Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Why are grandfather clocks called that ?

15 posts in this topic

UM-Bot

How did these magnificent timepieces come to be called 'grandfather clocks' ?

• Like 6

Still Waters

My grandmother had a grandfather clock in the hallway by her front door, we could hear it strike on the hour all through the house. It was a nice old clock but a bit temperamental and would stop working sometimes, my dad used to fiddle around with its pendulum to get it going again.

I don't know where her clock is now, when my parents moved away my grandmother moved in with them and most of her stuff was auctioned off. It would be nice to think it was still ticking away somewhere but I doubt that very much.

• Like 5

Sir Smoke aLot
39 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

My grandmother had a grandfather clock in the hallway by her front door, we could hear it strike on the hour all through the house. It was a nice old clock but a bit temperamental and would stop working sometimes, my dad used to fiddle around with its pendulum to get it going again.

I don't know where her clock is now, when my parents moved away my grandmother moved in with them and most of her stuff was auctioned off. It would be nice to think it was still ticking away somewhere but I doubt that very much.

It took me years to realize how important is that which reminds us of family memories. Fool i was i appreciated new and modern instead of old stuff, stuff which is much more worth than anything which money could buy, because of memories and happy times we get back to. That's my opinion at least and luckily one of this big watches has survived the ignorance of my family.

• Like 2

sags

You know ... I've never considered why they were called Grandfather clocks.

When I was a kid we had a granddaughter clock at home .... a mini size grandfather, so figures I guess. It was a devil for chiming, or not chiming. My mum flogged them off. Shame, I loved old stuff, even then.

Same as my grandfathers old waistcoat fob watch and chain. All had their own stories to tell and

• Like 2

Still Waters

There's a grandmother clock too.

and then

THIS is the Grandfather Clock I grew up with :) 

grandfather clock CK.jpg

• Like 3

Susanc241

Not aware of anyone in our family owning a grandfather clock in years gone by, though an antique one has been bought by a relative fairly recently.  I find it sad and hard to fathom when I see people on antique shows here in U.K. like Flog It who sell off items that belonged to ancestors, sometimes even grandparents or great grandparents they knew personally.  I find myself unable to dispose of such items unless they have been passed down to my children or grandchildren.  What they do with them I try not to think about, any more than I can bear to think about what will happen to these family heirlooms once I am gone.  Hopefull they'll stay in the family and continue being passed down.  Just call me a sentimental old fool!

• Like 1

and then
2 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

Not aware of anyone in our family owning a grandfather clock in years gone by, though an antique one has been bought by a relative fairly recently.  I find it sad and hard to fathom when I see people on antique shows here in U.K. like Flog It who sell off items that belonged to ancestors, sometimes even grandparents or great grandparents they knew personally.  I find myself unable to dispose of such items unless they have been passed down to my children or grandchildren.  What they do with them I try not to think about, any more than I can bear to think about what will happen to these family heirlooms once I am gone.  Hopefull they'll stay in the family and continue being passed down.  Just call me a sentimental old fool!

Once we forget who we are and where we came from, it's difficult to understand where we're going or why we'd want to get there.  Life is aimless enough without digging up our own roots and casting them to the winds.

• Like 1

DingoLingo

I own my great grandfathers mantle clock.. its over 100 years old now.. it does not work.. will get it fixed one day.. just trying to find a watch maker that will actually rebuild the mechanism.. these days most of them just throw out the old mechanism and put in a battery operated one.. 

When I finally settle down in one spot.. I will buy a actual Grandfather Clock.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rashore

I have a 1931 General Electric Modern Longfellow H-91 clock-radio. Got it when I was 11 years old or so- when mom was buying the house were were going to move into, we went to the estate sale being held in the house, and were able to pick out a piece or two of furniture. I opted for the clock.

The clock used to work, but I haven't plugged it in in at least 20 years so I don't know if it still does. The radio never worked, and I've never bothered trying to find someone to restore the old style radio bulbs and such.

Piney

I had one of those "Topper" (Hopalong Cassidy's horse) clocks made from bronze from the 1950's I never plugged it in I just kept it with my antique and vintage cowboy toys.

12 minutes ago, rashore said:

The clock used to work, but I haven't plugged it in in at least 20 years so I don't know if it still does. The radio never worked, and I've never bothered trying to find someone to restore the old style radio bulbs and such.

They sell those tubes online now. If you have the numbers off them you can find them. They just plug in the base plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not A Rockstar
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:25 AM, Susanc241 said:

Susan you will understand then one time I was on Ebay, where I sold off antique books for a while as a hobby and to help a friend get rid of a bunch of them. I was a collector of cook books myself, being an avid cook, and actually have over 300 right now after downsizing LOL. But, anyway, I was looking about and came across a very old beaten up Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, you know the old red and white checked cover one. The binder was worn out and split, it was full of cut out added recipes from over a lifetime. This was a cookbook which had raised a family, worked very hard. At auction. In the text the seller said it had been some junk left from his grandmother's things and if no one wanted it they were going to throw it out, had decided on a whim to list it along with better things they were selling off.

I was appalled. wish I had one from my own Grand folks. No bids, it had been beaten up over the years, and the auction was ending in 5 minutes. First bid was 5 bucks plus postage.

Yeah, yeah I bought it. It is actually in a drawer not 5 feet away from where I sit. I have looked through all the cut out tuna fish casserole recipes and odds and ends over the years I have had it since. Someday it needs to go to someone who has nobody behind them who will prize it for the memories and that someone valued it, and it needs to stay treasured by someone else. Until then it is safely in my office here, a handy quick reference when an idea for dinner leaps to mind from nowhere.

How can you sell off something like this so coldly? I don't understand.

• Like 2

Susanc241

It’s a bit off topic (not clocks) but I have inherited a tiny hand made stool which my great great grandfather made in about 1870. It is what would be described as crudely made, probably from offcuts but I treasure it.

On another occasion way back when I was 12, my great grandmother died and I found out later that some of her children (she had 17 and 11 survived to adulthood) had emptied her drawers and cupboards of old photos and papers and what have you and had had a bonfire in the garden.  I could still cry at the thought of what has been lost, the information in that paperwork, the faces in those photos.  I am the family archivist these days having done the family tree and gathering up bits that other family members can’t be bothered with keeping themselves.  We shouldn't live in the past, but we should honour and respect it.  It’s our heritage, even the less salubrious parts!

• Like 2

Kismit

I have a spooky story about a grandfather clock, When I was younger I had a birthday sleep over at a friends house. It was Halloween. Not something we celebrated in 1982 in Australia, but my friends where American. I don't know if the parents were messing with us or not but I woke up theough the night and the clock struck 3, I woke up later again and the clock struck 1. 

I was awake for the full ring both times. It has bugged me for a long time.

• Like 1

Daughter of the Nine Moons

I love Grandfather clock's mostly because of this song

• Like 2