Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stephen Hawking dies aged 76

Waspie_Dwarf

Stephen Hawking dies aged 76

World renowned physicist Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.

He died peacefully at his home in Cambridge in the early hours of Wednesday, his family said.

arrow3.gif  Read More: BBC News

• Like 4

I think he was a true example of where there is life, there is hope.  RIP, Prof Hawking.

• Like 6

A  amazing guy. He'll be missed. Safe trip down the Star Path Dr. Hawkn.

• Like 3

A loss to the entire world as he wasn't just brilliant but inspirational as well.  These people come along so rarely that we are all poorer for their passing, RIP.

• Like 4

Such sad news - he will be missed.

• Like 4

Respect.  Admiration and Abiding Love Sir.

• Like 3

A legend has passed.

Not just an icon for his scientific genius, but an inspiration for how he battled a terribly debilitating disease, and someone who'll be fondly remembered for his contributions to pop culture.

A great man.

RIP.

• Like 5

Ironically, he passed away on Pi Day. Brilliant man, brilliant mind, he will be missed by many. 

• Like 5

I'm really saddened by this news. The world has suffered a great loss today.

My heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him. He was and always will be a great man of courage and inspiration. 

With much respect - RIP Prof Hawking

• Like 4

Hail and farewell, Professor Hawking. Great teacher of the world, he has earned his peace.  The man took us with him on one  great cosmic ride.  

• Like 6

An astounding inspiration he was in so many ways.

Farewell Mr Hawking - RIP

• Like 4

You left a big mark on this world. Good Journey sir, you'll be missed.

• Like 1

Amazing how over half a century ago he was given only a couple of years to live. If my maths is right, Hawking lived for three days longer than Einstein. I am sure they are now in a parallel universe discussing that very fact!

• Like 2

At university, when his classmates could only solve 3 or 4 of the extra problems in a physics textbook, Hawking, in only a few hours solved all of them. A classmate said, "We always though Steven was from around the block, now we realized he was from another planet!"

• Like 1

And so passes another great genius. May others stand on his shoulders to advance the knowledge of humanity. 

• Like 3

Sorry to hear the news but glad to be alive to personally witness this great man's achievements. 

The world has lost a collosal mind and a wonderful character. 

So pleased to see all the comments as positive. 

• Like 3

Every once in a while, if the time is right, we have a light that shines bright enough for all of us people living in perpetual darkness to get a glimpse of the wonders of the universe, even for just a moment. Thanks Mr. Hawking and RIP.

• Like 3

Rest i peace, Professor Hawking. May your family and friends know strength and comfort. Your journey through life and your indomitable spirit in fighting such a horrible disease, have made this world a better place. You were and are a great inspiration.

• Like 3

One little known fact about Stephen ...

~

Stephen Hawking's secret to surviving his terrible condition? A sense ...

20 hours ago - “Keeping an active mind has been vital to my survival, as has maintaining a sense of humor,” Hawking said in a 2013 documentary. “I am probably better known for my appearances on 'The Simpsons' and on “The Big Bang Theory” than I am for my scientific discoveries.” That humor was deployed against a ...

~

Just 9 times Stephen Hawking showed off his excellent sense of humour

www.dailyedge.ie/nice-things-funny-things-about-stephen-hawking-3902863-Mar20...
15 hours ago - However, one of the best things about Dr. Hawking was his wonderful sense of humour and quick wittedness which made him an incredibly popular and much loved figure among scientists and non-scientists alike. His appearances in everything from the Simpsons to Star Trek only added to that. Here are a ...

~

7 hours ago - FILE - In this Wednesday, July 21, 1999 file photo Professor Stephen Hawking smiles during a news conference at the University of Potsdam, near Berlin, Germany. Hawking, whose brilliant mind ranged across time and space though his body was paralyzed by disease, has died, a family spokesman said ...

~

~

[00.03:33]

~

Best lesson ever learned and taught ...

~

• Like 2

Where does one begin when it comes to a legend such as Professor Hawking passing, throughout your achievements and accolades, discoveries and theories.....I would like to thank you for making the universe a more understandable and fascinating place for us all....RIP sir, safe journey.....

free.thumb.JPG.b214c5ac675f18feb0626ec3fa03524b.JPG

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

If my maths is right, Hawking lived for three days longer than Einstein.

Hawking was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death and died on Einstein's birthday.

As a professor at Cambridge he held the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics... a position once held by Newton.

On the shoulders of giants indeed. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Hawking was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death and died on Einstein's birthday.

As a professor at Cambridge he held the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics... a position once held by Newton.

On the shoulders of giants indeed. 

Good grief: whilst working out Einstein's and Hawking's ages when they died, I wrote down their birthdays and "death days" but didn't see the coincidence!

So very sad! I'm in shock still. Truly everyday he had on this earth with us was a blessing in and of itself. He's been a hero of mine since I was in my mid teens. He had a HUGE influence on my interest in physics and cosmology and my view of life and the world around us. I knew the day would come but it still doesn't make it any easier. 

• Like 1