Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Compassion helped Neanderthals to survive

4 posts in this topic

Still Waters

They have an unwarranted image as brutish and uncaring, but new research has revealed just how knowledgeable and effective Neanderthal healthcare was.

The study, by the University of York, reveals that Neanderthal healthcare was uncalculated and highly effective - challenging our notions that they were brutish compared to modern humans.

It is well known that Neanderthals sometimes provided care for the injured, but new analysis by the team at York suggest they were genuinely caring of their peers, regardless of the level of illness or injury, rather than helping others out of self-interest.

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-compassion-neanderthals-survive-reveals.html

• Like 8

Hammerclaw

They were human beings, so much like us we interbred with them. That pretty much says it all, in my book. Quaint Victorian notions concerning them die hard, some still promoted by many, even today. Yet, as time passes, one by one they are proven to be fallacious, mere constructs of human pride and hubris.

• Like 3

Piney

They actually used certain molds for their antibiotic properties so I imagine their herbal medical knowledge was pretty extensive.

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/neanderthal-used-early-version-penicillin-aspirin-n730746

• Like 5

Captain Risky

Somehow I find it strange and funny grouping compassion and Neanderthal together...