Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A compilation of different Poltergeist Cases

macqdor

Brought to prominence in 1958 through his investigation of the Seaford case. Originally trained for the ministry, but in his first year of graduate study at Duke University he began to do research work with Professor William McDougall and his young colleague, Dr Joseph Rhine. Except for a brief period at Columbia and three years in the Navy during World War II, Dr Pratt was responsible for some of the most exciting experiments at Duke University.

Mind on the Rampage? The Seaford Poltergeist

- J G Pratt -

http://www.survivalafterdeath.info/articles/pratt/seaford.htm

http://www.ghost-story.co.uk/index.php/poltergiests/255-the-zaragoza-poltergeist-aragon-spain

After two months of insults and threats, the maniacal voice suddenly stopped. Like in all poltergeist cases, it manifested quickly and without warning and vanished the same way.

Pascuala was stigmatized with being the hoaxer, the police blamed the girl and her ability to "throw her voice", even though skeptics had retorted with the argument that Pascuala was not even near the neighborhood when these voices occurred during some of the investigations, the police and judges closed the case blaming Pascuala.

She lived a very reclusive life after this whole ordeal had ended. Never fully recovering from the blame what was put on her, she refused to socialize with the people of the city. In old age, she gave an interview about this incident. When asked where the voice was coming from, Pascuala answered: "From the wall."

Today, the building no longer stands it was demolished and in its place, stands a modern building with many residents, none of these have reported any strange occurrences.

P = Policeman
E = Entity

P ask: Do you want money?

E: No!

P: Do you want a job?

E: No!

P: Oh man,...than what do you want?”

E: ...I’m not a man.

It was said that when someone turned off the light in the room as a test, the entity would scream: “Light! Light! I cannot see!”

http://www.ghost-story.co.uk/index.php/poltergiests/255-the-zaragoza-poltergeist-aragon-spain

Ah yes, Joseph Banks Rhine.  The original scientist sucker...  From his Wiki (and ALL of this is easily verifiable):

.. Rhine's results have never been duplicated by the scientific community.

..A number of psychological departments attempted to repeat Rhine's experiments with failure.

..W. S. Cox from Princeton University with 132 subjects produced 25,064 trials .. Cox concluded "There is no evidence of extrasensory perception either in the 'average man' or of the group investigated or in any particular individual of that group

..Four other psychological departments failed to replicate Rhine's results.

..The American psychologist James Charles Crumbaugh attempted to repeat Rhine's findings over a long period without success.

..It was revealed that Rhine's experiments into extrasensory perception (ESP) contained methodological flaws.

.."the keeping of records in Rhine’s experiments was inadequate. Sometimes, the subject would help with the checking of his or her calls against the order of cards. In some long-distance telepathy experiments, the order of the cards passed through the hands of the percipient before it got from Rhine to the agent."

..The card-guessing method used in the Rhine experiments contained flaws that did not rule out the possibility of sensory leakage. The cards were poorly designed so the printed designs could actually be seen from the back of the cards.

..The methods the Rhines used to prevent subjects from gaining hints and clues as to the design on the cards were far from adequate. In many experiments, the cards were displayed face up, but hidden behind a small wooden shield. Several ways of obtaining information about the design on the card remain even in the presence of the shield.

..Harold Gulliksen wrote that Rhine did not describe his experimental methods clearly and used inappropriate mathematical procedures which overestimated the significance of his results.

..Rhine's experiments into psychokinesis (PK) were not replicated by other scientists.

..The science writer Martin Gardner wrote that Rhine repeatedly tried to replicate his work, but produced only failures that he never reported.  Gardner criticized Rhine for not disclosing the names of assistants he caught cheating:

..His paper "Security Versus Deception in Parapsychology" published in his journal (vol. 38, 1974), runs to 23 pages... Rhine selects twelve sample cases of dishonest experimenters that came to his attention from 1940 to 1950, four of whom were caught 'red-handed'. Not a single name is mentioned. What papers did they publish, one wonders?

..Rhine has been described as credulous as he believed the horse "Lady Wonder" was telepathic, but it was discovered the owner was using subtle signals to control the horse’s behavior.

..Historian Ruth Brandon has written that Rhine's research was not balanced or objective, instead "motivated by the most extreme ideology".

Any questions, readers?  Feel free to google up "j b rhine, duke university" for many more sorry tales.  This sort of science is utter hogwash, and I challenge the OP to provide cdecent cites and evidence for the claims being made.

