Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
johnnyretro

Am I being haunted ?

13 posts in this topic

johnnyretro
Posted (edited)

What is happening 3 days ago I heard a Strange ringing noise in the living room, a bit like a small gong, it rang 4 times, then an hour later 3 times, then some time later it sounded twice but on 1 night only. There is nothing in the house that makes that sound, but I do have a lamp with a metal shade that couId possibly emulate the noise if struck in the right manner. I and a friend have witnessed the smell of burning tobacco, 5 times now, I do not smoke, and my only neighbour was away each time. Also september last year 3 clocks that never worked  for months, all started ticking and all 3 showed the same time 10:50pm. On numerous occasions I have heard banging noises in my spare room and knocking sounds on the side door usually at night, everytime I have rushed outside with a torch but there has been nobody about, and none of my security lights were activated. I am not worried though the gong sound did send shivers down my spine, I just need to find out what on earth is going on. I don't do drugs, I don't drink much, I live alone in a very quiet neighbourhood. The tv/radio were off and as far as I know I'm not cracking up ! Oh yeah and the 2nd time the gong sound was heard I recorded it and a friend on the phone heard it too.... Has Anybody got an explanation or any thoughts on this ? without any stupid crackpot comments...please.

Edited by johnnyretro
added information

Not A Rockstar

Is it possible a flying bug of some sort struck the lamp shade? I had a beetle recently who was doing that to a shade here trying to reach the light and it was a creepy sound until I actually saw it as it flew away in the dark before coming back towards the light. I mean it is late winter early Spring here and I hadn't noticed them around yet :/

johnnyretro

Hi. no, impossible, firstly the lamp was switched off, the sounds were evenly spaced out, and they were fairly loud. Almost as if somebody was purposely banging the shade. I have not been able to recreate the sound, but the lamp shade is the only thing in the room that could, perhaps, make that same sound.

papageorge1
2 hours ago, johnnyretro said:

.. Has Anybody got an explanation or any thoughts on this ? without any stupid crackpot comments...please.

I can't know for sure but I know bong/bang sounds and unexplained smells (like cigarettes) are frequently reported in haunting cases. Even multiple clocks/watches starting/stopping at the same time is not all that rare. You say '3 clocks that never worked  for months, all started ticking and all 3 showed the same time 10:50pm'. It would be a lengthy stretch to write that off as a coincidence. 

Any suspicion on a visiting ghost? Past resident? Family member? Any interesting history to the property?

ChrLzs

What is happening 3 days ago I heard a Strange ringing noise in the living room, a bit like a small gong, it rang 4 times, then an hour later 3 times, then some time later it sounded twice but on 1 night only. There is nothing in the house that makes that sound, but I do have a lamp with a metal shade that couId possibly emulate the noise if struck in the right manner.

A couple of good suggestions above - here where I live we have little geckos that will deliberately tap on things - why, I don't know..  But a larger insect might be attrcated to the lamp (not always from light, might be an odour nearby, or just a clumsy insect.. :)

I and a friend have witnessed the smell of burning tobacco, 5 times now, I do not smoke, and my only neighbour was away each time.

You'd also need to check wind strength and direction - the smell of tobacco is quite strong and could carry quite a ways.

Also september last year 3 clocks that never worked  for months, all started ticking and all 3 showed the same time 10:50pm.

This one... well, I must admit I have my doubts, unless of course they are digital in which case they may all restart at 12:00 and then 10 hours and fifty minutes later...  Are they all plugged into the same circuit, perhaps on a circuit breaker?  If the clocks are analogue ... hmmmm - are you suggesting that they were originally stuck on the same time?  If not, then you are suggesting that somehow every mechanism was adjusted to that time simultaneously - that sounds like a practical joke to me..  But I gotta ask, you kept 3 non-working clocks for months for no reason?  Why would you do that, and presumably you must have kept this little collection together or you wouldn't have noticed the synchronisation?  Me, I either fix or discard any non-working timepieces, as one day you will look at it and think it is right....ouch.   This bit of your report is a little bit fishy...

On numerous occasions I have heard banging noises in my spare room and knocking sounds on the side door usually at night, everytime I have rushed outside with a torch but there has been nobody about, and none of my security lights were activated.

Maybe you should upgrade to video cameras..?

