perhaps, weddings held etc.. Traditions become strongly rooted and each generation passes that to the next.

I can see that scenario happening. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Calibeliever said:

This has been my pet (completely un-scientific) theory for decades. 

It goes like this: Every year (twice a year) everyone gathers for a 'party' from around the region to catch up on events, trade and cavort. There is mead. Over the years more and more sophisticated markers are erected to track the sun (time of year) and commemorate other events while drinking mead. Someone decides that wood markers are nice but why not put in a large permanent stone? Pass the mead please. The following year, sitting around a fire, they decide that the rock they put up was nice but what about a bigger rock? Let the games begin. Is that wine?

I can imagine going home from one of these events and spending all winter thinking up ways to "move that big ****in' rock" that will impress the other men in the circle, possibly winning me a bit of glory this coming spring, and maybe impress that girl from the other settlement I've had my eye on. 

It always bothers me when scholars try and ascribe some over-the-top religious meaning to everything, as if the general populace back then walked around with their heads constantly bowed in reverence to whatever deity they worshiped. And don't get me started on aliens ... alright fine ... look, I'm not saying aliens weren't there. I'm just saying they weren't necessary to move those big f'in rocks.

Never underestimate the power of mead, or a young man's desire to impress a girl.

sorry to burst your bubble but you didnt hear of that timeloop that materialized in the UK ?  ...local photographer went back and captured this shot

we still have to ask why would aliens do this tho..hmmmmmm

Alien-Stonehenge.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, khol said:

we still have to ask why would aliens do this tho..hmmmmmm

They have a wager going as to whether humans will still be discussing it on Internet forums thousands of years later :yes:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, khol said:

sorry to burst your bubble but you didnt hear of that timeloop that materialized in the UK ?  ...local photographer went back and captured this shot

Ah darn it. Well that takes some of the fun out it doesn't it?  

• Like 1