BTW, Here's the Wiki on Pratt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Gaither_Pratt

Sound familiar?  Yes it's just like Rhine's, and that similarity is not because Wiki is pickin' on them - the errors and lousy methodology are apparent as soon as you try to delve into the methodologies used.  These people were either incompetent or deliberately cheating and biased towards positive outcomes (which they needed to justify their existence....)  Same old, same old - people calling themselves scientists getting easily suckered by con-artists.

• Like 9

https://thefortean.com/2018/03/17/wonderful-story-millville-poltergeist-1885/

The Millville Poltergeist of 1885

I love stone-throwing poltergeists. The following report, which appeared in the Montana Standard of 10 September 1885, is an absolute cracker. Millville is a rural community located around 160 miles north of Sacramento, California.

The case includes elements that are common in the poltergeist literature; stones that ‘return’, thrown objects that appear to do little damage to people and a young girl who appears to have been the focus of the spook

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2012/11/poltergeists-teen-angst-telekinesis/

The Cooyal Ghost

In early 1887, the Large family, living on a remote property at Cooyal, near the central west New South Wales town of Mudgee, was terrorised by an inexplicable nightly rain of luminous stones falling, and sometimes floating, inside their house.

Poltergeist activity tends to occur around a single person called an agent or a focus (typically a prepubescent female). Almost seventy years of research by the Rhine Research Center (Raleigh-Durham, NC USA) has led to the hypothesis among parapsychologists that the "poltergeist effect" is a form of psychokinesis generated by a living human mind (that of the agent). According to researchers at the Rhine Center, the "poltergeist effect" is the outward manifestation of psychological trauma.

http://www.crystalinks.com/poltergeists.html

• Like 1

https://www.trivia-library.com/b/biography-of-electric-psychokinetic-anne-marie-sch-part-1.htm

Since the days of the Romans, if not earlier, parapsychological, psychokinetic phenomena have been recognized by the fact that there is an absorption of energy: the temperature drops. But the Rosenheim phenomenon also absorbs electrical energy, a completely new event that deserves serious study.

In the presence of the experts, drawers opened by themselves, and a file cabinet weighing 385 lb. moved 1 ft. away from the wall.

Miss Sch. became ill and returned home, where the same phenomenon occurred. She changed jobs; identical events took place in her new office. Measuring instruments showed that the phenomenon absorbed electrical power. The same phenomenon called the correct time number five times a minute, without touching the dial!

https://www.trivia-library.com

• Like 1

C ock Lane ghost

The C ock Lane ghost was a purported haunting that attracted mass public attention in 1762.

The location was a lodging in C ock Lane, a short road adjacent to London's Smithfield market and a few minutes' walk from St Paul's Cathedral. The event centred on three people: William Kent, a usurer from Norfolk; Richard Parsons, a parish clerk; and Parsons' daughter Elizabeth.

Following the death during childbirth of Kent's wife, Elizabeth Lynes, he became romantically involved with her sister, Fanny. Canon law prevented the couple from marrying, but they nevertheless moved to London and lodged at the property in C ock Lane, then owned by Parsons. Several accounts of strange knocking sounds and ghostly apparitions were reported, although for the most part they stopped after the couple moved out, but following Fanny's death from smallpox and Kent's successful legal action against Parsons over an outstanding debt, they resumed. Parsons claimed that Fanny's ghost haunted his property and later his daughter. Regular séances were held to determine "Scratching Fanny's" motives; C ock Lane was often made impassable by the throngs of interested bystanders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_Lane_ghost

The Enfield Poltergeist

The rasping male voice sent a chill through the room. Hauntingly, it delivered a message from beyond the grave, describing in graphic detail the moment of death.

‘Just before I died, I went blind, and then I had an ’aemorrhage and I fell asleep and I died in the chair in the corner downstairs.’

The eerie voice — which can still be heard on audio tapes today — is purportedly that of Bill Wilkins. The recording was made in Enfield, North London, in the Seventies, several years after his death. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054842/Enfield-Poltergeist-The-amazing-story-11-year-old-North-London-girl-levitated-bed.html

southshieldspolt-300x194@2x.jpg

Possessed toys aren't just for movies. In the South Shields Poltergeist case, a child's playthings became terrifying objects used to torment a family...

http://weekinweird.com/2016/08/02/the-devils-playthings-the-south-shields-poltergeist-tormented-this-family-using-their-sons-toys/

Edited by Black Monk

On 3/24/2018 at 0:59 PM, Black Monk said:

C ock Lane ghost

The C ock Lane ghost was a purported haunting that attracted mass public attention in 1762.