I am not worried though the gong sound did send shivers down my spine, I just need to find out what on earth is going on. I don't do drugs, I don't drink much, I live alone in a very quiet neighbourhood. The tv/radio were off and as far as I know I'm not cracking up ! Oh yeah and the 2nd time the gong sound was heard I recorded it and a friend on the phone heard it too...

So can we hear it?

. Has Anybody got an explanation or any thoughts on this ? without any stupid crackpot comments...please.

Dam,  should have read that bit first.. that's me out.  :D 

• Like 3

XenoFish
8 hours ago, johnnyretro said:

Hi. no, impossible, firstly the lamp was switched off, the sounds were evenly spaced out, and they were fairly loud. Almost as if somebody was purposely banging the shade. I have not been able to recreate the sound, but the lamp shade is the only thing in the room that could, perhaps, make that same sound.

What time did this happen? Was it late at night? Were you asleep or was this during the day?

Just a thought but it could possibly have been something reverberating though the lampshade.

On numerous occasions I have heard banging noises in my spare room and knocking sounds on the side door usually at night, everytime I have rushed outside with a torch but there has been nobody about, and none of my security lights were activated.

Rodent in the walls maybe.

I and a friend have witnessed the smell of burning tobacco, 5 times now,

Do you have any old or second hand furniture? Old furniture can sometimes have trapped smells. Had a kitchen table that always gave off a cigar smell during the spring and summer if it got warm enough. If you do have such an item then this is a possibility. 

Why do you have three broken clocks? 

• Like 2

Piney
15 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Why do you have three broken clocks? 

A excuse to be late for work?

• Like 1

Matt221

Quite often my sister and/ or myself smell the distinct smell of pipe tobbacco it's the district brand that my dad smoked in his pipe he passed away 17 years ago oh yeah I forgot to say my sister lives a few miles down the road I'm not saying it isn't coincidence but we both usually smell it at around the same day/week 

• Like 1

Piney
1 hour ago, Matt221 said:

Quite often my sister and/ or myself smell the distinct smell of pipe tobbacco it's the district brand that my dad smoked in his pipe he passed away 17 years ago oh yeah I forgot to say my sister lives a few miles down the road I'm not saying it isn't coincidence but we both usually smell it at around the same day/week 

A  "captured memory". It's a good thing if it reminds you of happy times.

• Like 1

moonman
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

This one... well, I must admit I have my doubts, unless of course they are digital in which case they may all restart at 12:00 and then 10 hours and fifty minutes later...  Are they all plugged into the same circuit, perhaps on a circuit breaker?  If the clocks are analogue ... hmmmm - are you suggesting that they were originally stuck on the same time?  If not, then you are suggesting that somehow every mechanism was adjusted to that time simultaneously - that sounds like a practical joke to me..  But I gotta ask, you kept 3 non-working clocks for months for no reason?  Why would you do that, and presumably you must have kept this little collection together or you wouldn't have noticed the synchronisation?  Me, I either fix or discard any non-working timepieces, as one day you will look at it and think it is right....ouch.   This bit of your report is a little bit fishy...

That's exactly what I thought about the three clocks thing. It makes no sense. How could someone possibly know all three started at the same time, unless they are all together and you are standing there watching them? Why are they around in the first place?

That whole part of the story makes me doubt the rest.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1

Not A Rockstar

My Dad had a thing about clocks and when he passed last Fall I had to go through that and get rid of them to appropriate journeys :). Two were very old antique cuckoo clocks that had quit working over the years and were kept as family heirlooms. Dad was always going to fix them :)  Now, my brother is gonna fix em someday :D (right).

But, sadly, they did not suddenly start ticking when he died a room away or anything fun like that. They just stayed broken.

papageorge1
20 minutes ago, moonman said:

That whole part of the story makes me doubt the rest.

Remember, the people who tell experiences here are typically not professional writers but are intelligent. Although he did not give us the whole story on the clocks, I assume there is likely more to the story that made it suggest the paranormal.

I wouldn’t disrespect the story before asking for clarification in a polite way.

moonman
58 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Remember, the people who tell experiences here are typically not professional writers but are intelligent. Although he did not give us the whole story on the clocks, I assume there is likely more to the story that made it suggest the paranormal.

I wouldn’t disrespect the story before asking for clarification in a polite way.

Cool story bro.