Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brain Damage and Fundamentalism?

Aquila King

For some reason my "Atheism" detector clicked on? 

Are we talking about banning all religions? 

Yeah, the problem with that is the more you try to eliminate something, the stronger it gets. You need new ideas. Better ones to replace the old. And the new ideas that are floating around now are toxic. Maybe the 21st century is going thru it's terrible two's?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Assembly of God

i had no idea they even existed until you posted it, so i googled it, so what exactly is wrong with them? 

Just now, aztek said:

i had no idea they even existed until you posted it, so i googled it, so what exactly is wrong with them? 

They attack other religions. Christian ones too. Their missionaries still burn our Midi Huts and Pipe Keepers houses. They bring no aid to people. Just friggin Bibles.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

i had no idea

You never fail to astound me with your lack of knowledge of the world outside your own...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

You never fail to astound me with your lack of knowledge of the world outside your own...

Sounds like you're channeling your inner xeno side. Be careful, it's a Mr.Hyde persona.

• Like 5

Just now, XenoFish said:

Sounds like you're channeling your inner xeno side. Be careful, it's a Mr.Hyde persona.

Burnt the masks and chopped off the hair buddy......:devil:

• Like 4

I think I see the problem Piney. You and aztek are going after fundamentalism, I think the big problem is fanaticism. People with an extreme devotion to a belief, well any belief for that matter. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think I see the problem Piney. You and aztek are going after fundamentalism, I think the big problem is fanaticism. People with an extreme devotion to a belief, well any belief for that matter. 

that is exactly right,  violence does not fall under fundamentalism definition,   it is something else, and it has nothing to do with religion.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Piney said:

sure because it is such a well know organisation, it always makes news, it was the first thing i saw in every country i've traveled to, all two dozen of them,  smh.

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

that is exactly right,  violence does not fall under fundamentalism definition,   it is something else, and it has nothing to do with religion.

Neither does fundalmentalism really. Black supremacy, White supremacy, they fall under both definitions....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

sure because it is such a well know organisation, it always makes news, it was the first thing i saw in every country i've traveled to, all two dozen of them,  smh.

As a tourist?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Aquila King said:

If you refuse to be open to the possibility that the above beliefs are not true, then yes, yes you are.

but you do exactly the same thing, even thou you believe you doing opposite, it is you who needs to have your children taken away so you do not teach them hate (masqueraded as something else) you spew here towards other cultures,  putting all cultural groups in one bucket,  i do not want my kids to be exposed to this kind of garbage.

it is not your call to say who deserves to raise their children the way they want to,  the way i see it, your view are extreme, and threatening cultures that peacefuly coexist , whose way of life causes no harm.,  what right to you have to intrude in their lives? in a name of what? imaginary child abuse, that you see due to them being different.   no, you are clear and present danger here, it is your mindset that is  rioting and burning businesses, cars and destroying property, and stage walk out in college when a biology professor says there are only 2 genders,. outright denying science,  is this the open mind you talking about?  violent extremists like that are much bigger danger than all Amishes and hasidic jews combined. you think you are being open minded, but you are no where close, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Piney said:

Neither does fundalmentalism really. Black supremacy, White supremacy, they fall under both definitions....

it does actually, fundamentalism is a religious concept, so no religion, no fundamentalism,  thou i'm sure there are other isms that can be applied

1 minute ago, aztek said:

it does actually, fundamentalism is a religious concept, so no religion, no fundamentalism,  thou i'm sure there are other isms that can be applied

Not really , please note the second definition. 

fun·da·men·tal·ism
[ˌfəndəˈmen(t)lˌizəm]
NOUN
  1. a form of a religion, especially Islam or Protestant Christianity, that upholds belief in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture.
    • strict adherence to the basic principles of any subject or discipline.
      "free-market fundamentalism"
  • Like 3

fun·da·men·tal·ist
ˌfəndəˈmen(t)ələst/
noun

1. 1.
    a person who believes in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture in a religion.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Not really , please note the second definition. 

fun·da·men·tal·ism
[ˌfəndəˈmen(t)lˌizəm]

NOUN
  1. a form of a religion, especially Islam or Protestant Christianity, that upholds belief in the strict, literal interpretation of scripture.
    • strict adherence to the basic principles of any subject or discipline.
      "free-market fundamentalism"

lmao, alternative liberal definition? fundamentalism is synonymous with activism???????, it this from the same place that says there are 40+ genders?  no thanks i'll stick to real dictionary. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

lmao, alternative definition? fundamentalism is synonymous with activism???????, it this from the same place that says there are 40+ genders?  no thanks i'll stick to real dictionary. 

Well that was the oxford but here's Webster again please do see the second definition. :tu:

Definition of fundamentalism

1 a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching
b : the beliefs of this movement
c : adherence to such beliefs
  • a minister noted for his strict fundamentalism
2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles
  • Islamic fundamentalism
  • political fundamentalism
Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, aztek said:

lmao, alternative liberal definition? fundamentalism is synonymous with activism???????, it this from the same place that says there are 40+ genders?  no thanks i'll stick to real dictionary. 

Google?  :lol:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Well that was the oxford but here's Webster again please do see the second definition. :tu:

Definition of fundamentalism

1 a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching
b : the beliefs of this movement
c : adherence to such beliefs
  • a minister noted for his strict fundamentalism
2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles
  • Islamic fundamentalism
  • political fundamentalism

yea, definition so broad anything can be applied. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aztek said:

but you do exactly the same thing, even thou you believe you doing opposite, it is you who needs to have your children taken away so you do not teach them hate (masqueraded as something else) you spew here towards other cultures,  putting all cultural groups in one bucket,  i do not want my kids to be exposed to this kind of garbage.

Oh that is hilarious! And just how exactly am I 'spewing hate towards other cultures' on here? Please, do tell.

Honestly, I have no idea where you get half this s**t that you do.

3 hours ago, aztek said:

it is not your call to say who deserves to raise their children the way they want to,  the way i see it, your view are extreme, and threatening cultures that peacefuly coexist , whose way of life causes no harm.,  what right to you have to intrude in their lives? in a name of what? imaginary child abuse, that you see due to them being different.

There are already numerous laws on the books that tell us how we can and cannot raise our children. Otherwise we would have no need for social services. If you're physically, sexually, and/or verbally abusing your children, you'll have yourself a lengthy jail sentence. Yes, of course there is a wide degree of flexibility in how you can raise your kids, but you can't abuse them while saying "that's just my parenting style, what right do you have to intrude?" Child abuse is not 'imaginary', and it's not a matter of viewing their abuse as 'being different'. We have every right to intrude if your 'parenting' is straight-up abusive.

The entire point of the article that I linked in the OP (which you probably didn't read) was that psychologists have been able to show a link between brain damage and extreme fundamentalism. This would mean that indoctrinating children at an early age into believing things with no rational basis whatsoever, and teaching them never to question it and never to think critically about it, can cause some severe cognitive functioning difficulties in other areas of life as well. It's psychologically damaging, especially to children who's brains are still developing and by definition don't know any better. If we can prove that certain actions can and do cause real and serious brain damage, then would that not be the very definition of child abuse? Of course it is. This isn't as 'radical' and 'extreme' a position as you're making it out to be.

Oh yeah, and again, I would love to know where in the hell you're getting this idea that I'm "threatening cultures that peacefuly coexist, whose way of life causes no harm." Quote me as to when and where I've ever done that.

3 hours ago, aztek said:

no, you are clear and present danger here, it is your mindset that is  rioting and burning businesses, cars and destroying property, and stage walk out in college when a biology professor says there are only 2 genders,. outright denying science,  is this the open mind you talking about?  violent extremists like that are much bigger danger than all Amishes and hasidic jews combined. you think you are being open minded, but you are no where close, 

Seriously, WTF? I've literally never done any of that, nor would I ever support it in the slightest.

You're just assuming an insane amount of things about me out of literally freakin' nowhere.

• Like 7

Social services abuse their power.

www.justicewomen.com/tips_bewarechildprotectiveservices.html

Screwy link. Just copy/paste to your browser.<_<

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Social services abuse their power.

www.justicewomen.com/tips_bewarechildprotectiveservices.html

True that! here in New Jersey the abuse is rampant.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

True that! here in New Jersey the abuse is rampant.

If they ever come after you. They won't leave you alone.

• Like 4