The location was a lodging in C ock Lane, a short road adjacent to London's Smithfield market and a few minutes' walk from St Paul's Cathedral. The event centred on three people: William Kent, a usurer from Norfolk; Richard Parsons, a parish clerk; and Parsons' daughter Elizabeth.

Following the death during childbirth of Kent's wife, Elizabeth Lynes, he became romantically involved with her sister, Fanny. Canon law prevented the couple from marrying, but they nevertheless moved to London and lodged at the property in C ock Lane, then owned by Parsons. Several accounts of strange knocking sounds and ghostly apparitions were reported, although for the most part they stopped after the couple moved out, but following Fanny's death from smallpox and Kent's successful legal action against Parsons over an outstanding debt, they resumed. Parsons claimed that Fanny's ghost haunted his property and later his daughter. Regular séances were held to determine "Scratching Fanny's" motives; C ock Lane was often made impassable by the throngs of interested bystanders.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cock_Lane_ghost

Oh the child in me, THE CHILD!  Scratching Fanny's in C ock Lane? He got romantically involved with his dead wife's Fanny? I'm only surprised they didn't move to Ramsbottom or Shaftsbury.

On 3/24/2018 at 0:59 PM, Black Monk said:

The Enfield Poltergeist

The rasping male voice sent a chill through the room. Hauntingly, it delivered a message from beyond the grave, describing in graphic detail the moment of death.

‘Just before I died, I went blind, and then I had an ’aemorrhage and I fell asleep and I died in the chair in the corner downstairs.’

The eerie voice — which can still be heard on audio tapes today — is purportedly that of Bill Wilkins. The recording was made in Enfield, North London, in the Seventies, several years after his death. 

Love the Enfield story, my favourite of all time due to the level of documentation.  I'd like to point out for clarity though that the voice of Bill Wilkins was actually Janet and not a recording of a disembodied spirit etc.  I spent some time looking into how, or if, it was possible that an 11 year old girl could produce, and maintain, a voice such as this.  It turns out she could if she had the following condition:

https://laryngopedia.com/false-cord-phonation/

I don't think we'll ever get a resolution to the case but it's worth noting that if it was indeed a poltergeist then it had attached itself to Janet.  When she was not present, and indeed after they moved out, there were no 'experiences' and so we can conclude it was either her hoaxing it or indeed she was possessed.   

• Like 1

Stephen Braude, PhD, is an emeritus professor and former chairman of the philosophy department at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. He has also served as president of the Parapsychological Association. He is author of First Person Plural: Multiple Personality and the Philosophy of Mind, Crimes of Reason, The Gold Leaf Lady, Immortal Remains, The Limits of Influence: Psychokinesis and the Philosophy of Science, and ESP and Psychokinesis. He is the recent recipient of the prestigious Myers Memorial Medal awarded by the Society for Psychical Research for outstanding contributions. He also serves as editor of the Journal of Scientific Exploration.

On 26/03/2018 at 10:44 AM, I'mConvinced said:

I'd like to point out for clarity though that the voice of Bill Wilkins was actually Janet and not a recording of a disembodied spirit etc.  I spent some time looking into how, or if, it was possible that an 11 year old girl could produce, and maintain, a voice such as this.  It turns out she could if she had the following condition:

https://laryngopedia.com/false-cord-phonation/

There's no proof that it was Janet.

10 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

There's no proof that it was Janet.

What? There is all the proof it was Janet. There was never any claim of a disembodied voice and Janet is in every video and is the source of the voice in the audio recordings.

She even says herself that the voice is chanelled through her...

Are the Bill Recordings real? There are few reliable witnesses to the events of Enfield in the 1970s, and those who were there have very differing opinions. Janet Hodgson, now Janet Winter, still claims that these events did occur. She maintains that Bill Wilkins spoke through her, and that she was possessed by the spirit of the former tenant of 284 Green Street, the Enfield Haunting house.

https://enfieldhaunting.com/bill-wilkins/

Perhaps you'd like to change your statement? Maybe you meant there is no proof she was making it up?

Janet was the source, an earthly source, who claimed to be channelling spirits - some 300ish in total. If you believe her or not is up to the individual.

Let us next take an old French case of a noisy sprite in the nunnery of St. Pierre de Lyon.  The account is by Adrien de Montalembert, almoner to Francis I. {110c}  The Bibliography of this very rare tract is curious and deserves attention.  When Lenglet Dufresnoy was compiling, in 1751, his Dissertations sur les Apparitions he reprinted the tract from the Paris quarto of 1528, in black letter.  This example had been in the Tellier collection, and Dufresnoy seems to have borrowed it from the Royal Convent of St. Geneviève.  Knowing that Cardinal Tencin had some acquaintance with the subject, Dufresnoy wrote to him, and publishes (vol. i. cxli.) his answer, dated October 18, 1751, Lyons.  The cardinal replied that, besides the Paris edition of 1528, there was a Rouen reprint, of 1529, by Rolin Gautier, with engravings.  Brunet says, that there are engravings in the Paris edition of 1528, perhaps these were absent from the Tellier example.  That of Rouen, which Cardinal Tencin collated, was in the Abbey of St. Peter, in Lyons.  Some leaves had been thumbed out of existence, and their place was supplied in manuscript.  The only difference was in chapter xxviii. where the printed Rouen text may have varied.  In the MS. at all events, it is stated that on March 21, the spirit of Sister Alix de Telieux struck thirty-three great strokes on the refectory of her convent, ‘mighty and marvellous,’ implying that her thirty-three years of purgatory were commuted into thirty-three days.  A bright light, scarcely endurable, then appeared, and remained for some eight minutes.  The nuns then went into chapel and sang a Te Deum.

At the end of the volume, a later hand added, in manuscript, that the truth of the contemporary record was confirmed by the tradition of the oldest sisters who had received it from eye-witnesses of the earlier generation.  The writer says that she had great difficulty in finding the printed copy, but that when young, in 1630, she received the tale from a nun, then aged ninety-four.  This nun would be born in 1536, ten years after these events.  She got the story from her aunt, a nun, Gabrielle de Beaudeduit, qui étoit de ce tems-la.  There is no doubt that the sisters firmly and piously believed in the story, which has the contemporary evidence of Adrien de Montalembert.  Dufresnoy learned that a manuscript copy of the tract was in the library of the Jesuits of Lyons.  He was unaware of an edition in 12mo of 1580, cited by Brunet.

To come to the story, one of our earliest examples of a ‘medium,’ and of communications by raps.  The nunnery was reformed in 1516.  A pretty sister, Alix de Telieux, fled with some of the jewels, lived a ‘gay’ life, and died wretchedly in 1524.  She it was, as is believed, who haunted a sister named Anthoinette de Grolée, a girl of eighteen.  The disturbance began with a confused half-dream.  The girl fancied that the sign of the cross was made on her brow, and a kiss impressed on her lips, as she wakened one night.  She thought this was mere illusion, but presently, when she got up, she heard, ‘comme soubs ses pieds frapper aucuns petis coups,’ ‘rappings,’ as if at the depth of four inches underground.  This was exactly what occurred to Miss Hetty Wesley, at Epworth, in 1716, and at Rio de Janeiro to a child named ‘C.’ in Professor Alexander’s narrative. {112}  Montalembert says, in 1528, ‘I have heard these rappings many a time, and, in reply to my questions, so many strokes as I asked for were given’.  Montalembert received information (by way of raps) from the ‘spirit,’ about matters of importance, qui ne pourroient estre cogneus de mortelle créature.  ‘Certainly,’ as he adds, ‘people have the best right to believe these things who have seen and heard them.’

Ref.

https://jupiter.ai/books/O9XQ/

and

Poltergeist

by Alan Gauld

the phenomena that sticks out here is the one known as rappings.

Case of Adrien de Montalembert

5 hours ago, macqdor said:

the phenomena that sticks out here is the one known as rappings.

poltergeist with a turn-table? 

• Like 2

On 13/03/2018 at 6:34 AM, ChrLzs said:

This sort of science is utter hogwash, and I challenge the OP to provide cdecent cites and evidence for the claims being made.

why do you bother? you're not going to get a logical rational discussion going with a staunch believer!

