Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another released video

stereologist

https://nypost.com/2018/03/10/footage-of-mysterious-object-above-ocean-stuns-military-personnel/

The make a profit group at " To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science " have released another government video that seems to show a tiny white dot traveling over the ocean.

I think it is about the size of a large bird such as an albatross with a tail wind.

I don't get the excitement. What do others think?

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I don't get the excitement. What do others think?

Bunch of scam artists making a killing off those too stupid to see through it. They promise everything and deliver nothing, time and again.

The very fact this group still exists, and is doing well from, promoting this crap gives me little hope for humanity.

• Like 9

I don't know about anything else, but " To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science " really has the ring of legitimacy to it. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I don't know about anything else, but " To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science " really has the ring of legitimacy to it. 

LOL

Still waiting for all this big news we were supposed to hear.

• Like 2

Looks like a seabird with a full crop making a beeline back to the nest.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Looks like a seabird with a full crop making a beeline back to the nest.

That was my take on it. IN The radio traffic it also seems like they were impressed with a bird and not shocked by a UFO.

• Like 2

It appears to be definitely not a seabird like an albatross --- Though it appears to me as some kind of oval-shaped mechanical bogey, going at very high speed on a straight line vector course.

Edited by Erno86
added a few words
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Erno86 said:

It appears to be definitely not a seabird like an albatross --- Though it appears to me as some kind of aerial mechanical bogey, going at very high speed in a straight line.

Albatross on steroids.:w00t:

• Like 2

Stunned is an appropriately overused description for this footage.  it is as stunning as Brangelina's divorce and Kim K.'s fashion which were also supposed to stun us.  I hear a couple of pilots having a great time targeting and  tracking a seabird.  it is you must admit a necessary skill for a combat pilot.  Good training and it breaks the monotony.

• Like 4

Is the mystery object a large bird? I don't think so. It consistently shows a markedly lower temperature than the ocean, below, in the infrared image. Birds have have highly active metabolisms, with body temperatures of around 105 degrees F.  The sea would be tens of degrees cooler than that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Erno86 said:

It appears to be definitely not a seabird like an albatross --- Though it appears to me as some kind of oval-shaped mechanical bogey, going at very high speed on a straight line vector course.

Te object is traveling slow. It is small. The appearance of the object in the video is not the shape of the object due to the imaging modality.

Look at how it passes the waves. It is moving at bird speeds.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bison said:

Is the mystery object a large bird? I don't think so. It consistently shows a markedly lower temperature than the ocean, below, in the infrared image. Birds have have highly active metabolisms, with body temperatures of around 105 degrees F.  The sea would be tens of degrees cooler than that. 

The object is hotter than the background. The image is IR and is white hot.  The bird shows up as white hot.

I went back and looked at the  video and saw that often the bird disappears from the image. It is small enough the it's existence in the video is washed out by the colder background water. It is small compared to the background waves.

• Like 2

Having looked at the video again I think that an albatross may be wrong because the white dot is too small to be an albatross. Also, an albatross is probably faster than the object in the video. There are many species of albatross so it might be one of the smaller species.

http://college.wfu.edu/albatross/atwork/dynamic_soaring.htm

Here is a possible species

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_yellow-nosed_albatross

• Like 2

I`m not a HUD expert but I wonder if its normal that the numbers/values in the lower right section in the OP vid are the same as in the same section in the chasing vid that was published month/weeks ago by " To the Stars Academy of Arts and Science "

HUD shows:

LST

LTO/R

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Erno86 said:

Though it appears to me as some kind of oval-shaped mechanical bogey, going at very high speed on a straight line vector course.

as always to you.... you'd believe a photo of a disk-shaped object complete with teeth marks & faded marker pen writing saying fido's frisbee is an alien spacecraft if someone tells you it is- bless ya cotton socks ;)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stereologist said:

The object is hotter than the background. The image is IR and is white hot.  The bird shows up as white hot.

I went back and looked at the  video and saw that often the bird disappears from the image. It is small enough the it's existence in the video is washed out by the colder background water. It is small compared to the background waves.

The image can be adjusted to make objects appear black if hot, and white if cold, or the reverse.  At the start of the video, it is set to Hot Black. The unidentified object is very light in color, lighter even than the ocean. This means it is cold.

