Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Why sharks like it hot - but not too hot

4 posts in this topic

Still Waters

Scientists have calculated the water temperature at which tiger sharks are most active and abundant.

They say the sharks, which are second only to great whites in attacking people, prefer a balmy 22C.

Shark populations may shift range as the oceans heat up, bringing them into greater conflict with humans, according to the scientific study.

For instance, tiger sharks may move into waters off Sydney in both winter and summer months.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43377026

• Like 4

khol

Great whites are spotted occasionally up here.I remember one washing up in Haida Gwaii years ago. I think we can expect there ranges to change as water temps do

this always bothers me  ( from the article )

"In some parts of the world, governments are trying to find ways of dealing with the problem of shark attacks on surfers and swimmers.

These measures include culling programmes, which are highly controversial"

Its akin to culling big cats so you can venture out into the savannah ! Needlessly killing these animals so humans can play in the water is ridiculous. The ocean is there enviorment and needs to respected as such. I spend alot of time in and around the ocean but would think twice swimming in areas prone to shark attacks. 

• Like 4

Matt221

There is one way to solve the problem with sharks and people .... don't go in the water with them 

• Like 2

DebDandelion

Always been my motto. Don't go into their territory... Same applies for giant squids (don't say it)...and all things creepy...u keep your side... I'll keep my side. 

Worked so far...

• Like 3