Doors and Cabinets

Doors, cabinets, or drawers being opened or closed without human interaction. For example, you may wake the next morning to find some or all of your cabinets in the kitchen opened. You know for sure that you did not open them yourself. Perhaps there's no other person in the home at the time. This can be a good indicator of paranormal phenomena due to the very nature of the amount of effort it takes to open a cabinet door. This is the same for any door; perhaps a bedroom or closet door. In most cases, the person didn't see the movement but heard the sounds instead. But before you assume a ghost is lurking around your home, check for things like faulty hinges, drafts or even pets causing them to open. Always look for reasonable explanations first.

http://www.theparanormalsociety.org/library/articles/ghosts-hauntings/797-signs-of-a-haunting

Opening of doors, cabinets, cupboards and closets unexplainably.  This can be a deceiving symptom.  Wood expands and contracts with age and with the seasons, so just because your bedroom door opens by itself or closes without assistance does not mean your home is haunted.  However, if your door was shut firmly or even locked and is later open when no one else had access to it, a haunting may be to blame.

Wife walked into the kitchen to find ALL of the cupboards, drawers and oven open

http://komonews.com/news/local/contractors-claim-bizarre-events-at-home-where-killer-ted-bundy-grew-up

He also claims some mornings they’d arrive to find several drawers and cabinets opened up. But, Clopton says nothing was taken, and the exterior doors were still locked with the alarm activated.

Doors, cabinets and cupboards opening and closing – Very rarely will the experiencer ever witness this phenomenon take place. 

https://www.gaia.com

Doors and dressers seem to open themselves.

You swear you closed them all before leaving for work, so why is one wide open when you return? Doors, cabinets, and drawers with minds of their own are classic hallmarks of a haunting, Emmons says. It may seem like nothing at first—maybe you got distracted and left the drawer open, or maybe your wife was looking for something—but if the cabinets were securely closed and your wife has been gone all day, it could be a sign of paranormal activity, she says. Emmons once walked into her kitchen to find every cabinet door and drawer open. Freaky. 

Oct 29, 2010 - “So we ran upstairs, and when we got to the kitchen, we found the cupboard doors, about a dozen of them, all standing open at right angles

Poltergeist - Kitchen Cabinet Phenomena

Poltergeist Activity

April 18, 2015

In recent times, I have received an increasing number of inquiries about poltergeist activity. Hence this blog focused upon poltergeists, including guidance on how to avoid and eliminate such activity. A poltergeist is a spirit manifesting its presence by noises and acts of mischief, such as throwing furniture. Living in a home with poltergeist activity can be a very frightening experience. Cupboards fly open, dishes fly across the room and break, wall hangings rattle or fall

CABINETS.jpg

Polterabend Wedding Tradition!

https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?75095-Polterabend-Wedding-Tradition!

The word "Polterabend" comes from German verb poltern (making a lot of noise) + noun Abend (evening). It's the common word used to mean a bachelor party in several other European countries.

It comes from the verb "poltern", which means "to repeatedly make a dull, thudding noise" -- for example, by stamping your feet while walking. Think of the noisy ... Its more general meaning is simply "to make a noise", especially by shouting or smashing things -- hence "Polterabend".

fine reading.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NFwoDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT18&lpg=PT18&dq=origin+of+the+word+poltern&source=bl&ots=uAjoAWAWFH&sig=zbzVa6CeBlCm1SFuYCFaELgckPc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk4Zz40JvaAhVS-lQKHUwrBJo4FBDoAQhIMAY#v=onepage&q=origin of the word poltern&f=false

Poltern.jpg

https://www.myhauntedlifetoo.com/2017/02/22/poltergeist-likes-start-fires/

It all seems to have started when a house burned down a couple of years ago in the village. The firefighters could establish no cause for the mysterious fire that gutted the building. Things got stranger however when rebuilding began. Over the course of 6 days, the fire fighters were called out to no fewer than 45 fires at the property. According to the construction workers and the local fire fighters, things would simply spontaneously combust including articles of clothing, wooden fencing in the garden, and even non-combustible items like fiberglass being used in the rebuilding. The fires were described as ‘cold’ fires lacking heat but destructive none the less. Things got worse however

The couple constantly faced with the fires.

Il’fat and Alsina Musin are newlyweds living in Nizhnekamsk with a baby. The family appealed to local journalists after the tired to endure harassment by aggressive supernatural forces, reports the Chronicle.info with reference to Esoreiter.

The young couple claims that wherever they live (and they have to constantly change residence, renting flats), there is a fire. Nizhnekamsk citizens diligently adhere to all fire safety regulations, however, the fire appears as if from nowhere.

https://sivtimes.com/russian-family-haunted-by-the-poltergeist-the-arsonist/9440/

macqdor - Starting a thread just to post one link after another of various cases makes it difficult for members to discuss any of them.

UM is a discussion forum, what you're doing would be better suited to a blog.

Sorry - Closed.

• The topic was locked