Information explaining these facts were found at the beginning of the video released by the TTSA. The abbreviated version of the video, linked in this thread, omits these facts. 

After the infrared camera locks onto the object, and keeps it centered, one can see that these settings are changed, repeatedly, making the object appear either light or dark, at will.  

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bison said:

The image can be adjusted to make objects appear black if hot, and white if cold, or the reverse.  At the start of the video, it is set to Hot Black. The unidentified object is very light in color, lighter even than the ocean. This means it is cold.

Information explaining these facts were found at the beginning of the video released by the TTSA. The abbreviated version of the video, linked in this thread, omits these facts. 

After the infrared camera locks onto the object, and keeps it centered, one can see that these settings are changed, repeatedly, making the object appear either light or dark, at will.  

Are you sure about that?

The object is tiny. It is bird sized. The fact that it is down by the waves suggests it is using well known bird flight tactics.  The object is of the order of a pixel in size which is why it tends to "disappear" in some frames. The speed is slow. It is bird speed.

gimbal-vs-nimitz.jpg

I look left and I see BLK at the bottom and a dark object. To the right I see WHT and a dark object.

It's a bird.

• Like 1

My money's on it being a pelican.                          

Pelicans are coastal birds. But it is possible that this is a pelican. I was thinking about pelagic birds although this could be a migratory species crossing the open ocean. Red knots for example fly from Brazil to the eastern coast of the the US, a 3000 mile flight in about 100 hours. They cannot stop and rest on route since they cannot take off from the water.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stereologist said:

Are you sure about that?

The object is tiny. It is bird sized. The fact that it is down by the waves suggests it is using well known bird flight tactics.  The object is of the order of a pixel in size which is why it tends to "disappear" in some frames. The speed is slow. It is bird speed.

gimbal-vs-nimitz.jpg

I look left and I see BLK at the bottom and a dark object. To the right I see WHT and a dark object.

It's a bird.

The selectable black= hot, and white= hot modes for this camera are well documented. The 'Gimbal' image is in black=hot mode. The object is dark, hence hot. The 'Nimitz' image is in white=hot mode, the object is dark, hence cold.The three videos are of different objects, and apparently different incidents. There is no reason that the three objects should necessarily all have the same temperature.

The newly released 'Go Fast' video starts in black= hot mode. The heat from the ocean renders it grey. The object in question is lighter in color, hence cooler. A bird registering as cooler than the ocean would be a dead bird, not a live one, flying over the sea.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bison said:

My connection at work is hopeless to day but I believe that at  the bottom center of that display it will say BLK when black hot is selected.  Might take a look again and tell us what it is saying when the object is black on the display

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's hard to say what it might be, info on the display shows something at a starting range of 4.4 miles and this reduces to 3.5 miles in 20 sec. The aircraft is not flying directly towards the target as the camera is angled at 42 dg left of the aircraft and this changes to 57 dg after 20 sec. The camera is also angled down by 26 dg and this drops to 35 dg after 20 sec. So the aircraft's speed is not entirely responsible for the total reduction in range over the time on screen.

The aircraft was travailing at approximately 4.8 miles per min. If it had been moving towards the target it would have reduced the range by 1.6 miles, moving at a 45 dg angle would half this number ? (0.8) yet the display shows 0.9 miles for  the 20 sec the target was tracked. 

If the assumptions above are anything like accurate then the target might have been moving at 18 mph. This would fit with a bird theory.

The thing is how would a pilot spot something the size of a bird at more than 4 miles away and well below their altitude so they could then attempt to track it on video.       

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, bison said:

The selectable black= hot, and white= hot modes for this camera are well documented. The 'Gimbal' image is in black=hot mode. The object is dark, hence hot. The 'Nimitz' image is in white=hot mode, the object is dark, hence cold.The three videos are of different objects, and apparently different incidents. There is no reason that the three objects should necessarily all have the same temperature.

The newly released 'Go Fast' video starts in black= hot mode. The heat from the ocean renders it grey. The object in question is lighter in color, hence cooler. A bird registering as cooler than the ocean would be a dead bird, not a live one, flying over the sea.  

The two video images I used show distant planes. They show up black regardless of the setting used.

You are assuming that white to black or black to white is a single range. Many display systems repeat that range of "colors" over the range of the signal. One application for this is to prevent bird strikes as well as detect planes, detect people in the water, etc.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked