Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Feed the wild birds, but be aware of risks

Still Waters

Scientists are warning of the risks of wild birds spreading diseases when they gather at feeders in gardens.

Experts led by Zoological Society of London say people should continue to feed birds, especially in winter, but should be aware of the risks.

If birds look sick, food should be withdrawn temporarily, they say.

The review of 25 years' worth of data identified emerging threats to garden birds. Finches, doves and pigeons are vulnerable to a parasite infection.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43349781

• Like 7

we kept a feeder for years one year  a while back  we had dozens of tiny 'pine ciskins'  at the feeder the next they were all gone the yearly news letter from the Washington state department of wildlife informed that the numbers of pine ciskins were decimated by the desease that seemed to be passed through the numbers at bird feeders. so now we have ups and downs on a three to four year cycle after a couple years they all vanish then slowly rebuild there numbers only to vanish again several years later.   We no longer feed the birds at the feeder. but it doesn't matter at least not where I am. because so many others feed them with feeders.  

• Like 3

I saw this on the news thus afternoon I missec the beggining and didn't realy take it in. It's an interesting point and one to be aware of. 

• Like 3

I don't have any close neighbors that put out feeders, and I live in a healthy ecosystem that supports a lot of different birds. And I grow some plants just for the birds, like giant thistles and nectar-bearing flowers. But I still put out feeders sometimes. It's more like easy junk food and treats for them than supplying their diet. And it's right outside the kitchen and office windows so we can enjoy the bird show.

Later in the winter, particularly if it's been a hard winter, I sometimes make suet cakes and usually put out a mixed seed feeder. One feeder lasts 2-3 days depending. And I always make sure the feeder is empty and clean before refilling it. I tend to stop providing this in later spring as the birds stop visiting so much in favor of eating their wild foods. Early spring when the finches start flashing, I put out a thistle sock for them, and they are usually around till early summer before showing less interest in the feeder and I stop refilling it. Mid spring I put out some fruit and jellies for the orioles till they start scooting off early to mid-summer. And late spring I put out a hummingbird feeder and that stays out till later summer when they seem to move on.

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, simplybill said:

I stopped using feeders when the deer started chewing them to pieces. Now I scatter seeds and cracked corn on my gravel driveway. It’s become a buffet table for birds, raccoons, opossums, squirrels and rabbits. They’re fun to watch.

Heheh, never had a problem with deer- they wander through the yard, but not up close to the house and gardens. On occasion I get squirrel and coons on the feeders. I use a lot of hot pepper stuff, scent traps, and oils around the house and garden proper though, and that keeps the furry critters at bay for the most part.

Around here it's a couple of the larger bully birds like grackles that I have to keep my eye out for. I use the shorter perch and hanging perch style feeders, and that helps a lot.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this SW, as you know we have a lot of winter birds at our feeders.

Speaking of Pine Siskins: :)

bc3_orig.jpg

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 8

We've got loads of feeders around the garden I clean them once a week when I give my avairy a deep clean I keep canarys and finches I've seen 1st hand what Trichomonosis can do I lost a whole stud line of green finches to it

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

We've got loads of feeders around the garden I clean them once a week when I give my avairy a deep clean I keep canarys and finches I've seen 1st hand what Trichomonosis can do I lost a whole stud line of green finches to it

I miss my canaries terribly. I used to have several pair but got too busy working and sold them all. Now they are hard to find.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matt221 said:

1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I miss my canaries terribly. I used to have several pair but got too busy working and sold them all. Now they are hard to find.

Geez, you two way more into birds than me. I just help them along a little to encourage them to put on the air show outside my window.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rashore said:

Geez, you two way more into birds than me. I just help them along a little to encourage them to put on the air show outside my window.

Nah I just have a pair of spectacled amazons now. But, I miss them all.

• Like 1

I have three feeders. Two for seed and one for humming birds. I make sure they are full. The sound of birds is great for meditation.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rashore said:

My Arvatar is my Jackdaw called orville I hand reared him now he just flys free and comes home occasionally especially if we got the kitchen door open he comes in for a little bit of fuss then he's away again

• Like 3