Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neil deGrasse Tyson shoots down flat-Earthers

UM-Bot

9 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

The popular astrophysicist has provided an in-depth rebuttal to the absurd notion that the Earth is flat.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/316351/neil-degrasse-tyson-shoots-down-flat-earthers

My VR headset projects a flat image into each eye which my brain assembles into 3d. If we are in a matrix then surely the same kind of illusion could produce a sphere for a planet when it is flat?

I`m joking, and just to point out something very important - no where in the Bible does it explicitly state that the Earth is flat, that its at the centre of the universe, or that the universe is 5500 years old. These ideas are the result of people philosophising about what extracts from the Bible could mean not what is actually stated.

• Like 4

Shouldn't really need to bring out the big guns such as Neil deGrasse Tyson to disprove flat-Earth theory... a child with a bunch of coloured crayons should suffice :tu:

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

Shouldn't really need to bring out the big guns such as Neil deGrasse Tyson to disprove flat-Earth theory... a child with a bunch of coloured crayons should suffice :tu:

When flat-Earth society members see how great Neil addresses them it will make them believe that 'they all' try to disprove them and, as a result, their belief might get stronger.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

You cannot experience the reverse side of a sphere at the same time as the front to know it isn't flat.

To make matters worse there is a great deal of philosophy and physics which says things only exist while they are being observed which is crazy. So, they could argue the non-existence of the reverse side of the sphere.

Non-existence isn't the same as not existing. A clear way of communicating the concept would be to say there is a weird wavy potential around the reverse of the sphere which hasn't adopted a definite specific outcome yet. That only occurs at a point when it comes into view.

Basically what I just said is because you cannot see the reverse side of the sphere at the same time as the front then quantum physics applies with it. The reverse side is a piece of the multi-verse full of probabilities. And one of them hasn't been selected yet to come into being.

Funny the first I ever heard of this whole flat earth phenomenon was years ago on this site, when discussion here led me to a website where, at the time, the whole flat earth concept was a satirical debate made for those who wished to hone their arguing skills in an obviously inane argument.

I was floored to hear the name come up again years later, and it wasn't satire.

• Like 3

Don't know why but I positively don't like the manner this astroguy talks.

26 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

You cannot experience the reverse side of a sphere at the same time as the front to know it isn't flat.

To make matters worse there is a great deal of philosophy and physics which says things only exist while they are being observed which is crazy. So, they could argue the non-existence of the reverse side of the sphere.

Non-existence isn't the same as not existing. A clear way of communicating the concept would be to say there is a weird wavy potential around the reverse of the sphere which hasn't adopted a definite specific outcome yet. That only occurs at a point when it comes into view.

Basically what I just said is because you cannot see the reverse side of the sphere at the same time as the front then quantum physics applies with it. The reverse side is a piece of the multi-verse full of probabilities. And one of them hasn't been selected yet to come into being.

The problem is that you're dealing with a group of people that don't accept hard scientific evidence, or even basic observational evidence.

Once you get into concepts such as existence, mutiverse theory, etc. there's plenty of scope for debate. Flat-Earthers simply don't strike me as folk that think that deeply...

Anyway, these threads are always a good excuse to post this great video!

• Like 5

It is interesting that in order to debunk the spherical earth they have also had to debunk NASA. So one madness leads to another.

• Like 1

Basically the first proof from the video is more than enough for this stupidity to end. All one needs it to buy a decent scope (buying a simple one in advance and disassembling it to understand how it works is highly recommended). I've seen it all with my own eyes: Jupiter is round and its surface obviously scrolls along, so it is obviously spherical. Its moons rotate around it too, in the same manner - slower near the edges and faster when passing in front or behind. Mars is round, and although I can discern no features, I guess it's spherical as well. Venus and Mercury look more or less like crescents, their shadows tell me they are most likely spherical. The Moon is obviously spherical, the craters look flattened as they are closer to the edges. The sky with all the planets rotates around us - I've seen it when made a photo time lapse. Then for what reason should the Earth be out of this order and be flat as a dish?

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

I really don't like this guy and how he became the voice of science is beyond me. As for people that believe in a flat earth, well I can find people that believe a lot of strange things but none of these things make the news. Also he should be aware that scientists are literally working on research to prove or disprove that the universe is a 2d hologram.

https://www.space.com/26969-universe-2d-hologram-holometer-experiment.html

Now had this pseudo scientist, more like a political hack had done some reading about whats going on in the world of physics etc. then he would have suggested that they may in fact be correct. That in fact if the research is solid that we may all be living in a 2d hologram universe and that everything is flat with the illusion of 3d. But no we give way to stupid and sensationalism. How sad that scientific research has fallen so much and those representing it are misrepresenting it.

I find Neil to be more of a spokesman rather than a scientist hands full into science you know. Very similar to the company I work for, our spokesman comes to me or to some of us asking more details about a certain subject. So if I want to manipulate the actual subject which goes out to the public I will use this person to send through the message I want. I'm not saying that Earth is round or flat, I just agree with some of the audience here about Neil to be not as nerdy he pretends to be.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

Why?

Isn't there something more productive he could be doing?

• Like 2

On 3/11/2018 at 2:02 PM, Nzo said:

Now had this pseudo scientist, more like a political hack had done some reading about whats going on in the world of physics etc. then he would have suggested that they may in fact be correct. That in fact if the research is solid that we may all be living in a 2d hologram universe and that everything is flat with the illusion of 3d. But no we give way to stupid and sensationalism. How sad that scientific research has fallen so much and those representing it are misrepresenting it.

wow

• Like 1

If Neil DeGrasse Tyson debunks the issue.........then there actually may be something to it! 

Thought this site was for OPEN minds seeking less of the mainstream dogma and more of the possibility of real truth.  Can you prove me wrong now?

38 minutes ago, Quarky said:

If Neil DeGrasse Tyson debunks the issue.........then there actually may be something to it! 

Thought this site was for OPEN minds seeking less of the mainstream dogma and more of the possibility of real truth.  Can you prove me wrong now?

You thought wrong, that’s not what this site is for. 

• Like 1